• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I got the broke deuce blues

Tom_Statt

Most of these things have happened recently, others since I bought the truck. I'm not complaining, giving up, or asking for help, just venting. I may ask for advice on some of the major problems here soon though. I'm not one to Bitch about my problems usually, but my truck really frustrated me this morning amidst the snow storm, and I feel like venting my issues.

Items requiring immediate attention/attention soon:
------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Batteries discharged
2. Injection pump leaking from under hydraulic Head (I think?)
3. Alternator Bad (caught fire twice and fell apart)
4. Excessive injector leak-by (excessive fuel return)
5. Oil leak from behind water pump (Timing cover?)
6. Fuel lift pump bad
7. Mystery coolant leak (minor for now)
8. Driver-side headlight out

Items requiring attention in the not-so-distant future, but ok for now:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
9. Axels leaking
10. Driver-side axel Dust boot torn
11. A couple tires bad
12. Windshield wipers bad
13. Passenger-side windshield wiper servo bad
14. Transmission leak (input shaft seal)
15. Mystery fuel leak (Primary fuel filter head?)
16. All belts almost worn out
17. Front passenger-side shock absorber broken
18. steering center bar bent (barely kisses oil pan)
19. Tires need rotated

Items that need to be fixed, but I'm not too worried about right now:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

20. Mystery air leak
21. Transfer case falls out of high range (held up by bungee strap)
22. Shifter boot bad
23. Weather seals bad
24. Cracked passenger-side windshield
25. Deeply rusted windshield frames on inside
26. various lights out (dash, blackout lights)
27. Front passenger-side fender bent up
28. Tailgate bent badly
29. Fuel level sending unit bad
30. Driver-side mud flap bracket/mount bent
31. Various rust spots
32. Horn doesn’t work sometimes
33. Driver-side hood hinge bad
34. Personnel racks almost worn out
35. Driver-side windshield regulator almost worn out
36. front bumper "D" rings missing

Things I have already repaired/done to the truck:
---------------------------------------------------------------
1. Replaced exhaust "J" pipe
2. Replaced exhaust tube connecting turbo to flex pipe
3. Cut-down upper exhaust stack and installed rain stopper (flapper)
4. Re-built wheel cylinders
5. Replaced passenger-side axel dust boot
6. PMed truck
7. Replaced turn-signal flasher unit
8. Replaced turn-signal switch
9. Repaired busted seams on soft-top
10. Repaired Troop seats
11. Replaced batteries
12. Repaired fuel leak
13. Repaired cab heat system
14. Re-wired front park lights to come on when headlights are on
15. Various other little piddily things

The broke deuce blues started this morning when my truck wouldn’t start because it lost prime, resulting in dead batteries, and me being late to my new job.
The injection pump fuel leak started Friday night randomly, and got worse soon after leaving gimpyrobb's house on Saturday, and it (along with my in-tank pump being bad) caused my truck to lose prime.
The batteries were already low because my alternator is pretty much dead. The voltage regulator melted and caught fire a few weeks ago, and on Friday night the back end caught fire, and came off the alternator also (I don't know how or why). Somehow, by a miracle, it still charges the batteries a little, but slowly.
Somehow this truck remains to be the best thing I have ever purchased, and I don't plan on getting rid of it no matter what. It may give me headaches, but it also makes me happy.

Strykerboy

9-19 is like all of my problems as soon as i fix one anotherone pops up seal's more then anything i keep my 3 inch 8 side socket handy

southdave

Dude you need a duece intervention, get with I 'll throw in a hand got a shop or a barn?
As for Alt I think your stator is bad, and that is causing the heat for the fire. as for the rest of it can be overcomed

Last edited:

phil2968

Could you enlist Gilligan's (gimpy)'s help with some of these problems? Just take one at a time and don't look at whole list at one time. Just don't get too discouraged. Friends always seem to make things go easier, especially when beer is involved!:beer:

jeep-Jeep

Hey if they were easy to keep going do you think uncle SAM would have let them go so cheap ?
I just fix the safety type things first and always have a project for a sunny day or for my kids to help me with :deadhorse:I am lucky to have a deuce salvage yard near by .:)

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey Tom, you could have fixed two or three things on your list-- for the same time you took to make that looong post... (and I could have fixed something instead of reading posts)

:lol:
The truth is, if I spent as much time working on my truck as I do on here talking about working on my truck I'd have the best truck around. :-D

Seems like there is always something to be done when it comes to these trucks. I assume that you'll reach a point where you either give up or get finished fixing everything but I have no idea where that point is.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Tom, you can't look at EVERYTHING at once. Take care of stuff little by little. I'll have the alt for you this weekend. While swapping that out, we'll take care of the belts. I bet we can fix the IP leak with some Orings. Little by little it'll get back to normal. I know your venting and its needs to be done once in a while, but don't stress over it.

southdave

Nobody can mess up a truck like the military. LOL what where you thinking letting a bunch of jarheads recover your vehical. lol
P.S. I know lot of those guys your lucky your truck looks like a truck still, they are good guys though

Last edited:

srodocker

im glad my truck had little problems...and slowly fixing them. brake pressure switch is what is out right now that i gota find. anyone know the napa part number for it?

Towerguy1

Just memember these trucks are +/- 30 years old, there will always be something to do. Just do what I did, buy a spare truck, or two, or three, or......:roll: , Well anyway when one is down for repairs I grab the other:)

Barneyszoo

Yes just do one thing at a time, make sure you keep it driveable. I started a frame off restoration on a nice 41 Dodge WC got so overwhelmed I endened up giveing the whole thing away. sucked. hang in there bro.

Tom_Statt

Thanks ya'll, I know I'll get-er-dun in time, I never leave a job unfinished, and allways do it right the first time. I'll just keep working on it little by little, no matter how much it pisses off my neighbors, HaHa. Plus I'll start getting paychecks from my new job here soon.