• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I just bought a M135CDN not running

nineyards

its a m135 cdn in verry good shape somebody was trying to put duels on the back i think ... The moters needs push rods I was told by the owner ... but who knows .I have some skills in big iron but out of my ellement with milatary and this is a site that interest me .Any help in sorcing parts would help this version came with only six tires i believe .I will try and post a pic.maybe they just bolted the tire on reversed on the back ?

Attachments

Last edited:

nattieleather

Yep someone put the wrong rims on the truck You can tell by how far they are sticking out from the truck. Nice truck. The hard part will be finding the right bed for it. Welcome to the site and good luck with your project.

Gunfreak25

Normal maintenance parts are still easy to get, restoration parts such as new old stock seat cushions, covers, weatherstripping and other small bits are a lot harder to find than they were 10 years ago. Farmers exhausted nearly all the parts for these truck's throughout the 70's and into the 90's.

Obvious parts sources are:

Alfa Heaven
Memphis Equipment
Brian Asbury in Canada
Ebay (type in M135, M211 or G749)

Many parts are actually more standardized than you think and we have come a long way on he board in the past 2 years in finding modern replacement part numbers for certain thing's.
Simply put there is little that cannot be replaced on the GMC's with enough research and money, :beer:

By the way, Memphis Equipment stock's thousands of parts not listed on their site. **** I need to get that Levy parts book posted.

M1031CMT

Looks like someone just threw some tires on it to give it something to roll on.

We have restored more than a few of them over the years. Good trucks. Parts are pretty easy to get.

We had 30-40 tires on rims for them just sitting around for the longest time before getting rid of most of them to make room.

Good luck on your truck. Looks to be in very good shape.

nineyards

Wow you folks no how to to make a guy feel welcome... And good about a new purchase that was not to welcome by main ....how do I say other. Anyway it's on a lowbed on its way here I will post pics. Of the build the interior is all intact and all the obvious whare points ie... Door handles , floor boards ,shifter show very little wear ... Thanks for the suport

M1031CMT

Well if you don't want it, you could always redirect the truck to our yard here. It would be a **** of a detour, but we wouldn't mind. haha :-D

I know a few people in Canada with parts if needed. Would save you some money on customs/duties versus ordering from outside the country for some things.

Make sure you keep us up to date with the progress!

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
M135CDN wheels

Great find and welcome to the green vacuum. Post as many pics as you can.

If you're lucky, someone just flipped the wheels and you're running original M135 rims. They have a life span and are getting harder to find in useable condition.

The difference between dually and single is the "off-set" as shown by Levi schematic pics. one and two. Two of the same page for clarity.

Flippin an M135 rim kicks it out beyond the 'normal' truck width. Cool wheel stagger idea if you're out playin' in the mud.

This guy....M1031CMT......has most of the TM's graciously available on his site. MilitaryTrucks.ca - Welcome!. Great toilet and bed time reading that will answer a pile of questions.

Section 12 paragraph 253 pages 283 to 286 has some 'wheel' info.
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] TM 9-1819AC (Part 4 of 6)

The 302 motor spits out some screaming RPM and throwing a rod would be easy. [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Engine tear down TM's are also available at militarytrucks.ca
[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Let's hope you have an easy time with it because driving them is so much fun.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bj0HRUflhfM[/media]
[/FONT]

Attachments

butch atkins

Thanks for saving another GMC ,Good luck on your project.Keep posting ,lots of experience andknowledge here,a valuable resource when restoring something "out of your comfort zone".Welcome to the site

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome! Keep up posting the pics. We'll enjoy following your progress.

Nothing makes my heart warmer that seeing it coming off the lowboy at someone's home! :beer:

Oh yea, almost forgot. Take a tire off the rim, throw the split ring away, dig a hole 20" diameter and 10" deep. Then drop the rim in the hole with the flange up and the center down. Fill it with wood and light it on fire. Crack open a cold Dew and invite your neighbors over. Then sell them one of your fancy fire rings to free up some cash for other stuff!

Last edited:

Gunfreak25

Welcome! Keep up posting the pics. We'll enjoy following your progress.

Nothing makes my heart warmer that seeing it coming off the lowboy at someone's home! :beer:

Oh yea, almost forgot. Take a tire off the rim, throw the split ring away, dig a hole 20" diameter and 10" deep. Then drop the rim in the hole with the flange up and the center down. Fill it with wood and light it on fire. Crack open a cold Dew and invite your neighbors over. Then sell them one of your fancy fire rings to free up some cash for other stuff!

Dang, I know what i'm doin with my rotted spare now.............

54hms

Nice looking truck to start with. I have a spare bed in OK condition, but to bad i'm on the other side of the country. Can't wait to see more.....:beer:

YkDave

I may be able to help you out with some parts...

When i got my M135CDN it also came with a parts truck...

The time has come that the parts truck has been sittin on someone elses property for too long and something needs to be done with it. Currently the only parts i need out of it are the transfer case.

Its got a box on it, though its full of junk so im not too sure on the overall condition, its got 3 or 4 tires on it and the motor had been pulled apart, but i believe the pushrods are all piled up in the spare cab that i got with these trucks too.

Let me know if your interested, i would prefer to get rid of the truck as a whole (if thats the case, its yours for the taking), or i can part it out for you (in that case its not going to be free, i am pretty busy lately and time im away from work is costly!)

Also, depending on the timeline your looking at, i may be able to help you out on transport of parts as i will likely be heading to Burns Lake in the spring...

Section8

Welcome nineyards!! Nice rig!! There are lots of great guys and gals on this site that can help guild you through your build.
I unfortunately am not one! Hehehehe!
Oh man! Ykdave, To bad you weren't in burns lake in august early september this year. I has up that way for my business. I woulda dragged that whole parts truck home if I had to do it with my own two legs!!
I was in yellowknife in 03 - 04 working for the mines. Great place!

Last edited:

Stan Leschert

There are more than a few parts trucks in your neck of the woods. These were frequently used by loggers and farmers. I know of a couple of carcasses up by PG, and if you talk to the oldtimers in your area, you should find what you are looking for.

There is one in the Vancouver area, but shipping for the bed would be spendy.

YkDave

Well, if the OP, or anyone else is wanting the truck, its up for grabs (literally, grab it and go LOL). Ill be pulling the tcase and remainder of the trans (already robbed the reduction unit off of it!) and unless someone wants the body/frame/axles, im not going to pay to get it hauled twice, so its going to go straight out to the dump!

Hate to toss a decent carcass in the trash, but i dont have the time to fully scrap it/part it out and dont have the storage room

Also, to the OP, i took a look this morning and i do indeed have a set of pushrods. Pay the postage and they are yours if you want (i will make sure they are all straight and usable before they go anywhere)

cmpman

If the previous owner told you the truck needed pushrods, then just as likely it has some stuck valves. I have found that the valves tend to stick on some of these Cdn deuces with as little as a year or three of sitting. If it is only one or two valves, you can sometimes free them up by using a small slide hammer and pulling the valve back up, then tapping it back down. After a few times it will free up. If you have more than a couple valves stuck, you may be just as well off pulling the head and repairing the problems on the bench.

I just picked up a nice original M135Cdn which has sat with the valve cover in the cab since about 1985. The fuel in the tank is pretty ripe and about 50% of the valves are stuck. I removed all the pushrods and can turn the engine over by hand, so the head will come off in the next couple days for cleanup.

There are still lots of parts trucks here in Manitoba. The local military scrap dealer still has 8 of the trucks (various configurations from cargo to van to M211) in as released condition for sale, along with about half a dozen parts trucks and a few of the cargo beds. There are another 10 parts trucks about 20 miles from me including one of the old line truck version.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks