• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I heard a SNAP and got that sudden sinking feeling!

Mt Doom Field Owner

I decided running a little rope over the bows and pulling it tight would lift up the cover and keep rainwater from forming huge pockets of water after a heavy rain. When I pulled that rope my back bow snapped. Inspection showed that the wood grain was doomed to fail from the beginning... weather creaks were alread forming in several places. Do other MV owners get a sudden sinking feeling when something (even little things) go SNAP!!! on their favorite big-boy-toy? Any ideas on getting a replacement bow top piece? Can a local wood working shop create one or are they available for the one piece or one bow (would buy legs and all if necessary) but without having to buy a whole set? Anyone got one to sell? I'm in N. central Alabama but bet UPS would deliver one. Please help cause Duct Tape won't last too long on this quick fix!

sloryd

There is a wood repair product that you can use without spending alot of money to repair/replace the wood items on your truck. One of my hobbies was restoring wood hull boats and yahts. There is a product out there call West System that is used in restoring wood compoments on boats.

It is a 2 part epoxy system that has additive's to be mixed into the epoxy for variuos purposes. I have taken wood items that you would not think repairable, and make it brand new with this stuff.

Just to a search on the internet for West System.

waayfast

I had a pretty good set of wood that came with my truck-- a few pieces weren't too good tho-- repaired them with fiberglass.Actually have an upright that about the bottom 12 inches was rotted clear off--rather time consuming to build it up with fiberglass but at the time I had the time and material but no money to buy a new piece.

Attachments

Mt Doom Field Owner

Hadn't considered glueing the two pieces back together! Their is a lot of angle to the crack so I will get the best epoxie or wood glue I can find locally and then glue and clamp the top bow. Afterwards I may pre-drill and run some long screws through the bow for added support. This should get it back into running order so we can use the Deuce by the weekend! I will continue looking for a replacement bow for future needs. :p

airmech3839

I just bought some here at SECO in Augusta. I was able to go through their take off pile and picked up a fiberglass aluminum set where the top bow is all aluminum and it had steel corneres and fiberglass legs... cost me $50 bucks though!! I might be able to find you just the top and send one to you if you want a metal one or fibeglass if they have another one. PM me and I will set it up.

airmech3839

Another thought to temp fix is getting a 2 2in X 6ft peices of steel or aluminum not thick just stout and sandwich the wood with bolts and nuts... if it is a thin enough piece of steel it will bend enough for the shape and add the strength. just my 2cents

tm america

they make fiberglass one or i think i have even seen aluminum ones before .but you can make them easy enough most wood has a crown to it already so if you pay attention to the crown you can get a peice that already has the bend in it so it wont take much work to trim it to fit

Mt Doom Field Owner

I like that "splint" concept as well. Obviously the bow at the front and back take much more stress than the inner bows. After I glue, clamp and run screws (and maybe add the splints) I will then move this bow to the center of the truck bed and after finding the best of the inner bows will move the strongest looking one out to the back. :!:

Oh yea...tm america has a good input... we have tons of bucked up #3 and #4 grade lumber lying around to make bunkers out of. A nice bowed up 1 x 4 with some trimming to fit the corners would be a simple fix!

Last edited:

tm america

they make fiberglass ones or i think i have even seen aluminum ones before .but you can make them easy enough most wood has a crown to it already so if you pay attention to the crown you can get a peice that already has the bend in it so it wont take much work to trim it to fit:roll:

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
$50 for 1 bow? That's crazy. SECO does have some cool stuff but they usually want 10 times what it is actually worth.

Mt Doom Field Owner

I love the SS forums... already in a few hours since this morning I have found members with single bows and I would not have to buy the whole set... Memphis Equipment has singles for a reasonable price but shipping might be as much again?... Found some from the member who sold me the truck and lives like 20 miles away and also found out about a dozen ways to repair, mend, glue or make new tops. Also I did do a search of the past posts and found a lot more info on the subject from past posts months ago. It is just so nice to have this LARGE forum that has someone knowledgable online at almost any second of the day on almost any problem you might have! I know breaking an overhead support wooden slat is about as minor of a Deuce breakage as there can be.... but... it's great to have friends!;-)

tm america

yes ss is therapy for guys who go green what would we do without it.oh ya saturn sells the pieces separately and if i remember they were reasonable on the prices to

airmech3839

SECO is on my way to work...yeah they are a bit high but they useually have what you need...my cargo top cost 250 new vinyl one with a couple buckles banged up but no holes...good take off...then I asked about bows...yup 50 a bow!!!!!!!! same price as top!!! He even went up on a quoted price that I had with him over the phone...he told me 100 for so good takeoff 9X20's with rim...he said that the rims are worth that much and he doesnt know why he would have told me that price... They have a warehouse full of parts and a yard full of every type of cargo truck and wrecker...lots of parts...just gonna pay through the nose to get them.

rattlecan6104

When I redid mine, I just trimmed boards to size, and crammed everything into place, the metal uprights do a good job of making the bows... well.. bow.

On a side note as to sympathy to your pain, after redoing my bows, I was backing up to a tree in my front yard with the tail gate dowm, and heard a crack, I figured the tailgate hit the trunk, nope it was a large branch hitting my rear most bow...

I ripped the tree down just to show it who's boss