• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I imploded my winch.

The King Machine

I'm trying to figure out how I destroyed my winch. I would much appreciate any thoughts you guys have on this event. Now the first thing I could have done was not keep the bumper handle engaged, I'll remember that for next time. My question is, How could me shifting the truck in reverse engage the PTO? has anyone ever had this happen to them before? The safety latch on the floor was engaged and still is.
The way I see it I put the truck in reverse the PTO engaged for a few seconds (enough time to blow the winch up) then disengage when I took it out of reverse. I've goggled it and searched around but I'm stumped

Thanks.

eagle4g63

Ok, since I have had almost the same thing happen.......my winch engaged, however the safety pin broke as it is suppose to do. IF your PTO linkage is not adjust just right than it is very close to engaging......yes with the floor plate holding it(like said holding it just close enough) when you put it in reverse it "flexed" the truck just enough that the movement of the motor and trans against a locked in place linkage engaged the pto enough to engage the winch........which by the way should ALWAYS be in the DISENGAGED position.

Now on to your second problem........the winch being torn up......if it is truely exploded......than you have a very HARD bolt in the winch drive shaft instead of the aluminum pin that should be in there. Remember the motor and pto have way more torque than the winch should ever be able to handle......the reason behind the soft pin, so it will break instead of the winch!!!

Now are you sure the winch is broken and not just the pin underneath? Maybe you didn't know there was a pin that is made to break in the input shaft.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Blew up, and imploded, are opposites.

Had you read the TM before this?

Were you aware of the disengage lever on the winch?

As was already posted, your linkage may be mis-adjusted. You may have bad cab mounts.

The King Machine

Ok, since I have had almost the same thing happen.......my winch engaged, however the safety pin broke as it is suppose to do. IF your PTO linkage is not adjust just right than it is very close to engaging......yes with the floor plate holding it(like said holding it just close enough) when you put it in reverse it "flexed" the truck just enough that the movement of the motor and trans against a locked in place linkage engaged the pto enough to engage the winch........which by the way should ALWAYS be in the DISENGAGED position.

Now on to your second problem........the winch being torn up......if it is truely exploded......than you have a very HARD bolt in the winch drive shaft instead of the aluminum pin that should be in there. Remember the motor and pto have way more torque than the winch should ever be able to handle......the reason behind the soft pin, so it will break instead of the winch!!!

Now are you sure the winch is broken and not just the pin underneath? Maybe you didn't know there was a pin that is made to break in the input shaft.
I will post pictures when I get home. I keep a bag of alum. shear pins in the truck, but I have never checked the one installed currently. I made a few mistakes it appears, I will ensure this does not happen again. The bumper handle position was a major meat head move. So I will investigate this fully.

eagle, I think you have hit the head of the nail on your assessment.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Now the first thing I could have done was not keep the bumper handle engaged, I'll remember that for next time.
disengaged

When using the written language to convey thoughts, it is important to get it right.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes I agree just because the cab flip latch says it is in netrual or disengaged does not mean the linkage was correct. This would be something that you would think would be ok when you got the truck but owell

Last edited:

The King Machine

Dog head,

I was aware of of the lever on the winch, Leaving it locked in was a mistake brought upon by the fact I don't have the drum lock pin. Bottom line I left the winch handle engaged to avoid the the drum un spooling while driving. I blew that one, I never thought the the PTO would engage without warning. I do not believe my cab mounts are toast but eagle may be right. From memory I know the linkage to the PTO and cab handle was bent by the previous owner of the truck. Perhaps it was mis adjusted because of this.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
With the broken drum lock you could have tighten the drag brake and drum would have stayed tight. As my friend Doghead barks read the tm's

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well,the good news is that you can un-bolt the broken winch and replace it with a working winch. You do not have to invest in the items that make a wo/w to w/w conversion expensive. Adjust the PTO and you are good to go. You get some spare parts off the broken winch and some money back for scrap weight. It's all good. Trying to cheer you up here. We all make mistakes from time to time.

The King Machine

Well,the good news is that you can un-bolt the broken winch and replace it with a working winch. You do not have to invest in the items that make a wo/w to w/w conversion expensive. Adjust the PTO and you are good to go. You get some spare parts off the broken winch and some money back for scrap weight. It's all good. Trying to cheer you up here. We all make mistakes from time to time.

If you got the "kick a man when he is down" flavor from this thread, well I did too. The TM worshiper's believe everything can be learned from reading, maybe they ride a desk and really feel that way. I don't , I'm a do'er I get my hands dirty and I learn
by experience. Sometimes mistakes are made, while learning. Mistakes are one of the few ways people can really truly learn anything.

Some of these guys should write TM's about how to raise a family, or be good at your job, or maybe how to make love to a woman. There are many great and positive things that will come from this accident with my winch. Here is the best part, when I bought the truck it came with a spare winch body. A new housing that I can just transfer the guts out of the damaged one into. I have it already!!!! :0

So I'll gain a very intricate knowledge of the winch system on this truck by doing a rebuild of it............the proper way to learn, hands on. More knowledge than I could ever get from reading on my lazy boy. Also I have a set TM's on paper for this truck on stand by just in case I need to reference them, and I will.

So I made a mistake, I will learn a great deal more from it. Much more than if I had never made one. Cattlerepairman thank you for trying to cheer me up, but I am one tough sob. I'll come out ontop

eagle thank you, people like you are an asset to this forum and set a good example for young whippersnappers like me.
Hank I will be sure to post all sorts of pics in this thread about the rebuild of the winch, maybe others can learn from my mistake too.

doghead.......you are on grammar patrol, a very important position that can only be filled by a certain type of person. Did you know I also enjoy the work of Elvis. I just watched Love Me Tender on the weekend. I'm young but not stupid, just learning still.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
This is a GOOD thread to show owners one of the reasons WHY the drum clutch should ALWAYS be disengaged and the drum lock engaged when the winch is not in use.

WAS there a SHEAR PIN installed or a bolt in the winch drive ?????

jamawieb

If something went wrong inside the winch, then it was more than likely the main ring gear. I had to replace mine because the previous owner put a steel bolt in for shear pin. The only place I could find one is Memphis equipment and its pricey.

sandcobra164

The King Machine. I'm actually really happy to see someone as a newbie articulate you're anger out in a constructive manner. Most people that are new and get bashed by moderators just cuss people they don't like out and get deleted from the site as a whole. I don't have a winch M35 truck and I would be inexperienced with one if I had it but I think that the "hand's on" and learning approach will do you some good. I will say though that alot of this has been covered before as there is a ton of knowledge to be gained by searching through the threads. That's what the mod's get mad about, starting a new thread about something that has been covered before. I've been in your shoes with regards to that and I've been here awhile and I mostly gloss over stuff that has been beat into the dirt time and time again. I didn't say it earlier but "Welcome to the site!"

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
is it really worth learning that you need 2 people to safely use the winch, by destroying the radiator, or would a little reading be in order? I hope you don't think the engage/disengage handle on the winch is to be used while winching!!

The King Machine

is it really worth learning that you need 2 people to safely use the winch, by destroying the radiator, or would a little reading be in order? I hope you don't think the engage/disengage handle on the winch is to be used while winching!!
Tom,

I understand how it operates and how many men it takes to operate the truck. Friend I'm willing to bet I could educate you how how to operate this vehicle. In the conditions it was designed to be used. This is a great piece of American engineering, I respect it. This was a case of a series of small mistakes that ended up in a bad spot. It happens.
This truck is 48 years old, retired United States Army Reserve (1966-2003) and still giving the young guys a run for their money, including me. I'm in bed by 8pm after a day of operation. Not to mention she is serving across the border to the north.
I prefer Soldier A,B,C, and D to operate this truck to her full potential.

Pictures are worth a thousand words. They should explain a lot, including my stupidity .

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks