• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I joined the 803A club as well!

CT-Mike

If the sensed voltage is over a set point the maintainer doesn’t turn on so I do not believe it would cause any harm to remain plugged in while the alternator outputs power
So I have a NOCO Genius 7200 maintaining my Optima Red Tops, and I contacted NOCO about leaving it connected while the generator starts and runs. One of their engineers got back to me and stated that it was ok to leave it connected, but it absolutely had to be unplugged prior to starting the generator. YMMV.

rhurey

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My 7200 gets angry and has many blinky lights if I don't unplug it. Exactly what their manual says is an error code. Oops.

Kenny0

Check with manufacture to be sure, especially if using 2 12v chargers. Some years ago I was working on an excavator and needed to drill several holes. Used my stat power inverter to power the drill. The excavator was 24v so hooked it on one battery. That worked good until I started the machine with the inverter still connected. As soon as I hit the start button, it fried the inverter. The inverter was made in Canada. The inverter isn't a battery charger, but is electronic item like a lot of battery chargers are.

rogpike

Great info...how about the decision to leave genset in garage and mount on caster and roll out when needed or put it on the concrete pad I have?

jimbo913

I will check with the MFG on the charger. Hopefully I get a decent response and not the CYA response. I know the cell tower generator I once bought had the charger connected all the time but maybe the circuit powering the charger was not backed up (doubtful).

Regarding inside or outside storage, it comes down to how often you think you will use it and if you want to fool with dragging it out and connecting it during an outage. Do you want to be doing that in the sleet, rain, etc.? Are there others in the house who might need to use it who are not capable to connect it?
If it were me and I had a pad, I would put it outside and have it ready to go. Mine is on a military trailer and has been sitting beside the house covered and connected for a long long time.

boatman69

That sounds really good. But the problem is one shuts off the other one turns on and back and forth. There needs to be some sort of a dead band where nothing happens. The alternator maybe adjustable haven't looked into it that far. The battery maintainer/charger certainly isn't. If I had a battery for everyone I've seen get ruined by one of those I would never have to buy with one in my lifetime. The Regulators are either set too high for float or they fail overcharging.

Chainbreaker

...The battery maintainer/charger certainly isn't. If I had a battery for everyone I've seen get ruined by one of those I would never have to buy with one in my lifetime. The Regulators are either set too high for float or they fail overcharging.
Wondering if you have had any experiences (good or bad) with the "BatterMinder" brand of maintainers/chargers? I purchased two sets (for both of my active gensets) of two of the 12V model 1510's so each battery gets its own maintainer/charger and have been using them 24/7 for about 3 years and they seem to be keeping my then new Interstate batteries well maintained. I like the fact that they have an ambient air temperature sensor to adjust charging output. I have mine plugged into a power strip and always turn off the power strip prior to starting generator.

http://www.batteryminders.com/1510-12-volt-maintenance-charger-desfulator-with-warranty

For others who might be considering 24V maintainers/chargers: http://www.batteryminders.com/

Last edited:

jimbo913

I contacted battery tender, gave my tender model number and explained the application. They said the DC side has a reverse blocking diode so generators alternator voltage wont harm the tender. They also stated that if the generator also powers the tender, as long as AC power is not turned on until the generator voltage/ frequency stabilizes, that the tender (and other home electronics) will not be harmed.
Do your own research but thats what they told me.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks