• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I hate copper thieves, especially when they have wire cutters and access to an -004a

sewerzuk

I sold this -004a to a guy in Portland several years ago; he has been using it for temporary jobsite power for his concrete construction business. It worked great for him...right up until a few months ago.
Some thieves broke into his storage yard and went to town with the -004a. They stole the batteries and several small bits of copper wire. I estimate they made off with about $10 worth of wire. What a waste. He brought the set back to me for repairs. Unfortunately, many of the cuts were very close to the cannon/amphenol connectors and would require unpin/repin. Lots of work. Somebody must have a "parts" -004a out there. Let me know if you have a harness just lyin' around. I'd love to replace a harness instead of doing 1 wire repair at a time...

2015-08-27 12.27.18.jpg2015-08-27 12.27.12.jpg2015-08-27 12.26.51.jpg2015-08-27 12.26.37.jpg2015-08-27 12.26.29.jpg2015-08-27 12.25.51.jpg2015-08-27 12.23.59.jpg2015-08-27 12.23.56.jpg

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't think the wires are copper. I think they are steel. No money in that.

sewerzuk

I don't think the wires are copper. I think they are steel. No money in that.
That's why I estimate $10 :)
They got the copper going from the load terminals to the 3 phase panel and the battery cables. They cut a lot of the harness but left it when they saw it wasn't solid copper. Frustrating.

Triple Jim

One of the "Physical Plant" guys (maintenance workers) at the U of MD took a lot of copper gutters and downspouts while wearing his uniform and driving an official truck when I was going to school there. It took quite a while to figure out something was wrong, because it looked like he was just doing his job. That was over 35 years ago when copper hadn't skyrocketed yet.

flydude92

Somebody must have a "parts" -004a out there. Let me know if you have a harness just lyin' around. I'd love to replace a harness instead of doing 1 wire repair at a time...
I have the cables you are looking for. They are off an 004-ask unit.
I marked most of the connectors and some wires when I removed them.
You are welcome to them for the cost of shipping.
PM me with your address so I can get them to you.
Brian

Cables.jpg I forgot to attach the picture

Last edited:

sewerzuk

I have the cables you are looking for. They are off an 004-ask unit.
I marked most of the connectors and some wires when I removed them.
You are welcome to them for the cost of shipping.
PM me with your address so I can get them to you.
Brian
PM sent! This will save me some serious time piecing the harness back together...thanks.

tim292stro

Sadly another reminder that when this stuff is not guarded by the guys in camo with guns, opportunists move in.

Glad it sounds like it'll get fixed without the pain of building it from scratch.

rustystud

Sadly another reminder that when this stuff is not guarded by the guys in camo with guns, opportunists move in.

Glad it sounds like it'll get fixed without the pain of building it from scratch.
This is just another reminder of what a sad sick society we live in today ! With this "me" attitude. Not caring about anyone else or their property. A few years ago I had a bunch of my trucks parked on the top of my property. Some teenagers came by and decided to break every piece of glass on them. 12 vehicles all busted up. One of them even dropped a 50Ib rock through the roof of one truck . All I can say is I hope he got a Hernia doing that !

Last edited:

davidhdale

What do you expect when the people in office cut the military back and dont care if there taken care of. Just my thought if you fight for this country we all love than you should not worry about being broke or homeless time for some soilders to be in office then at least they now where and what they fought for.

Glockfan

This is just another reminder of what a sad sick society we live in today ! With this "me" attitude. Not caring about anyone else or their property. A few years ago I had a bunch of my trucks parked on the top of my property. Some teenagers came by and decided to break every piece of glass on them. 12 vehicles all busted up. One of them even dropped a 50Ib rock through the roof of one truck . All I can say is I hope he got a Hernia doing that !
Rusty, I had the same thing happen with a little car that I used to commute to and from work back in the early 90's. About all I could afford then was a $400 little Mazda beater but it was dependable transportation. I ran out of gas one evening and ended up having to leave it beside the road until I got off work. Imagine my surprise when I returned after my shift at the plywood mill to find that every piece of glass in the car was busted out! Man, it just knocked the wind right out of me. I couldn't understand how someone could be that much of a low life... They are among us and we must be ever vigilant. Society as a whole is not improving. I can only teach my young son to be courteous and polite, to not hurt others and always lend a hand. He will also learn that if he ever has to face someone intent on harming himself or his loved ones that he must pull out all of the stops and respond with a violent counter attack!

Snowtiger

The problem is everywhere and the worst thing of all is "So what if I get caught attitude" no punishment no matter what, then the minute we want to make our streets safer out come the libtards to protest their "rights". Dealt with theft many times and its usually for drugs

Al Harvey

I know it doesn't help you situation. But if anyone else finds they had copper stolen, call all your local scrap yards. I know around here the yards are putting a 5 day hold on paying for any copper because theft was getting so bad. Your local areas might not be the same, but maybe it could help catch the thief.

Ray70

The sad part is most of these people get away with their actions... BUT luckily every once in a while there's that one extra stupid criminal that gets caught! I remember working at Leviton my first year out of college and one of the maintenance guys there told me a story about a guy who stole a whole spool of copper, one of the big wooden reels. Well, he didn't take it to the scrap yard, he took it (unknowingly) back to the same distributor it came from in the first place. Luckily the guy there recognized it as their product, paid they criminal with a check and took a copy of his drivers license. Then sent him on his way... then called his employer, the state police and lastly the bank to stop payment on the check. Bet that guy got a surprise when he got home!

rustystud

Rusty, I had the same thing happen with a little car that I used to commute to and from work back in the early 90's. About all I could afford then was a $400 little Mazda beater but it was dependable transportation. I ran out of gas one evening and ended up having to leave it beside the road until I got off work. Imagine my surprise when I returned after my shift at the plywood mill to find that every piece of glass in the car was busted out! Man, it just knocked the wind right out of me. I couldn't understand how someone could be that much of a low life... They are among us and we must be ever vigilant. Society as a whole is not improving. I can only teach my young son to be courteous and polite, to not hurt others and always lend a hand. He will also learn that if he ever has to face someone intent on harming himself or his loved ones that he must pull out all of the stops and respond with a violent counter attack!
That is exactly what I have taught my son. Be kind and considerate but if the "poo hits the fan" then be prepared to defend yourself with every fiber of your being ! As a Christian I hate having to teach that but it is the world we live in.

sewerzuk

Thanks to flydude92 I have almost everything replaced; but he didn't have the engine harness. It has a large cannon connector on one end and the other end goes to all of the stuff on the engine (alternator, speed switch, injection pump, oil pressure, etc.) If anybody has a parts set sitting around, I'd gladly paypal some $$ for you to send it to me! I don't look forward to replacing that part of the harness wire by wire :)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks