• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I have joined the club ! And yes I have lost my mine !

1951M1078

Here are some photos of the truck with bed off. Maybe this will help ?

IMG_4005.jpgIMG_4007.jpgIMG_4006.jpgIMG_4009.jpgIMG_4012.jpg

The front trans is 3" (photo with 2"x 2" steel ? think its 2x2 LOL)
And the back trans is 2" (off frame)

Last edited:

Duckworthe

I'm sure you have planned for this but I will say it anyways, Make sure you add enough room above and around your transfer case when building your box to allow for tools to fit in there later for possible repairs. Hate to see someone overlook these small things and have to lift entire camper up to get to one bolt that didn't have clearance to get wrench or socket on later. Looking good by the way! We will have to meet up in the desert when you finish as we are don't live that far apart.
Eric

Last edited:

1951M1078

Thanks Eric. We will do that !

As for clearance I think I have it covered ? Hope ?

My plan is to have the box to be able to come off just like the bed. Maybe even easier ?
All systems below the frame will be built for easy removal also.Some quick disco-net's and stuff.

agazza2

How about doing container locks on each of the for corners for quick removal like Soni did with the FEMMT? I was thinking about doing something like that with mine, so it would be an easy change if I ever want to put the bed back on, or 5th wheel modules. I would just need to either buy a forklift or crane then. But it would be nice to have a multi-purpose vehicle, that can be changed in a short amount of time.

1951M1078

Allan,it would add some weight and the top of the box would be pushed up.

The idea of removing would only be for some kind of transmission work ?

1951M1078

Been looking into the floor plan. Now going to use the first step down as the shower pan. ? Will need to figure out some kind of shower curtain shortage also.
Maybe also a small landing out side the door to be able to shower out side. Like at the beach to get the sand off or mud ? LOL

B5.jpg

utahpow

I like it! It resembles this first one (below) from Action Mobil. I might consider combining the shower and toilet into one in case someone wanted to get in/out while someone was using the facility. I'm sure you thought of that though.

5000.jpg

Have a look at this other one where the bed is raised over the dinette. The bed here can be dropped both 1/2 way and all the way down, depending on your preference or how many you're sleeping.

4500.jpg

Last edited:

1951M1078

It's all up in the air right now. Thanks for the other plan. I'm still working every thing out with systems and what will work with a 16' x 8' plan.
Also working with a pass-through to the cab.

1951M1078

Finished the side rail mount and will work on the box Wednesday. Would like to get it mounted (the box) for this weekend's off road testing ?

IMG_4021.jpg

IMG_4022.jpg

1951M1078

5' from the floor to the ground.Big day it's all welded down and I have been to the scales. 16,420 Lbs. with 1/2 tank of diesel and a 200+- lbs. driver. I need to lose some weight ? That's like 800+ lbs. lighter than stock. Cool. Now if I could only find a good deal on some Alum. wheels ?

IMG_4030.jpgIMG_4031.jpgIMG_4034.jpg

Now trying to decide weather to cut the notch for departure angle or just leave it ? What would you do ?

Last edited:

TNriverjet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow, you are coming along well!

If your focus is space and function, leave it
If your focus is outside appearance, cut and angle the rear floor past the truck frame

2cents2cents2cents2cents

1951M1078

Testing went well. Don't think the back will need to be cut ? Still not sure.

b10.jpgb8.jpgb11.jpgb12.jpgb13.jpg

Man can this truck climb ! Didn't push hard because of the old tires. But look out when I get some new rubber. I think you could get your self into trouble with this truck.

TNriverjet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks good! If you have enough departure angle, it is probably worth the extra space to keep the box as is. I'm sure modifying the box to increase departure angle wouldn't be the most fun process.

How does it feel off road? I know your overall weight is down, but CG has probably moved up a bit.

1951M1078

If anything it feels better ? No wind today but it drives like nothing has changed. Glad it has a rear sway bar ! Also seems to have a little more power?
Still need to change the trans oil to ATF. Shifts hard for 3,4 then just pulls and you can't really feel 5,6,7. Down shifts are a little firm for 4,3,2.

Duckworthe

As you have seen my camper box, I angled mine. However, when you do you lose a tremendous amount of storage space. If you don't think you will really drop off steep river/wash edges I wouldn't angle it. Space is more important then looks. IMHO. Now with that said, they way I use my truck I did and do need the departure angle. I would drag a flat box at least 2 time a day on my trips. I worry about my drive shafts dragging off ledges more now than anything else. That would be catastrophic for the shafts! Its looking great by the way! you will be using it before you know it!!! BZ!

Duckworthe

No locker or highway gears. My truck does 62,verified by gps, on the flats. I don't deal with deep mud like back east. But in the dunes I haven't needed it at all. If a wheel spins on the ground or in the air, I just use the brakes to transfer the power to the other wheels. Has worked for me and have always gotten out. Never been stuck. Been burried to the axles before in dunes on purpose to check the trucks ability. Thanks to ctis I have always just driven up and out! I don't think I will do the swaps. Rather spend the money on other things.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks