• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I give you Marty Robbins

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-y3DB0wLh4

For all those wondering about me.

Official 1435 miles.

The odometer on the civy vehicle on the way over said 3100. It wasn't until almost in Rockmart that I realized....it's in kilometers...DUH. And I had been thinking, I need to get me one of these--what great gas mileage.

Obviously the deuce on the way back read miles.

Thanks to everyone on the route. I met some really great folks--again. As truth would have it, when you imagine people they don't look what you imagine in real life. Goldneagle, I expected you to be younger. Red, I expected to find you in a house with a PO'd wife because I interrupted dinner and 2 or 3 kids running around. LOL, the furthest from the truth.

After I left Red, I had ~250 miles and it took nearly 12 hours to do that. I had my 3rd hot meal in a week at a truck stop. The meal and the less stress about the stuff I had left at Red's brought on the Z monster in spades. I found myself driving an hour, sleeping an hour, driving and hour, sleeping two hours...... Of course it was also probably the anticlimax of not having to meet some PO'd wife with 2 or 3 kids going crazy that also brought it on.

Oh and for the schmuck that put that on my steering wheel, payback is a @#$%^. I have it narrowed to three people and I'll probably have to get all three of you just to ensure I probably properly pay back the right one.

I'm sore, gonna take the day to recover myself.

A lot more to do in the future. Think it is time to restore the ole gal. I curse her on the trip but she always seems to get me home no matter how much I get worried about if she's going to make.

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Not your fault but caused me to become verklempt, that was my Dad's favorite song. It reminded him of his youth when he was stationed down there IMG_0001.jpg back when the cavalry still rode and morning stables were done in a stable.

Glad your trip was a safe one.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Carnac, we wonder about you, but not your trip. We wonder about that void between the ears!

Glad you made it safe. What was on the steering wheel?!
nopics

zout

Tibit for you Carnac.
Marty wrote that song on a airliner in flight while flying over El Paso.

I know you enjoy interesting facts so: Angus (lead guitar) was looking at the back of a radio while they were kids along with his brother - on the back of the radio it said AC/DC - that is how they came up with their band name - it is also Angus's sister that talked him into wearing the school boy uniform on stage in nearly all of their performances - gotta listen to your sisters.

carry on mister

Last edited:

goldneagle

Glad you made it home safe. I thought you'd be shorter. Was an enjoyable visit. You are welcome any time you pass by these parts. :driver:

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
When I started trucking in 1977 they had several all night trucker stations. One was WLW in New Oreans. They were AM stations but you could hear them for several states. I loved to hear Marty Robbins, Red Sovine, Dave Dudley and other country stars as I was driving on through the night.
El Paso is my favorite MR song to this day. But if you watch this you can never listen to it again with out seeing Steve Martin in your head.
http://klaq.com/steve-martin-does-el-paso-video/

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We were probably following the same route, at least to just before San Antonio. You didn't see a truck being driven by 3 half awake guys towing a Goat did you?

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
No, nothing like that and I would have noticed. I did see the accident with the 100% melted vehicle on the east bound side of I-10 somewhere east of SATX.

We were probably following the same route, at least to just before San Antonio. You didn't see a truck being driven by 3 half awake guys towing a Goat did you?

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not your fault but caused me to become verklempt, that was my Dad's favorite song. It reminded him of his youth when he was stationed down there View attachment 540002 back when the cavalry still rode and morning stables were done in a stable.

Glad your trip was a safe one.
That photo takes me back. I was taught to ride and jump by an old calvary sergeant at Ft Meade. That old man was rough as a cob, but he knew how to train horsemen. I also cleaned stables to help pay for lessons.

Sorry for the sidetrack.

Marty Robbins is also one of my favorite singers, and I must have a dozen or so of his songs on my computer - Old Red, Big Iron, El Paso and El Paso City, Streets of Laredo, Cool Water, Don't Worry 'Bout Me, Ghost Riders. In fact, I just had to stop and put them on again. Thanks!

Another Ahab

That photo takes me back. I was taught to ride and jump by an old calvary sergeant at Ft Meade. That old man was rough as a cob, but he knew how to train horsemen. I also cleaned stables to help pay for lessons.

Sorry for the sidetrack.

Marty Robbins is also one of my favorite singers, and I must have a dozen or so of his songs on my computer - Old Red, Big Iron, El Paso and El Paso City, Streets of Laredo, Cool Water, Don't Worry 'Bout Me, Ghost Riders. In fact, I just had to stop and put them on again. Thanks!
Ghost Riders in the Sky.

Lot of covers done of that one; including Johnny Cash.

A Classic, for the Ages.

Last edited:

red

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-y3DB0wLh4

For all those wondering about me.

Official 1435 miles.

The odometer on the civy vehicle on the way over said 3100. It wasn't until almost in Rockmart that I realized....it's in kilometers...DUH. And I had been thinking, I need to get me one of these--what great gas mileage.

Obviously the deuce on the way back read miles.

Thanks to everyone on the route. I met some really great folks--again. As truth would have it, when you imagine people they don't look what you imagine in real life. Goldneagle, I expected you to be younger. Red, I expected to find you in a house with a PO'd wife because I interrupted dinner and 2 or 3 kids running around. LOL, the furthest from the truth.

After I left Red, I had ~250 miles and it took nearly 12 hours to do that. I had my 3rd hot meal in a week at a truck stop. The meal and the less stress about the stuff I had left at Red's brought on the Z monster in spades. I found myself driving an hour, sleeping an hour, driving and hour, sleeping two hours...... Of course it was also probably the anticlimax of not having to meet some PO'd wife with 2 or 3 kids going crazy that also brought it on.

Oh and for the schmuck that put that on my steering wheel, payback is a @#$%^. I have it narrowed to three people and I'll probably have to get all three of you just to ensure I probably properly pay back the right one.

I'm sore, gonna take the day to recover myself.

A lot more to do in the future. Think it is time to restore the ole gal. I curse her on the trip but she always seems to get me home no matter how much I get worried about if she's going to make.
Hahahaha sorry about having no angry wife and screaming kids to greet you. Not the typical oilfield guy you were expecting haha.

Glad you made it home safe, was good to finally meet you!

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No, nothing like that and I would have noticed. I did see the accident with the 100% melted vehicle on the east bound side of I-10 somewhere east of SATX.
Did you think to count burn spots indicating where similar incidents have happened? It is a common occurrence these days.