• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I have caught the bug - who has bought from GL?

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
Purchasing from GL has been covered many times over. You really need to search the archieves. The only new thing is that the title issue is over as they are issuing again with a $60 fee.

m.walker

Check anything you are going to bid a lot of money on first !!! There descriptions can sometimes leave a lot to be desired , a buddy of mine bought a trailer it was listed as a 1987 but there was dirt on it after wiping it off it was a 1967 ( buyer beware ) . Just the opposite I bought a crew cab F350 that was listed as doesn't run , they had lost the keys and the hood release was broke so they couldn't look at the motor . I had keys and with a jump it fired up and ran great . I still think it's a lot of fun , if I got half the stuff I bid on I could start a surplus store ! Mark

gasser

I have had good luck with GL over the year. Bought 4 CUCVs from them and pretty much got what I expected (and what I paid for them), mainly because I bought without inspecting. I always keep these in mind with browsing and buying from GL:
Expect to have the 'little' items stripped, like the GP controller, starter relay and alike.
Expect to see something there, but not have it work or function properly.

I think those are the two things that I mainly look out for and take in consideration upong bidding on something, however I am sure other folks here would have their eyes on other concerns. To each their own. HTH,

-graham

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I have purchased a set of axels. a huge gearbox and a 20 ft. Connex from GL. My only complaint is with the 10% Buyers Premium they slap on. It can run the cost up on a big ticket item. I never had any problem with picking up items or with paperwork. If you are close enoung to go check out items before bidding so much the better. There are some good bargins if you know what to look for.

area52

Nice to see somebody from New Mexico on here!!

A) try to go and inspect what you want
plan on how to get it home - drive, tow, or what ever, before you bid.

Set a limit on how much you want to spend. there are deals if you can find something no body else wants!

ida34

wreckerman893 said:
I have purchased a set of axels. a huge gearbox and a 20 ft. Connex from GL. My only complaint is with the 10% Buyers Premium they slap on. It can run the cost up on a big ticket item. I never had any problem with picking up items or with paperwork. If you are close enoung to go check out items before bidding so much the better. There are some good bargins if you know what to look for.
How much was the connex and what catagory are they in?

Thanks
Chuck

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I bought the connex out of Jacksonville, FL. It was listed in a general sale, you just have to scroll through all the items at a location you are close enough to to bid on.
I looked at the pictures and bid on it sight unseen. When I went to pick it up I found it had some rust and the right door was sprung but I got it for 800.00. :shock:
They sell here (B'ham) for over two grand. By the time I paid the buyers premium and drove a Dodge Dually and lowboy round trip I had about 1100.00 in it. Still a bargain in my book. :eek:
You might do a search under "shipping containers" and have one pop up. :idea:
All and all I think GL is a good source if you learn the ropes and remember "let the buyer beware".
Good hunting. :D

dilvoy

Has anyone else noticed the high amount of GL items that are sold at auction, but appear for sale on the next auction? Could there be that many people defaulting on their purchases?

ida34

dilvoy said:
Has anyone else noticed the high amount of GL items that are sold at auction, but appear for sale on the next auction? Could there be that many people defaulting on their purchases?
Could be. When I got my M35A2 I did not look at it before the auction. I wanted to take a look at it before pickup time to figure out if I was towing it or driving it home. They did not want to let me do it because the thought I would default because of buyers remorse. They seemed to have very big rabbit ears on this subject. I was able to talk them into letting me come to start it and check the fluids. I also took the batteries home to secure them and charge them for pickup while I waited for EUC approval.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
I bought a lot with two dollys that are used to transport shelters, one was fine and I took it home the other was missing so much and is such bad shape I rejected it since it did not even have a tow bar. I might have taken it too if the towbar was there but I was already towing the M1009 and the dolly with my duece and trying to add the third one seemed too hard without the towbar. The recent change where you have to pay an extra 60 bucks fro the the SF 91 is kinda hoky since they pay almost nothing for the deal and only give the government a percentage of the sale. They used to let you drive vehicles out of the lot not so at the ones here now. Also I miss the old DRMS auctions where you had to go to the post and bid with all the others at the auction. It was an unwritten rule that if there were multiples of an item and we all wanted one that we would let the per item price stay low and all get one. I got an almost new M105A2 for a hundred bucks that way with two tarps and bows

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks