• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I like to dive head first into ownership, how about you?

88sport

I bought a 5-ton!!! Yay for me. The fees sucked and the taxes bent me over both ways, but I have it paid for and am going to get it next week. Thursday between 10am-3pm central time to be exact because there's no other time frame. Wish they had that somewhere listed before you win and end up calling them to find out, but you know what, it has worked out beautifully so far. The stars aligned somewhat perfectly and I have a friend of mine, joeM62 (who actually ended up convincing me to get into this) helping to recover it just in case Murphy's Law takes full effect.

Link below is only viewable if you have a Ironplanet account, but it's free to make one and you can actually use it for looking up past auctions to do research, so why not?
dude.jpg

http://www.ironplanet.com/jsp/s/item/547553?h=4-1/6-1

Supposedly it's driveable. Anyone have any helpful hints or suggestions as to what to expect?

I know that the whole Ironplanet thing is relatively new, but obviously people are buying all of these trucks up so people are having experiences with them. Outside of the ridiculous recovery window, I have no complaints with the company. The employee I have been corresponding with seems knowledgeable enough to be able to help me get in and get out as quickly as possible, even though it didn't work out so i could get it today, and getting a hold of them over the phone to begin with it suuuuuuper easy and really quick if you ask me. You hit 1 for english and then they connect you with an actual person immediately or give you the option to enter an extension if you need a particular person. I had to wait this morning and it only took like 5 minutes and the computerized thing will tell you where you are in the queue. Wish I had that with credit card companies!

I got the wire transfer done and the release form printed and ready to go, so at this point it's just...kind of...waiting for a week. :shock:

Oh, I also have a Class B CDL with all the goodies like Air Brake, School Bus, and Passenger endorsements. Yes, I am available to drive your short bus if needed.

Last edited by a moderator:

88sport

That's a nice looking truck! Good luck with the recovery.
Thank you! With that low range not working, it's strictly related to just the transfer case for the 6x6 and not for regular non-6x6 highway driving right? Or is it one of those things you don't know till you get there?

Powershift

Thank you! With that low range not working, it's strictly related to just the transfer case for the 6x6 and not for regular non-6x6 highway driving right? Or is it one of those things you don't know till you get there?
I would assume you're correct. But, go with an open mind. LOL

I also saw it says it started with a jump, but wouldn't restart on it's own. Be ready to swap in new batteries.

88sport

yeah, Joe has got some of the appropriate slave cables for doing just that. What have you found new batteries to be running at? I just don't know what the battery type is for these off hand without looking through the tms at 1:30am lol

Last edited:

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
2 regular batteries will work just fine.

Put new fully charged batteries in, don't try to slave and go on dead batteries as trying to get the alternator to charge 4 utterly dead batteries will likely kill it.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It depends on why it won't shift . no oil. smoked bearings ect . would make it unsafe to drive

FloridaAKM

Welcome aboard & to the Green Iron Disease. Congratuladions on the new to you truck that you have bought, she looks like a keeper & @ a good price. Keep us posted as to how your recovery goes & don't forget to take lots of pictures. Read up on the TM's so you will have a good idea as to what you need to look for to get her ready to drive & any problems that may come up!

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
You guys planning on trying to drive it back or towbaring it back? The path between our area (I'm guessing you're nearby since you know Joe) and Redstone takes us over the mountain range. I've recovered trailers from there a time or two. But never a vehicle. Might want to take some extra precaution until the terrain flattens out. There's a walmart outside the gates too at Redstone. I think I'd pull it off base then do a good once over PM work in the parking lot there and see if things improve. (You can get a pair of group 31 batteries there as well. Not the 6TL style batteries the military uses, but cheaper. Many people, at least in the south, run them with no issues.) GL/DRMO was pretty cool when I was there last. But I have no experience with the IP/GP mix now.

Another resource would be Wreckerman since it's around the midpoint. He has a wrecker as well.

88sport

It depends on why it won't shift . no oil. smoked bearings ect . would make it unsafe to drive
Okay, so it is a "don't know till you get there" thing. Hopefully it won't derail this recovery too badly.

You guys planning on trying to drive it back or towbaring it back? The path between our area (I'm guessing you're nearby since you know Joe) and Redstone takes us over the mountain range. I've recovered trailers from there a time or two. But never a vehicle. Might want to take some extra precaution until the terrain flattens out. There's a walmart outside the gates too at Redstone. I think I'd pull it off base then do a good once over PM work in the parking lot there and see if things improve. (You can get a pair of group 31 batteries there as well. Not the 6TL style batteries the military uses, but cheaper. Many people, at least in the south, run them with no issues.) GL/DRMO was pretty cool when I was there last. But I have no experience with the IP/GP mix now.

Another resource would be Wreckerman since it's around the midpoint. He has a wrecker as well.
Yes, Joe has acquired the needed equipment to towbar it, but I don't want to resort to that unless we have to. This thing is actually off-base already at some remote storage site, hence the limited pickup window. I asked why it was like that and they said it isn't manned except for that time window. Kind of sucks to be honest.

I think your idea of going to the walmart there sounds like a good one that may have been learned through personal experience, so I think we'll do that simply for the batteries if nothing else. And if you wanted to bring the HEMTT and tag along, the more the merrier.

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't give up on the original batteries too quickly. I have had several sets come back from the dead with long slow charging sessions. However, as has been stated, do not try running on a set of dead batteries from the get-go or risk the alternator. Frequently, the failure mode for these alternators with dead batteries is a smoked regulator that allows the alternator to go to full output (32 volts plus) thereby frequently frying gauges, lights, sensors, etc. as well.

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice truck, I love my m925. Don't forget the wasp spray. The drive to the Wallmart may be painful.

88sport

Don't give up on the original batteries too quickly. I have had several sets come back from the dead with long slow charging sessions. However, as has been stated, do not try running on a set of dead batteries from the get-go or risk the alternator. Frequently, the failure mode for these alternators with dead batteries is a smoked regulator that allows the alternator to go to full output (32 volts plus) thereby frequently frying gauges, lights, sensors, etc. as well.
Yeah, I want to be able to use the original batteries as I suspect it has probably just not been run enough to keep them charged up. However, I wouldn't want to go having to essentially replace everything electrical due to the alternator frying it. I hate electrical.
I used to do recoveries at Redstone all the time. Is it coming from Redstone or the National Guard unit off post?
Let me know if I can help. Joe used to have my number......if he don't PM me.
All I got from them was it was coming from a remote offsite location. I don't have jack besides that right now. When I printed off the release form, there was no address on it at all, so I have to call them back tomorrow or sometime before next Thursday to find out what the location is. I appreciate your offer man, and I'll ask Joe if he still has it.
Nice truck, I love my m925. Don't forget the wasp spray. The drive to the Wallmart may be painful.
Thank you for reminding me. I have a nice new can I need to take with me :mrgreen:

88sport

We'll see. Haven't even laid eyes on this beast yet and am starting to buy things for it like door locks. How deep does the rabbit hole go?

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Take a couple 5 gallon cans of Diesel and a fuel filter wrench of appropriate size.. Lot's of the "won't start" mean out of fuel. Just helped a new owner pull a M923A2 of the trailer it was delivered on, the guy said it ran right up to the ramps on his trailer. then wouldn't restart. We pulled it off the trailer got it into his yard, pulled the filter and filled it, put some in the tank, primed it a little and it started right up with my slave.

88sport

Oh yeah, I have already planned to bring at least two 5 gallon cans worth of fuel for that purpose. I don't trust what the gauge may have said.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks