• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I have read a lot not sure to buy

Goomer214

I'm looking to buy a 5 ton
It was driven 2600 miles to its current location towing a 1 ton truck and gear

Guy said the air compressor went bad he replaced it
truck has been rebuilt in 2010 and all indications point to not that many miles on it since then
it's got a hyd winch and 95% tread on super singles
paint is like new or may by a-

I'm trying to get out of buying a refurb truck for 30k
this one is half that and it's for recreational use

to those that have these does this sound like a reliable truck
and how much should I pay m95a2 cargo hard top no rear cover or rail

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Every military vehicle is a gamble even if the numbers are right and markings show a recent rebuild. You just have to inspect, test drive, and be willing to pay to play should something happen. Make sure he has a title in hand too of course. If he is asking 15K for a M925A2 that isnt 100% then it's too high (personal opinion). In my area even the cleanest of m900 series trucks rarely sell for more than 12K and those are just advertised prices not agreed upon prices. I know there is one member here in the classifieds with an M925A1 that is tan and very sharp looking. He is asking 8K if I recall right.

Edit:

Found it.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?114482-1986-m925a1-w-w

Goomer214

Yes sir pay to play I hear that
I'm just trying to hedge my bet I got screwed when I was younger and not so wise bought a truck unseen told it was parade grade when I got it it was more like junk yard parade grade not tryin to repeat my mistakes
if the engine runs well and it shifts well what should I expect the 0-60 be my previous m35 had a real weak engine so I'm not real sure how to tell how strong the engine is by driving it
any help is apriciated and will be paid back in kind if ever I get the chance
I've always loved military equipment and am hoping to join the community

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Understandable. The Cummins 6CTA in the A2 models is quieter but just as powerful as the Cummins 250 in the A0 and A1 models. You will accelerate faster than a deuce, that is without question. I haven't clocked the 0-60 in a m900 series truck yet but someone else may chime in with figures.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
FT said it. Even with the best of intent, its hard to tell, a strong runner. Do your best inspection, but then you just have to go on a gut feeling, and hope for the best. These are big complex vehicles, but they are not without their maintenance requirements. Good Luck

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
You might want to see if there is another member on here close to you that has a 939 series that can go with you to check it over. 2 heads can be better than one.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am not at all impressed with the rebuilt trucks that have come out. Things seem to be half-a**ed. This is coming from a guy who owns several of them right now. I prefer the original M939 series trucks that I own over the rebuilds. Sure, the rebuilds have some nice features, but I have been finding that the rebuild really did not involve a total overhaul...more like patch this, patch that, and blow it out with as much original cr*p as they could get away with. They haphazardly replace some things, but not others...and it varies by truck. The fact that the compressor gave out on a rebuilt truck is another example of this.

Goomer214

The truck odometer says it has 26k on it how long do they last powertrane wise
I'll assume then that the rebuild replaced non of the bigger components
would that be a more accurate guage of the truck

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
$15 large for a winch truck is twice the hobby price for a truck. Unless you like leaving a huge pile of cash on the table, I'd wait a bit.

Take a look at Ebay and our classifieds. You will find comparisons to guide you in pricing.

Rick

Goomer214

He's asking 12k and it's. 230 miles away he added a extra fuel tank and civi electric brake controler
I think from reading and looking around I'd be happier paying. 10k
maybe that's to much I'm just not keen on gambling with gov liquidation
I buy from there bout 6 times a year and have looked at their truck but u can't drive it or start it so who knows untill u win it
I have a hard time finding winch trucks in my area this one has one but maybe a 24 v winch is better than hydraulic
also has no cargo cover and I want one so maybe this one isn't for me
the gov liquidation guy told me they have more trucks coming up nxt week

Rifleman

As other members have said, don't get real worked up over a truck that just underwent an overhauled. I have seen some pretty sloppy work done on overhauled trucks with very low miles. It would seem that some of the contractors doing the overhaul work, for one at the Red River Army depot may not care about doing as good a job as they should. I would take the advice from other members here to look the truck over real well before you even think about making an offer. The very best idea would be have another S.S. member who lives close to you and knows these trucks do a pre buy inspection on it. That way you will have someone looking out for you, and they just might end up saving you from a BIG MISTAKE.

Goomer214

How would I go about contacting a member here in seattle about helping me out I'd be willing to pay something for expertise
I'd like to ride in one and have some one go over theirs with me to show me what to look for