• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I fought the LAW and I WON!

FDNY129

This story is for all those guys that have been told "NO" because the Deuce is a bit different and very misunderstood.

As many of you may or may not know, Long Island NY, is the largest island in the continental USA. It is 118 miles long, extending eastward from New York City. It is only 20 miles North to South shore. This being said, we are basically surrounded at all points by a beach, never more than a ten minute drive from anywhere. The center of the island, while very polpulated, also has thousands of acre of Pine forest. EVERY inch of this island is protected by liberals, and there is minimal off-roading allowed. There is no forest driving allowed anywhere. Beach driving is only permitted in a few spots. The permit is $75 per year, and you are only allowed to drive on 15 miles of the 300 mile coastline. Sad indeed.

The rules of beach driving are very strict here. You must have a FOUR WD vehicle (NOT ALL WD), there's a huge list of tools to carry, and you can not go over 10 MPH. When I applied for my permit, I was asked to present a registration and insurance which I gladly provided. The clerk did not know what the truck was, because it "wasn't in the computer" so clearly it never existed. The y have Jeeps, Mogs, Hummers, but no M35s. I had to go home, print up literature on the truck, and bring it back. Now I get the "Oh its too big, and its not FOUR wheel drive". My reply is that SIX wheel drive supercedes FOUR wheel drive, and my truck is MUCH more capable than a Lexus or Mercedes SUV with a yuppy behind the wheel that doesn't know how to "air down". It also a lot lighter than a Dually pickup carrying a huge camper on the back, which they DO allow. I also made my point clear that I have been off-roading for over 15 years and would be more considerate to the beach than ANY 17 year old kid who is borrowing his dads truck for teh night. Debate ensues, I leave without permit.

I went home, printed tons more, downloaded YOUTUBE videos and returned with my laptop the next day. This time I asked for a supervisor. I spoke with the local manager for the Parks Department. She said that she was just unsure because NO ONE had ever applied for such a vehicle to gain permit in this county. I expressed my understanding in their confusion and that it is an unusual vehicle. However it still has every right to drive on sand, just like the SUV imports, Jeeps, pickups, etc. We talked for a bit, and I gave them some good, solid information about the rig. I informed her that the local Fire Departments use these trucks for forestry, and that if it can push down huge trees while 2 feet deep in swamp water, it certainly is capable on a sandy beach. She said that the book reads "Vehicles MUST HAVE FOUR WHEEL DRIVE", but besides this, it meets ALL other requirements. I asked that this issue be promptly brought to the top. The longer we debate, the longer the summer goes on and I lose valuable beach time.

I called that office the next day and spoke to her again. She was nice enough to have promptly contacted her Commisioner (that is the #1 boss in the county for Parks Dept) that morning. He stated that if it supercedes FOUR wheel drive, then we have no issue. The vehicle is capable from the factory, case closed.

I show up again, hand over my Registration and $75, walk out with permit.

Here's the BEST part: I pull up to the Beach parking lot, decided to air down a bit, just to test the rig. While I'm airing down, the guy in the booth that checks IDs walks over, says "nice Rig, i drove one in the war", I told him to jump in the seat and have a smell, start her up even. We chat, he smiles, I'm happy to have made his day.....Now I hit the beach, nice and slow to respect all parties, and I hear all the whistling starting. Heads start turning, cameras start flashing, people are jumping up and down with excitement. Girls in bikinis are smiling at me, fat guys with beer-belly are smiling even bigger at me, HAHA. Its like being in a holiday parade, but on the sand with a great water view! Its an amazing feeling. My brother was driving behind me in his Dodge Pickup. He said that we should rename the truck "whiplash" because eveyones heads were spinning around so fast to see the truck going by. He also said that everyone in path behind me loved driving in my tracks, it was liked packed pavement.

I feel like I have pioneered a new privilege for MVs in New York, the cutting of some red tape even. Getting this permit, altough expensive and stressful, has been the best thing I've ever done for my truck. I am able to enjoy it SO much more than before. This is a lesson learned, if someone tells you "NO", and you think you have a good legitimate case to fight,...THEN FIGHT IT. We all have rights, don't let someone who is uneducated restrict our hobby!

***SOME PIX POSTED IN MY FOLDER, more will be posted here later....

zout

129 - that is a great area out there.

Every weekend preceeding Memorial day weekend yrs ago - I use to have to deliver hand picked flowers for the people that owned Woolworths Store and lived in a huge - enormous mansion on the shore drive right dab smack on the end of the Island - close enough to pitch stones at the Montauk lighthouse.

There were many facets of "who" these folks were that make it even more interesting - and if you are from out there - you know what I mean.

Tidbit of info - Indians use to canoe from Manhattan out to the end of the island and also had runners that traveled the entire distance

Great story you have and glad to see a REP in the area - need to carry a Chiropractor with you and make some money from the head spinners

maynard83

I didn't think I would like these painted up in any color other than OD or Camo, but I have to say that yours looks awesome! And a great also a great tribute to NYFD. Oh and the chicks are "Nice" too...

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I used to live in Westbury, LI. I just can't understand what you mean about the people out there. ;-)

Good looking truck and ornament on the driver's fender.

sw

wildbilly1760

Awesome truck. I like the HOUSE OF PAIN on the bumper. A very nice win for the MV family. Thanks for following through and getting your truck approved. So now others may follow in your tracks. Nice pics also. Bill

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Zout and I had a misunderstanding about our two posts in this thread. After going back through I think I see the problem. I was referring to the people out there from what fdny129 said at the start, the liberals.

No worries on my part. We handled it with a PM.

sw

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks