• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I hear HAM operators on my computer speakers

Gunfreak25

Anyone else pickup HAM radio operators on their computer speakers? There's this one guy who I think is in the Grand Canyon area who is annoying as ever. The voice is as clear a day, but I cannot for the life of me figure out what this guy is talking about when he speaks. I thought truckers slang was bad, HAM radio guys obviously have a language all their own. Pretty interesting to sit and listen if I am bored, he has a monotonous little whistle he likes to do once in awhile. Mostly in the morning, is he clearing the static or something? He talks about sweep, scope, etc. Doesn't sound like a very nice guy, swears like a sailor and is always talking dirt about some "noob" who doesn't have enough scope. Him and this other guy get into the most bizarre conversations about things that make absolutely no sense. Although I can never hear the other guy.

Only something this weird would happen to me and my computer speakers. aua

AceHigh

I am a ham dude WG8D and I never hear swearing on the bands, but maybe I just don't tune where it is. If he is doing that, just record it and send it to the FCC. What is his call sign?

If you get his call you can get his address easily. Most hams will gladly help you get filtering for your equipment if they can't solve it at their end. If you don't hear him give his call sign every 10 minutes or so, well, he is not a ham operator.

My daughter had an illegal CBer next door to her in FL, apparently running 1KW or so. Tore up her TVs, phones and radios! Good luck with it. Oh and Merry Christmas from a relatively warm WV.

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
IMHO, If this is the case your computer must be connected to a home wifi system. If you are not on a home wifi to get your internet connection I would turn your wifi adapter off.

Let me know if this helps.

98taco3

very strange issue. Ive seen interference caused by hams before but never clear audio over something that is not a receiver of some sort. As above see if he gives a call sign, usually 6 characters, letters and numbers. If you get it contact the FCC about the issue, he shouldnt be swearing on the ham bands. And sounds like he would have to be running some SERIOUS power to create that much interference!

phil2968

CBer's swear and run lots of power. He is not a ham operator. He will mever give a call sign because he does not have one. I used to do the same thing. I never keyed up around banks and chuches on sunday. I learned the hard way about night clubs. All the bouncers came out looking for the source of the noise! 2cents

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I agree but there must be a way for the computer to receive the signal. I may be wrong but the signal just cant be picked up and transmitted through your computer speakers with out a way to receive the signal.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Depending on the frequency you could have a harmonic that just happens to match up with your equipment and voila', you have sound coming out of your speakers.

I have also heard 6 foot tall glass tubes talking as well but that's a different story.

;-)

FCC will go after them and they take a dim view of the problem.

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why not Don? You ever hear of kids with braces hearing voices? Same principle.

Actually, I have not heard of that. I had braces as a kid, maybe that was my problem and I was not hearing voices in my head. GRRRRRRRRRRR

And think of all the drugs I had to take to get rid of all those voices. another Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I agree but there must be a way for the computer to receive the signal. I may be wrong but the signal just cant be picked up and transmitted through your computer speakers with out a way to receive the signal.
Anything not shielded by a grounded outer housing can become an antenna for interference. The audio cable coming out of the computer to the speakers is a prime example.

You've got to think about it in terms of energy. CB radios, by law, are only supposed to use 4 watts. 4 watts MAX. A lot of truckers have linears that crank them up to 1000 watts or more. Back when my father was young, he had a base station at home with a yagi arrangement he had on a rotater. Let's just say he easily doubled some of the linears other had...

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Whew!!!!

Thank GOD this thread got started!!!

All this time I thought the "voices" in my head were a sign of ...er...well...:shock::shock:

Now I learn it may just be the plate in my skull receiving transmissions!:tin hat::tin hat::doh:

n1bnc

Take a walk around the neighbor hood and look for antennas. CB antennas are different than ham antennas. They are often multiples of 102"(+/-) a quarter wavelength on the CB band and ham radio antennas can be much larger. Not many hams also use AM as a mode of communication as SSB is more common in the shortwave spectrum. Typically hams do not cuss up a storm either. Given your description of the verbiage, he is 99% a CB'er with no respect for the FCC's rules for that service. Once you locate the source, you can invite the FCC to address the issue. However, keep in mind also Part 15 of the FCC regs state that your device may be at fault for not behaving in the way it was designed due to a high RF energy environment (if the transmitter is not defective). Typically RFI (radio frequency interference) happens as a result of poor design techniques to save on manufacturing costs. Good solid connections, shielded cables are good start and if problems persist, use of filters will be necessary. There is a lot of material on the subject on various websites.

As to metal braces acting like a radio it is due to rectification of a local AM station (50,000watts) being caused by a poor electrical connection between the wires and the metal work on the teeth. Rain gutter sections not properly electrically will do this too. So Papabear needs to be grounded to reduce those inner voices! :idea:

shenkmen

Anyone else pickup HAM radio operators on their computer speakers? There's this one guy who I think is in the Grand Canyon area who is annoying as ever. The voice is as clear a day, but I cannot for the life of me figure out what this guy is talking about when he speaks. I thought truckers slang was bad, HAM radio guys obviously have a language all their own. Pretty interesting to sit and listen if I am bored, he has a monotonous little whistle he likes to do once in awhile. Mostly in the morning, is he clearing the static or something? He talks about sweep, scope, etc. Doesn't sound like a very nice guy, swears like a sailor and is always talking dirt about some "noob" who doesn't have enough scope. Him and this other guy get into the most bizarre conversations about things that make absolutely no sense. Although I can never hear the other guy.

Only something this weird would happen to me and my computer speakers. aua
Have you confirmed that at least one other person can hear the voice? :p

ABN173

Years ago my former step dad was running a Linear boost on the home CB base station as well as the pick-up truck he drove. When he keyed the base station we would hear it over many appliances in the house, TV's, Radio whatever. One time my brother borrowed his truck so we could go to McDonalds I rode along and our transmissions were bleeding over to the McD's intercom for the drive through as well as their PA systems.

I am fairly sure this is what is going on. It has little to do with his wifi system/computer.

-Dale

3dAngus

These kinds of things can cause subtle degradation in ALL your electronics in the house.
You need to do a number of things to eliminate, and even they might not help, but it need be done for safety. Let's assume he is not right next door.

First, check you house ground from the main circuit breaker panel. You must have a good ground with a good connection. If it appears bad, be sure to shut off the main breaker before you attempt any repairs.

Second, check all your wiring on your computer. Something is getting in there (obviously) that should not. You can buy a filtered power outlet with multiple filters built in and use it for an extension cord, to plug in all your electronics around your computer. It will set you back about $100 for a really good one.

Next, be sure your wires and cables, especially those going to your speakers from your computer is shielded with a higher quality wiring. It would appear that the "noise" may be getting in the power supply and circulating throughout the computer to your audio amps, but could also be intercepted in cheap unshielded wiring anywhere in the house, but especially in the speaker wiring.

If you do this, it might not be eliminated, but should surely cut out most of it.
Also, be sure to call the FCC. It's why we have rules about power and licensing. He should be fined for the interference and it need be looked into. No one has a right to interfere upon another in such manner. He is likely close by. You should see an antenna sticking up even across the house, probably in someones backyard, but reaching above the rooftop. Might be stranded across several trees if you don't see a tower or tall whip.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
"but especially in the speaker wiring"

That is not the case.
"Post amplifier" has little to no pickup of transmitted interferance. 99% of unwanted sound will come from "pre-amp" cables.

3dAngus

Seeings that it is audio, I would have to agree with ya. It was RF interference I was thinking for shielded speaker wire, and the RF would NOT be demodulated to audio in a wire. Thanks.

edit: Oh crud, my brain is fried. The way it works with RFI is, if unshielded cable on a system, high powered RF can enter and get on chassis ground through the connection. Once on chassis, which is usually grounded, it can get in the power supply. Once in the power supply, it can be thrown in any part of the circuitry, be demodulated in the IF, and thrown out the final amps.

Shields thoughout the system do wonders, but a good grounding system is a must.

Also, another simple thing you can do is check all your extension cords and electrical connections, and make sure the third (ground) wire prong is not cut off, or you don't have a three prong to two prong connector in place, which removes your earth ground from your equipment.
Then remove the plate from your power outlet in the wall, and check to make sure the green wire is hooked up. A lot of old houses just wired up two wires, in lieu of three to some of the outlets.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks