• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I hate the Smell of Maple Syrup

metrobus

Butterscotch

If you ever smell what seems to be butterscotch near a running engine, you can be 99% sure you have a coolant leak of some sort. Stop leak will work as a temporary fix, but will usually end up clogging your heater core and/or radiator.

scottc

Granted it never snows here. I have tied the heater input and output lines together on quite a few vehicles. No heat, but a quick and easy fix.

pbrstreetgang

Where do you get a replacement heater core?

I found mine through autozone but they gave me one for a blazer w/ AC. I returned and they gave me a replacement that I could not install. I took it to my local firestone and they said that I had the wrong one and that the two that they ordered would not work either.

They circumvented the hoses so I could drive and I am running into winter with no heater!!!

What model of Heater core do I need and where do I find it?

AJMBLAZER

You just want a heater core for a '84 Chevy Blazer K5 fullsize without AC. They'll probably ask if it's a diesel and 4x4 but that won't matter.

Advanced Auto/Kragen/Schucks/O'Reilly's has a decent unit for a better price than other places. I just got the AC version for my civy K5 a month ago for about $30 if my memory serves me.

You can also try Auto Parts Fast at RockAuto if the local counter monkeys are too dumb to figure it out. I buy a lot of my parts through there.

greenjeepster

Citizensoldier: you can't tap Pine trees:-D

The only heater core I have replaced was on a cherokee, the dealer wanted 1400.00 to replace it so I thought, screw that, and dove into it myself. It took me three days to get the interior of the jeep put back together, Then I cringed the first time I started it just waiting for the Airbags to deploy.

pbrstreetgang

Neither one of those heater core models match up to the one the mechanic pulled out of my truck. They seem to be universal the 399077 or the 399079 (advance auto, oreillys, auto zone, Rock Auto, napa with AC or Without AC, there seems to be no other options

LMC has one but I will bet that it matches these - back to the drawing board

AJMBLAZER

Well, then someone, somewhere has made your truck different than the other M1009/K5 Blazer/Jimmies without AC. Best to figure out what yours is and get that one.

southdave

Found out with the motor mounts, Gm sourced all parts for Cucv based off 1980 version some part change along with models other didn't 86 k5 diesel motor mounts wouldn't work but 1980 would crazy but nothing GM does makes sence. but it does from a contract point of view. long and short try a 1980 k5 6.2 diesel blazer see if that works for ya

BTW did anyone ever replace a Ford taurus heater core? OMG 10hr job remove seat dash re and reassemble I bought one off a guy for 500 bucks it 4 years old never fix it car ran well had cig lighter defroster from a bug for the winter gave to some kid

Last edited:

AJMBLAZER

There was no '80 Blazer with the diesel. 6.2L started in 82 and the 5.7L abomination ended in 79 or 80.
Technically all the CUCV's are based off of the '83-'84 model years as that was what the military approved for production and service. The military got the same parts and GM got rid of old stock. Only things that were changed over time had to do with actual problems that different parts fixed.

There were only two heater cores used in these trucks from 1973 to 1991 regardless of pickup, Suburban, or Blazer/Jimmy. One for AC and one for w/o AC. That was it. If he has something different in there than the two options for ALL 73-91 body style GM fullsize trucks then he has something special in there and his best bet is to figure out just what part he has and either undo it or get a replacement part for that special part.

4bogginchevys

I had to do the heater core in my 03' S-10..... it took 18 hours. I could probably cut that down to 12 now that I have done it once. I think GM's book time to do it is 12 or more!:wink:

southdave

You just want a heater core for a '84 Chevy Blazer K5 fullsize without AC. They'll probably ask if it's a diesel and 4x4 but that won't matter.

Advanced Auto/Kragen/Schucks/O'Reilly's has a decent unit for a better price than other places. I just got the AC version for my civy K5 a month ago for about $30 if my memory serves me.

You can also try Auto Parts Fast at RockAuto if the local counter monkeys are too dumb to figure it out. I buy a lot of my parts through there.
What I was told buy a part manager when GM sent there proposal to the DOD for the CUCV the parts and engine were est. at that time. it takes about 18mo for gm to mount up for any production run. another year for contrat neg. ect ..
I alot of crap I bought mounts bolt came for 80-81 k5 blazer, I take part with me waland k in say this is off 85 k5 diesel blazer they show with somthing close but not right. I say try one off an 81-80 bingo. Some of the part numbers where est. when the orginal contract was sign I am guessing it was 80-81

southdave

sorry man, just some crap I found out when I was in Warren Mi,met a guy, he was on the purchasing agent for GM on this orginal contract he blah blah blah me for good while. got motor mounts 3 times before I remembered somthing he said. it worked out twice so maybe kinda of knew somthing.
too much info can be as bad as too alittle.

Last edited:

AJMBLAZER

The 6.2L didn't even exist in 1980 and uses different motor mounts than the gassers did.

Don't take this the wrong way but I think yer pal had a bit of truth mixed up with incorrect years. These trucks are basically '84 vintage. '80 is way to early as a whole bunch of the dash, front, and engine parts would be different (including there being no 6.2L until '82 and no diesel at all in '80).

southdave

okay
Abstract:
On July 13, 1982 General Motors was awarded a contract for a family of vehicles identified as Commercial Utility Cargo Vehicles (CUCV). The vehicles involved were modified commercially-available light truck 4-wheel drive models~Blazer (utility vehicle), Pick-Up Truck, a base Cab Chassis, and a Cab Chassis fitted with an ambulance body~all powered by 6.2 Liter diesel engines. The performance requirements for these vehicles were defined in military specifications ATPD-2074 and ATPD-2078. This report will address specifically the design concepts used to meet the specifications related to starting and operating the vehicles at-50 degrees Fahrenheit. (took two years to prepare the Gov.- RFP)

Last edited:

AJMBLAZER

Your point?

'82 they showed the government their new 6.2L diesel powered trucks that AMG was considering using the same powerplant in the HMMWV. They win the contract.

'83-'84 the vehicle designs and specifications are approved and production begins.

There's a reason every part on these trucks is circa 83-84 except for the few parts that were upgraded after that.

southdave

AMG? It is cucv off the rack unless they going to preasent a mail jeep for trails think it was chysler that won the design of the Humvee Production I thought was awarded to AMG remember Lee IAcoca and the first bail out they also there interest in the M-1 Abrams to general dynamic I remember this because my dad was in eygpt working on the sister plant, but any way
Parts and pieces are and veh. are preasented @ time of award 1982 proir to that there where awhole sieris of XM ( candian Spec) for testing and development, I think I saw and in national geographic advertising this truck in 1980 as good enough for the army, or somthing, most of parts where est. for these about year before contrct award , as for the motor development need the engine model number ie LS1 Lt 2 ect I could call some poeple I know in prowertrain..But what I did is took my old motor mounts out of the 1009 82-86 wouldn't work so I went backwards. The two hours out my life paidoff. or just could have been I dealing with autozone.but that whole process is why the damm thing the gov. $30000 a copy. Besides I thought that how we got the ram charger out of that spec. sorry if this incoherant I think faster than I type figure this informal enough. Please don't think I am trying to pick a fight I worked for GM as program Scheduler for the Last five years and this kind crap I did. Prior to that Did construction programs for GMT 800 thru 900 trucks

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks