• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I got a stupid question

SteelNinja

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My brake fluid needed topped off so I put in dot5 , but now Im thinking how do I know what fluid was in it to start with? it is a menmphis equipment truck ( if anyone knows what they might use..
I got to drive my deuce in the am cause my transmission went out in my work truck.. So driving the deuce is a must.. any advice is appreciated

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well I suppose you could stick your finger in there and see if the fluid has that distinctive old school brake fluid smell. Regardless you probably don’t need to flush the system tonight.

SteelNinja

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I may see in the morning If I can get all the bleeder screws to break loose then just run the dot5 thru it? Im guessing start bleeding at the right rear and work my way up to the airpack. Thanks

SteelNinja

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I got the fluid out ( never did push the pedal when I refilled it)
Memphis Equipment was helpful they said" they convert all dot 5 to dot 3
now theres a new problem I started bleeding the master on the bleeder at the master cylinder /air pack.. It bleed fine but the pedal got worse, so I went to the rear and bleed the right rear and lost all pedal... Its doing nothing except at the very very bottom of the pedal .. I dont see how. The air pack bad? bad master cylinder? its been a rough week - even my dog had to go to the vet and they cant figure whats wrong.. I dont think he'll make it.. anyway any advice would be great. Thanks

HDN

Was the existing fluid the same color you poured in? Purple like the silicone DOT5, or clear/ yellow for DOT3. Hopefully you can tell if you crack a bleeder.
I don't believe that's always reliable as DOT-5 will turn yellowish as it gets older.

I didn't realize that Memphis Equipment put DOT-3 in their trucks - that's good to know! I'm guessing they'd put DOT-5 in them if you wanted them to, but you'd probably have to pay for that.

I did a quick search on here and found a post from about 16 years ago that details how to tell which brake fluid you have in your brake system:

1. Get a dropper (an eye or ear-dropper) and withdraw some fluid from the master cylinder.
2. Put it into a glass jar and then add some clean water to the fluid.
3. Now put the lid on the jar and shake it well.
4. Let it stand for a few minutes.
5. If the water and the fluid have mixed thoroughly and can not be separately identified, then you have regular auto brake fluid.
6. However, if the water and the fluid have not mixed, or have formed blobs or layers, then the fluid is Silicone.
For reference, DOT-5 is silicone-based.

Last edited:

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I have a stupid question too. After removing the DOT 5, could you use DOT 3 in a Gamagoat? DOT 5 was used in them because they were, allegedly, amphibious. Thanks
I think the Goat was built back in the days when nothing was available EXCEPT regular old DOT3.
Maybe I missed my guess - or maybe time has flown by me...

There is no reason why if you blow out the fluid you have - that you can go back with DOT 3.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Goats were manufactured with dot 3 but got converted over to silicone in the 80s like everything else the Army had. Silicone fluid is perfect for vehicles not driven very much.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks