• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I just won this trailer...Any ideas what it is for sure?

Sevensteps

It looks like it was meant to be pulled by a deuce.

It was listed as a "water trailer", but I believe it's a fuel trailer.

It is a "model A1-B" and is dual rear wheels and has a 600 gallon tank.

I have never seen one before and wanted a positive ID. I bought it for a fuel trailer to pull with my deuce.

It looks like it is supposed to have a pintle hitch. I'm not sure if it's hidden in the weeds or is missing...

Any input would be appreciated.

Attachments

Last edited:

kgg

pintle/lunette

In my opinion...what I think I see in the 1st picture...in the grass is a lunette eye which most people call a pintle hitch. Kind of like the the trailer hitch which is lunette eye and the trailer ball which is pintle hitch.
My opinion is it has a lunette/pintle eye....kgg

Sevensteps

1) Looks as if someone has removed the pintle hook...

2) Have you opened the hatch on top yet and inspected inside it? That should tell you what it
may have been used for... Doesn't look like the 'water buffalo' trailers I've seen, but perhaps
it was used for non-potable water for irrigation, construction, or forestry service use?

3) Where in TN are you? I'm in Knoxville.

TC
I am just east of Cookeville....

I bought it sight-unseen, so I'm not sure what it held previously, but I am almost certain from the design that it's a fuel trailer.

I wonder what the plumber's nightmare contraption on the front of the trailer is?

48cj2a

It is a Fuel trailer with gas pwered pump. We had one in our MP in the early 80s until they installed an inground tank and pump for MOGAS

A1B is a fuel trailer.

Should have a canvas cover over the front to protect the little motor and such from the elements and yes it was towed by a duce.

Sevensteps

It is a Fuel trailer with gas pwered pump. We had one in our MP in the early 80s until they installed an inground tank and pump for MOGAS

A1B is a fuel trailer.

Should have a canvas cover over the front to protect the little motor and such from the elements and yes it was towed by a duce.
Good man~! Thanks much for the info...

I have never seen one of these, but I wanted a nice fuel trailer without spending three fortunes for one...

I'll probably just remove the complicated pump system and install a simple 12V pump and hose....

A neat, never seen accessory...

Last edited:

pacebm

Just an fyi. Check into the DOT rules for hauling fuel. I am sure a search on here will pull up something but I think you have to have sometime of license to haul over 120 gallons. I am sure someone on here knows all about it. Nice trailer.2cents

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Not to rain on your parade.....it is a nice find.....but.........be aware that if you use it to haul fuel (or other flammable liquids) on public highways it will have to have HAZMAT placards on it indicating what class of hazard in inside.

It may also cause you insurance headaches. A fuel spill can cost you a ton of money to clean up.

Also......pulling a loaded trailer with an empty truck can cause jack knifing issues....make sure the trailer brakes are in good working order. If there are no baffles inside you can also get a sloshing effect when you brake.....the liquid will roll up against the front of the tank and cause a pushing effect as the weight shifts. This is worse if the tank is less than full.

Hope this helps.

Sevensteps

Wreckerman, I did plan on hauling it to the local distributor and filling it with regular road diesel...I then plan on storing it in my locked garage.

I think we are in for a coming storm on the price of all fuels and I wanted a mobile storage unit to be able to keep 500-1000 gallons of diesel for an indefinite period of time.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Seven......not a bad idea at all.......I keep some fuel stashed myself.

You might get a local fuel distributor to deliver a large amount and put it straignt into the tank. That would protect you from the
liability of hauling it on the road. Many farmers around here have their own fuel tanks (on and off road) and have it deliverd.

Reactions: JB

123mack

The poster who identified it as a fuel trailer is correct. I saw it while inspecting some other lots up for auction. There is a data plate on the chassis identifying it as a fuel distribution unit. There is a lunette on the hitch, and it is adjustable. I didn't look too closly at the rest of it as I wasn't interested in bidding. Looking at it as well as most everything else on that lot, I wouldn't tow any of it more than a few miles.

Carl_in_NH

Be certain of the state of that tank before filling it with a really close inspection; can you imagine the world of hurt you would be in for if it started leaking (or just outright failed) once you put a few hundred gallons in it?

It could be a real handy thing to have - or a self-made disaster you'll need to clean up.

Monty

Most local COOPS will come out and deliver fuel to your location, look in your local yellow pages or do a search for companys who sell oil/fuel and have them quote you a price.

Becareful on the type of fuel you get, you can pick between road grade and off road fuel. The off road grade will be cheaper since your not charged road tax on it. The off road grade is also dyed and when run in an on the road vehical can get you into a heap of issues with you local Highway Patrol if they were to check the exhaust on the truck ( the fuel burns but leaves a residue in the exhaust pipe that can be seen with a special type of light.)

Chad

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks