• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I Got My M1009 Stuck

niferous

What are they rated for strength wise, and how much....
Two basic configurations would be:

3" x 25' 4 ply with reinforced eyes each end. Vertical Work Load of 16,450 lbs and a 5/1 dynamic (think popping) workload. $165.00

4" x 25' 4 ply with reinforced eyes each end. Vertical Work Load of 20,400 lbs and a 5/1 dynamic (think popping) workload. $218.00

So a lot more than those straps you can buy at Tractor Supply or Lowe's but I guarantee you would not have broken just one of these pulling yourself out. They use these off shore to hoist stuff up with cranes.

Last edited:

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It ain't torque, and I'm not trying to enter the peeing contest either. In mud there is low traction, therefore there is low torque. Speed of the tires is what matters, and flotation. High range, IMHO, and spinning tires will give more cleaning action for the tread and more traction.

Probably most important, airing down the tires to bare minimum is also important, gaining flotation. The reason the Sammi's do so well is they have huge tires compared to weight, and they would run those tires spinning fast as the little mouse could push them.

BTW, no amount of jacking up a body above the axles will get you unstuck. If you can't get the axle out of the muck then it's time to get out the Hi-Lift and the boards you always carry in the truck, right?

Mud is horrible stuff. You can have it LOL

Bob

speed control, take pressure off the transmission to prevent failure (tire size),"torque" is traction, somebody chime in there's more.....:-D

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Kenny, how much lift on your CUCV? Looks great. Recovery straps!!!!! Material is always in question. Some strapping, especially lift slings are not designed to stretch and retract. Think of them as soft chains. Actual recovery straps work just like the AKERR (Allied Kinetic Energy Recovery Rope) used to recover armor. I have all mine made up by www.strapman.com 4" for the CUCV and Burb, 6" for the deuces. 4" rated at 40,000# anf 6" rated at 60,000#. My burb doesn't have enough weight to stretch the 6" strap so it relys on the 4". If you can't get your recovery strap to stretch, it's not working to the best of it's ability. The Strapman is not cheap but neither are his products.

dskchevy

If you don't have a fist full of cash & need tires you may want to try treadwright.com they are in edgemont,SD
I have bought 2 sets... 31/10.50/15 & 285/75/16 in mtr tread yes they are recaps but the 15's were $339.00 + shipping ($100 to Texas) the 16's $426.80 + $ 100 shipping ....

I know the dirty word "recap" I have had the 15's over a year & the 16's a little less ...
I love them & no I do not work for them I"m just a happy customer!!!!:-D

Attachments

KI4GSN

I'd like to know how the tires hold up over time, they're one of the ones in contention for my 1 ton.

And don't even mess with a 10k tow rope, you'll just make it mad. If it's not rated for more than 20 or 25k, it isn't even worth messing with. 2cents

dskchevy

I have over 10,000 miles on the ones on the M1009 in the pic & about 8,000 on the 4dr but I sold the 4dr last month...
Like I said I love them.........:-D

ChevyFan1207

M1009 Fiend, I did the same dang thing. I had mine for about a month, and we'd been playing in some mud in the woods, so I decided to take on something a little deeper. I was going it through it a little slow and I got high centered. It took just about everything it had for my buddy's 80 something 4 banger toyota to pull me out backwards, but after he did, I hit it a little faster and didn't let out. Made it through easy.

I do not run 33 Wangler MT/R on mine.
I run 37 inch
Dang! That's a sharp and beastly truck! Nice.

If you don't have a fist full of cash & need tires you may want to try treadwright.com they are in edgemont,SD
I'll be buying a set for my mine around Feb. or March. Mine's just a toy and everything I've read about treadwright seems like they have a great product.

KI4GSN

I have over 10,000 miles on the ones on the M1009 in the pic & about 8,000 on the 4dr but I sold the 4dr last month...
Like I said I love them.........:-D
That isn't too bad at all. I would imagine an M1009 is about as hard on tires as a one ton civy truck. Thanks [thumbzup]

Somemedic

I bought the ol lady some new tires for her jeep about 6mos ago. I have some cupping on the rear tire. I will be speaking to the gurus at wallyworld asking for some pro rating/replacing real soon.

My point is recaps, if done right, are probably as good as brand new tires. With proper maintainence and rotation they would fair as well.

Midnight Rider

If those Ford's were running on the stock tires, then there's the problem. The stock tires on Ford's aren't worth spit when it comes to off road.

My brother-in-law, got his brand new F250 4x4 stuck awhile back trying to pull out his tractor. I pulled him out and then the tractor with my 1009. All his tires did, was make a bunch of ruts in the field.

But you're not having fun unless you get stuck anyway. :-D

kenny

Kenny, how much lift on your CUCV? Looks great. Recovery straps!!!!! Material is always in question. Some strapping, especially lift slings are not designed to stretch and retract. Think of them as soft chains. Actual recovery straps work just like the AKERR (Allied Kinetic Energy Recovery Rope) used to recover armor. I have all mine made up by www.strapman.com 4" for the CUCV and Burb, 6" for the deuces. 4" rated at 40,000# anf 6" rated at 60,000#. My burb doesn't have enough weight to stretch the 6" strap so it relys on the 4". If you can't get your recovery strap to stretch, it's not working to the best of it's ability. The Strapman is not cheap but neither are his products.
It is a 4 inch lift and my strap is 150 foot of 80 thousand pound kevlar rope.

86M10086.2L

My recovery weapon of choice is a 16 ton rated French miltary surplus armor tow rope. I'll break something on my truck before it does. However a large winch (10-12K) and most likely hydraulic, is deffinately in my future.