• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I got some information back from M.A.N on the Multifuel Engine.

Rolling_Eudaimonia

So I have to say I was wrong about the engine in many respects:
1) the depression in the piston is not due to compression ratio.
2) the actual combustion chamber is in the piston.

It is a curious design since the combustion chamber is actually part of the piston itself, that is very unusual. But it does allow them to do two things: one have a hemispherical combustion combustion with direct injection; and, two maintain the overhead valves without adopting some form of overhead camshaft arrangement. However, I don't see how this feature alone is doing anything different than a normal hemispherical chamber would if you had installed two camshafts one for intake and one for exhaust with the injector direction in the center of the combustion chamber. The effect would be exactly the same. You would get the maximum amount of air-flow mixture for the volume of the cylinder . Also you get the optimum position for the valves as well. And the write up seems to indicate the design was common to M.A.N engines of the era that they all had some form of chamber in the piston for combustion, the only difference was that M engines had it directly in the center line of the piston to create a true hemispherical combustion chamber with optimized direct injection. They are unclear in these documents exactly to the theory behind the hemispherical combustion chamber and its effects on the usage of other fuels, they allude to multi-fuel aspects being solved somewhere else. I'm not sure but I have more stuff coming by mail...

Hopefully that will shed more light on the theory behind the engine's operation.

Attachments

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
On most diesel engines, the fuel is atomized when sprayed into the engine, and promply ignites and burns, creating a flame front which pushes the piston down in the usual manner. In the multifuel, fuel is squirted into the bowl in the piston. Only then does it evaporate, instantaneously burn, and push down the piston. Since the only variable is the evaporation rate of the fuel, which the "FDC" compensates for, any fuel can be burned without the detonation that would occur in a diesel engine. Continental called it "Hypercycle". The earliest LDS427's have a cool plate on the valve cover stating "Continental HYPERCYCLE"

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks