• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I get the flu on Wednesday

Mittzlepick

Ive been waiting 20 years this. I drove 45hrs round trip with my son. Maine to Ga on inauguration day to inspect. It a good tractor. I got insurance no problem and a plate is next. A local company fox machinery has a whole machine hydro seal kit which may fit i will repost on that. pinspanner and seal install kit as well.

SpoiledSpud

Ive been waiting 20 years this. I drove 45hrs round trip with my son. Maine to Ga on inauguration day to inspect. It a good tractor. I got insurance no problem and a plate is next. A local company fox machinery has a whole machine hydro seal kit which may fit i will repost on that. pinspanner and seal install kit as well.
No photos to share from your inspection? You know we love seeing FLU photos of our new family Members. Congratulations. 😎👍

Mittzlepick

No photos to share from your inspection? You know we love seeing FLU photos of our new family Members. Congratulations. 😎👍
Well it looks like all the rest but qhen its home and i figure out how to post a pic or 20 i will. Guy cut a hole in the hood and put a rubber flap for some dumb reason and tossed the piece. Time to learn the English wheel i guess.

SpoiledSpud

Well it looks like all the rest but qhen its home and i figure out how to post a pic or 20 i will. Guy cut a hole in the hood and put a rubber flap for some dumb reason and tossed the piece. Time to learn the English wheel i guess.
Condition wise, the certainty all don’t look alike. 😂 Hopefully you got a good one.

dmetalmiki

Hmm, So what am I to congratulate you on obtaining?. I thought you had the flu virus, or the 'jab'!.
You obviously know what you bought....But I have no clue at at all...At least post a picture please.

Mittzlepick

Got her here. Air in fuel issues. New primer installed with washer. Does it have a lift pump? Filters on their way. And sediment screen cleaned need to check for air leaks there as well i guess

Speedwoble

Got her here. Air in fuel issues. New primer installed with washer. Does it have a lift pump? Filters on their way. And sediment screen cleaned need to check for air leaks there as well i guess
No lift pump in the tank. There is a lift pump in the IP, so the supply line is under vacuum. Hence any leaks let in air. Look for Peakbagger’s advice to wrap joints with rubber line and compress with a hose clamp to stop the hard lines from being a source of air leaks.

Mittzlepick

Rhis is all related to seller cleaning sediment filter so with new prime pump i guess i babdaid the sediment filter gasket and hope its as told and that is tge next thing to feel out. And get two fuel filters from napa to see if they pkay into the equation after i see if the imair issue is related to the messed with omparts first. It goes good until a hill cones into play idles a long run till it pooches. Seller said they used it as a backhoe for hours no issue and i think he's an honest guy so i hope steps listed are all i need for it. I didn't teflon the new primer pump as it came with an aluminum ring seal so naybe ill try that after dinner. Just because it came with it doesn't mean its right right? Since its listed as compatable with many mb models

Speedwoble

Rhis is all related to seller cleaning sediment filter so with new prime pump i guess i babdaid the sediment filter gasket and hope its as told and that is tge next thing to feel out. And get two fuel filters from napa to see if they pkay into the equation after i see if the imair issue is related to the messed with omparts first. It goes good until a hill cones into play idles a long run till it pooches. Seller said they used it as a backhoe for hours no issue and i think he's an honest guy so i hope steps listed are all i need for it. I didn't teflon the new primer pump as it came with an aluminum ring seal so naybe ill try that after dinner. Just because it came with it doesn't mean its right right? Since its listed as compatable with many mb models
I would never put Teflon tape on a fuel component.

peakbagger

It definitely sounds like you need to go through it for the normal issues. The operations manual has very good section on routine maintenance where you start on one corner and work your way around the rig. Yes the fuel system is going to take some time to debug. Assuming you cleaned the fuel filters, then its highly likely you have air leaks under vacuum on the fuel system.

Some folks on this site use their backhoe at idle speed with the hand throttle set at high idle. The rig may run fine but if you use the backhoe the way it was intended then you use the throttle button on the pedestal to crank up the engine speed when you need it. If you have fuel issues no doubt the engine will stall.

The big thing you need to understand is that this is complex machine that needs maintenance. Since you do not know what was done before to it you need to assume nothing has been done. If the maintenance is not done you could be doing permanent damage trying to run it that will be very expensive to fix. Crap in the air system eventually works its way into various control systems and the brake booster. Get it out now before that happens as the parts are hundreds of dollars and you may need to tilt the cab to fix them. Low or dirty portal axle fluid will lead to having to rebuild the portal axles and that is a major effort. If the diff lock cylinders need draining and lubrication and if its not done they can seize and then its less than a hundred bucks of parts and near total disassembly of the axles.

Mittzlepick

I would never put Teflon tape on a fuel component.
Yohr probably right, bit o teflon in my pump wouldn't be tasty. I can hear the air when priming but can't locate it. Might be the shutoff or dirt filter id ask my girlfriend but she wont talk to me after this. She wanted a labradoodle as a jogging mate 5k for a dog ? At least my unimog can did a hole and can get dirty

Mittzlepick

It definitely sounds like you need to go through it for the normal issues. The operations manual has very good section on routine maintenance where you start on one corner and work your way around the rig. Yes the fuel system is going to take some time to debug. Assuming you cleaned the fuel filters, then its highly likely you have air leaks under vacuum on the fuel system.

Some folks on this site use their backhoe at idle speed with the hand throttle set at high idle. The rig may run fine but if you use the backhoe the way it was intended then you use the throttle button on the pedestal to crank up the engine speed when you need it. If you have fuel issues no doubt the engine will stall.

The big thing you need to understand is that this is complex machine that needs maintenance. Since you do not know what was done before to it you need to assume nothing has been done. If the maintenance is not done you could be doing permanent damage trying to run it that will be very expensive to fix. Crap in the air system eventually works its way into various control systems and the brake booster. Get it out now before that happens as the parts are hundreds of dollars and you may need to tilt the cab to fix them. Low or dirty portal axle fluid will lead to having to rebuild the portal axles and that is a major effort. If the diff lock cylinders need draining and lubrication and if its not done they can seize and then its less than a hundred bucks of parts and near total disassembly of the axles.
That my plan to get it to garage and change all fluids seal up air leaks. Probably disconect gladhands at source of connection since i wont ever use them. Brakelone dryer is intact just dry , fill that today.

Mittzlepick

Got the air in fuel issue mostly figured out. Either previous owner when he cleaned sediment filter and couldnt start it pulled the fuel lines off and crossed them or the pickup side is broken. got a line going Into the tank and it runs right. Recieved the expedition imports filter kit and bought a fuel pump as my 20 mile trip to the diy garage in camden maine took an hour. I assume it should chug up mountain hills better than it did. I found a "local" source up here fox machine company he had the whole seal kit for the rear hydraulics. He said bring the fronts and he will set me up. If anyone knows what the fronts bucket seals are that would be a bonus. Thats all for now.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks