• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I have a few questions for you guys...

BigWill1985

First off, I'll give a quick introduction. I am a 27 year old US Navy Submariner, with the rating of Nuclear Field Mechanic. I also specialize in emergency welding, and work currently (on shore duty) as a Radiological Control Technician. I am pretty knowledgeable in auto mechanics, and have always done all of my own work in my vehicles. I have yet to encounter an issue that I couldn't solve, aside from machine work or work requiring special tooling or equipment. I started a side business last year working as an arborist (tree climbing/pruning/trimming/felling/removal/disposal/stump grinding/consultation). We've done pretty well for ourselves, but came to a harsh reality a few weeks ago when the motor spun a main bearing in our old dump truck (1977 Chevrolet C-50 with a 12' dump bed). I did all work and swapped in another motor to get her back on the road, but it was down for ~5 days since I could only work on it during afternoons and the weekend. It's pretty much impossible to work without our dump truck.

So, we are looking to pick up a more reliable, heavy duty dump truck. The truck we have now works quite well as a chip truck, but isn't really heavy enough to haul larger loads of logs. Also, it only has a small block chevy (350ci) gas and a truck 4 speed which means it is VERY under-powered. I think the GVWR is somewhere in the ballpark of 13,500lbs. It has served us well, but we are looking for something bigger.

So, I came across this site and began researching. I am really thinking that an M817 would be a pretty good candidate for our near future. We generally work in developed areas, but may need a truck to traverse some undeveloped terrain from time to time. We need a truck that is built like a tank, reliable, and able to haul anything we load into the bed. I like the idea of having bows and a canvas cover for the bed, in case we need to use it for wood chips. But, they are removable for loading logs and other cargo which makes it pretty versatile. Also, the winch would be extremely convenient for aiding in felling trees, when we need a little extra oomph to pull them over.

In searching for a truck, I came across a few options. I realize that I can buy from GL, but would rather buy a truck that is ready to run as soon as I purchase it. I have the tools and equipment to perform any repairs I might encounter (and have worked on all sorts of vehicles from motorcycles to tractors). I understand they are an older truck and that things will give out from time to time, and I am willing to perform repairs as necessary. But, how capable are these trucks? I really need a vehicle that can haul a 10,000lb load of logs in the bed and dump them, while pulling a 5000lb chipper or 7000lb equipment trailer. We do very little highway driving, and do not exceed 55 when we do (not interested in causing accidents due to vehicles stuck in traffic ahead). How reliable are the Cummins NHC 250 motors? I would be the primary driver of the truck, and I am getting my Class B CDL soon.

Now, I understand the technology of these trucks (I am military, and understand that 99% of our equipment was engineered with technology 20-30 years old). I am not ever in a hurry when hauling loads, and we generally stay in a 30-40 mile radius of our yard. I drive well within the vehicle's means, and don't beat on my equipment (costs too **** much to fix when I break stuff!).

Does an M817 sound like a reasonable option for us? If it doesn't sound reasonable, what do you recommend for us?

Also, I was looking online and did find a truck for sale from Surplus Military Depot of Lothian, MD. Anyone have any history with these guys? It seems as if they have a pretty good track record. I also talked to the owner of the company by phone and he seemed pretty honest and straight-forward. Are his prices reasonable? Do you guys recommend anyone else nearby me to pick up a truck from? Are there any members on here that have trucks for sale at a reasonable price? I'm trying to limit the spending to $10,000 if at all possible.

My other thought regarding this truck is using it in local parades for advertisement and possibly for carrying around American Legion guys or VFW guys. Thought it might be a fun pass time when the truck isn't being used for work.

Thank you in advance!

~Will Courtier~

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
As dump trucks go, the M817 has a small bed for the size of the chassis. Other than that, it sounds like you understand the limits of the vehicle, so it looks like a go for you.
The 250 is **** near bullet proof. The biggest problem is making sure the fuel system is tight with no air leaks. The weakest point is the braking system- single line, and the brakes can and will fade quickly under hard repeated stops.

BigWill1985

As dump trucks go, the M817 has a small bed for the size of the chassis. Other than that, it sounds like you understand the limits of the vehicle, so it looks like a go for you.
The 250 is **** near bullet proof. The biggest problem is making sure the fuel system is tight with no air leaks. The weakest point is the braking system- single line, and the brakes can and will fade quickly under hard repeated stops.
The traffic around our area does get pretty bad at times, potentially spending anywhere from 30 mins to 2 hours idling. Are there aftermarket brake pads to aid in the brake fade? Is it because the brake fluid boils and breaks down?

That brings me to another question. How prone are these motors to overheating? I have to frequently clean out the radiators on all of our trucks due to the wood chips being shot around, but I do my best to keep things clean and in good shape. Do the cooling systems in these trucks work adequately to cool in 100*F heat and above when idling? I understand that the driver and passengers won't be too comfortable (although I am looking at the rag top dump trucks for that exact reason).

Thanks again for your help!!

~Will Courtier~

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ah, another squid! welcome aboard shipmate!

I also echo John's statments about the 250, treat her right and she will last a good long time.

I wouldn't be afraid of trying to purchase a truck off GL, as you said, you know your way around an old vehicle. You could save big $$$ by buying a truck off GL that needs just a few hundred dollars or less to be a reliable machine. Half of my trucks I've driven off the lot and put to work dang near the next day after some PMCS.

The truck will seem to be as underpowered as your current dumptruck, but will haul 3-5 times the cargo, so you would come out ahead.

An even better option would be a M929 dump truck. Get one with the 8.3 cummins and there are easy and somewhat cheap mods to boost the power a good bit for hauling your loads. Add to that airbrakes, and a roomier cab. They are automatics though...

BigWill1985

Oh, also (to EMD567). I noticed you have a 2006 Pontiac GTO. I had a 2005 GTO I drove for a few years. Bought it 1 year old for my wife (now ex-wife), and wound up with it in the divorce. Tossed a NO2 bottle in the back between the seat bottoms, ran a 150hp wet shot, went with a K&N Series 63 cold air intake, changed out the rear springs with Pedders drag springs (5/16" higher), and setup a pretty fool proof nitrous oxide control system to keep from blowing the motor sky high.

Ran that car for a few years like that, then a Noreaster hit us back in 2009 which flooded our neighborhood. Turned the interior into a swimming pool, and insurance totalled it. God I miss that car.... I could run 11.2-11.5 second 1/4 miles all day long in it!

~Will Courtier~

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think it could work for you. As mentioned, bed capacity is limited but you could build up some side boards for chips and such. How much weight are we talking, worst case scenario? Seems that your research was thorough and you understand what you are considering. Creature comforts are non existant probably alot like your 77 C50. It also sounds like you understand a machines limitations so I'd have no problem reccomending one.

BigWill1985

I think it could work for you. As mentioned, bed capacity is limited but you could build up some side boards for chips and such. How much weight are we talking, worst case scenario? Seems that your research was thorough and you understand what you are considering. Creature comforts are non existant probably alot like your 77 C50. It also sounds like you understand a machines limitations so I'd have no problem reccomending one.
I would expect the absolute worst case scenario load to be 15,000lbs in the bed, pulling our 7000lb trailer (loaded weight, with tractor and logs on trailer as well).

~Will Courtier~

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oh, also (to EMD567). I noticed you have a 2006 Pontiac GTO. I had a 2005 GTO I drove for a few years. Bought it 1 year old for my wife (now ex-wife), and wound up with it in the divorce. Tossed a NO2 bottle in the back between the seat bottoms, ran a 150hp wet shot, went with a K&N Series 63 cold air intake, changed out the rear springs with Pedders drag springs (5/16" higher), and setup a pretty fool proof nitrous oxide control system to keep from blowing the motor sky high.

Ran that car for a few years like that, then a Noreaster hit us back in 2009 which flooded our neighborhood. Turned the interior into a swimming pool, and insurance totalled it. God I miss that car.... I could run 11.2-11.5 second 1/4 miles all day long in it!

~Will Courtier~
I had. Car was a 6 speed, just as Holden had built her. Way fast enough for me. Car was totaled when a female driver under the effects of narcotics, in a stolen Nissian pickup pulled out in front of me and I hit her at 37 MPH.
I tried to replace the car, but no luck. I still have nightmares about that night.

BigWill1985

Yep, mine had the 6 speed as well. Black with red leather interior. I'll see if I can dig up some pics of the old girl and post them up here. Was a pretty sharp looking car, and a killer on the track.

~Will Courtier~

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The brake fade comes from the simple fact that the drums heat up, and expand. Lots of metal to cool, so once they get hot, the braking falls off. Drive smart, use the tranny and fact that the 5 tons have the rolling ability of a brick to control your speed.
As far as overheating? Come on, they are designed to operate in the desert. When mine is at operating temp, you can lay your hand on the bottom of the radiator, and it is barely warm. What will get you is the temps INSIDE the cab- If my 5 ton isn't moving, with the windshield open, it will cook you.:driver:

Danl

Danl M915A1

Hi served year and a half on the USS Holand sub tender in holy locke Scotland. Never did want to go under water, I liked it top side. I feal that the 800 are more for playing . and enjoying the hobby, Come down to work the 900 are better. I post pictures of my 915 that we built and she works hard every day, It did take us time to figure out the tranny, but we got things going real good , I'm back on GL trying to get a second one to build so I can get rid of and old Mack. I will tell you these heavy haulers burn fuel 4 to 6 MPG depending what I'M HAULING and if I'm pulling up hill or down hill our 300 macks burn the same. but the 915 smokes the Mack LOL. I think its tire size. dans truck 004.jpg

dans truck 006.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks