• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I just bought a 1985 Dually

SteelNinja

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey Guys , I just bought a really nice , super clean dually .. But I do have some basic questions... also I want to keep a book on all info I find out and keep me a logbook .
I know there are places on the forums I could search for info But I figured I pop a few questions maybe you could help me out with.
also I will post picture as I do the work :)
1 is just the starting and charging 24 volt? I want to install a stereo and back up camera.
2 Will humvee rims fit the truck? I want 37-38 tall tires..
3 I have an issue with the glow plugs - It wont energize the glow plugs using the switch - I have to jump the solenoid .. Could I just put a push button switch?
4 any suggestion on a battery maintainer to mount under the hood?
5 I believe I want some 3 inch lift springs to put in the from , any suggestions? Brand? issues?
I have an appointment at the local exhaust shop and have some flow masters to install.
Lugnutz has a rear disc brake setup I am sure to want- which fluid does this system take? Dot 3-4-5?
That should do me Gents...I appreciate any info .

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Answers as available

1) Yes, you can add what you are asking about without issue
2) Do you plan to run 6 tires? Since it's a dually, you could put HMMWV rims on it as is if you keep them single. Dually fenders might look odd..
3) Yes but the system really should be checked out and fixed. I consider the push button a band aid emergency mod.
4) I really like the NOCO products. With that said, my truck sits for months and always starts sans maintainer. Nice Group 31 batteries help.
5) Can't help much here but Off Road Design seems to have a good rep.
6) The truck, as built, had DOT5
Regarding the disc brake setup, what are your plans for a parking brake? Here in the mountains, they are critical.

Edited #2 to reflect better information regarding it being a dually

Last edited:

MarcusOReallyus

IF you are swapping the rears to discs, you probably want to flush the system thoroughly anyway,, so do that and run whatever you want. (HINT: The Army gave up on synthetics brake fluid.) The military process for flushing prior to changing the fluid type is to flush it with isopropyl alcohol.

Check your brake lines while you are at it. If they are rusty at all, maybe now's the time to refresh the whole system.

By the way, it's not an 85. The Army didn't want the hassle of dealing with model year changes in their supply chain, so they required them all to be built to 84 specs. Keep that in mind when you are shopping for civvy part equivalents.

SteelNinja

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The Company that sells the rear disc also has them with E brakes
In Near Mt Eagle TN
I owned a single wheel years ago ( 1028 ) if I remember correctly.
I would like to get the glow plugs working correctly - where to start?

oshacraig

Hey Guys , I just bought a really nice , super clean dually .. But I do have some basic questions... also I want to keep a book on all info I find out and keep me a logbook .
I know there are places on the forums I could search for info But I figured I pop a few questions maybe you could help me out with.
1 is just the starting and charging 24 volt? I want to install a stereo and back up camera.
3 I have an issue with the glow plugs - It wont energize the glow plugs using the switch - I have to jump the solenoid .. Could I just put a push button switch?
5 I believe I want some 3 inch lift springs to put in the from , any suggestions? Brand? issues?
I have an appointment at the local exhaust shop and have some flow masters to install.
Lugnutz has a rear disc brake setup I am sure to want- which fluid does this system take? Dot 3-4-5?
Push button switch will do just fine. Check your harmonic balancer, make sure it does not have cracks in the elastomer ring. I bought a Fluid damper from summit, lowest price I could find, you'll be glad you did. I also replaced that junk fuel filter with a RACOR system. You can get those on ebay for a steal. If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask. There is a wealth of knowledge here and I will be glad to help anyway I can. I have restored a few CUCV's. I also lost an M1008 to a drunk driver he destroyed my truck and worse. I love my 6.2, there are simple things to make it much better that its much maligned reputation.

SteelNinja

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the help, I'll check it all out ..
at this point Id like to find out why the glow plugs do not click on .. and why I have to jump the solenoid.

Curtisje

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the help, I'll check it all out ..
at this point Id like to find out why the glow plugs do not click on .. and why I have to jump the solenoid.
Check to see if the glowplug control card is present. If it is carefully remove it and check it for visible burn marks. It may be your problem.

Don't clamp on the card with pliers or vice grips, you will likely break it. I use a rag and needle nose pliers to gentle remove the card.

Good luck.

SteelNinja

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks , can I ask where is it located ? what can cause it to burn out? also is there any manuals for these trucks with lots of info? Thanks again

LT67

These trucks have a 10k lb braking system. Those rear drums work very well and provide a lot of stopping power. I tow my Kubota 3301 on a tandem axle trailer with my M1008 on short 2.3 mile trip and it stops it very well.

**my speed is never over 40. A trailer brake controller is a must for higher speeds.

MarcusOReallyus

Thanks , can I ask where is it located ? what can cause it to burn out?
It's under the dash, driver's side. Look for a little black plastic box, a bit bigger than a pack of cigarettes. (Roughly)

Age. Bad jump starts. These trucks are pretty old, and things fail. The good news is, new cards are avaialble from Hillbilly Wizard. But don't just go buy one yet. Let us help you figure out what's wrong.

also is there any manuals for these trucks with lots of info? Thanks again
PREPARE TO BE BURIED! :cool:

All the info you need is right here on SteelSoldiers.com. The Army technical manuals (TMs) are very exhaustive, and were written so that 18 year old kids with minimal training could maintain and repair these vehicles. You can download them for free right here. There are some more useful manuals here.

Also, a ton of good info is available in the Helpful Threads sticky. It is loaded with good info. (There used to be a Wiki, but I can't find it to save my life.)

Git busy readin' !! :D

Holler if you have specific questions. That's what this forum is for. (y)

SteelNinja

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks Guys I really appreciate all the help , Life keeps me very busy . It took me 2 yrs to change a window in my house LOL I work 10-14 hours a day 6 days a week , I crash hard on my day off . So all info giving and saves me time is GREATLY appreciated ...Im getting older and see the end of the tunnel - so every minute counts...LOL
I Thank you very much....

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
Thanks , can I ask where is it located ? what can cause it to burn out? also is there any manuals for these trucks with lots of info? Thanks again
Where is our guy that says it is in the TM's............
and the other guy with all the balloons and things that says this is worthless without pitchers.

SteelNinja

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Im torn on which way to go , Probably SRW ...
or Humvee front and if I can find dual tires the height of the humvee fronts.
I want to keep the 400 trans and don't want to change gears .. So I guess its time for a lift and tall tires

Curtisje

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Im torn on which way to go , Probably SRW ...
or Humvee front and if I can find dual tires the height of the humvee fronts.
I want to keep the 400 trans and don't want to change gears .. So I guess its time for a lift and tall tires
Or pick up a set of 16.5 inch dually wheels and a set of spacers for the rear. Run the HMMWV 37" tires and enjoy. 20200125_115437.jpg20190420_161619.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks