• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I need a transducer MEP002A

hurst01

I have a 5KW generator that runs well but can't set the Hz. I have a Kill-A-Watt and can set it with that but would still like to have the Hz meter work as it should. I know it is the transducer because I have installed a known good one it it works fine. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Ed

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ed,

do you have to have the stock one? I know I've seen some nice digital frequency meters on e-pay for cheap. They are pretty much self contained and only need 120 or 240 (whichever meter you buy) to run them...the generator supplies that for you.

Here is a link to a real cheap one...e-pay link. Just tie the wires of the meter across L3 and L0 and you'll always have the frequency displayed when your set is running. The only issue I could imagine having with this would be the "condition" of the power when the unit is first starting up, but for $20 I would try it. It's gotta be cheaper than finding an original transducer.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would try calling Delks! They seamed real helpful to me, when I called for the master control switch.

hurst01

Doghead,

I tried Delks a bit back and they did not have one. I asked about the price should they get one in and their asking price would go a long way toward the purchase of another genset. I did just send them another email to inquire again.

Speddmon,

I do have the stock one and have considered the idea of attempting a repair. The idea of a digital meter sparks some interest, especially for the price. The meter you sent the link for requires no voltage. Others that I looked at require about 5v. I saw one that needed 110. I would rather have kept the panel original, but since I am keeping this set, I am going to check into it.
I know the Kill-A-Watt meter worked very well and I even considered mounting one of them. I started with this one generator and wound up with 6 of them. All of them are fully operational, or will be. I have to clean the tanks on two of them. I recently bought one that was listed as fully operational (494 Hrs) complete with batteries. I even have one with 384 hours that purrs like a kitten.

I learned a valuable lesson on these. I did a basic check-over, checked the oil, drained the fuel filters to check for water (and found some) installed batteries and fired up those that would. I have not run any for more than a few minutes except for the one with the bad transducer. I got to thinking about the filters and pulled the covers. So far three of them had no fuel filters or oil filters. The one with a bad transducer did have the filters and I have to check the other two. I haven't picked up the fully operational genset yet and don't know about it.
So far only one of them has had a stuck IP and I rebuilt it.
While I think of it I want to thank you for the information you gave me on the the starter switch on one of the gensets I have. Someone had been in it trying to adjust it and had it bent out of whack. It works fine now.

Thanks, Ed

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good to know. If you decide to go with the digital meter, let me know how it works out. If my frequency gauge goes out, I'm not spending the money on surplus parts for that end of it, I'll go with the e-pay stuff.

That particular meter and transducer has absolutely no affect on the running or operation of the set other than to tell you how fast your motor is going.