• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I Need a Voltmeter Gauge for a CUCV M1009 1985

mcne2026

I am waiting to here from gasser this weekend. I am also getting some other parts from him. If it does not work out, I will PM you, Kevin. Thanks.

Robert...

jawalter

You might be able to fix your voltage gage. The gage is actually a 12V voltage gage. On the back of the gage there are 3 threaded studs. A rectagular ceramic resistor connects two of the threaded studs together. The 300 ohm ceramic resistor is part of a voltage divider circuit that reduces 24V to 12V for the gage. This resistor can burn out an go "open". Remove the resistor from the back of the gage and check its resistance with a digital voltmeter. If it is "open", replace it and the gage will probably work again. You can get a new resistor from www.mouser.com (part number 660-MOS5C301J). This resistor is a different shape than the original. You can leave the old "open" rectangular resistor on the back of the gage and install the new 300 ohm resistor in parallel with it. The old rectangular ceramic resistor will act as an insulator to keep the new resistor leads from touching the metal case of the gage.

Jeff

Blazerraid

Jeff,
Does the ceramic resister power anything other than the gauge ? Does its continuity complete the feild for alternators or give power to anything other than the gauge ? might you know why so much to do about a gauge ?
thanks in advance for your help
regards
Dave

You might be able to fix your voltage gage. The gage is actually a 12V voltage gage. On the back of the gage there are 3 threaded studs. A rectagular ceramic resistor connects two of the threaded studs together. The 300 ohm ceramic resistor is part of a voltage divider circuit that reduces 24V to 12V for the gage. This resistor can burn out an go "open". Remove the resistor from the back of the gage and check its resistance with a digital voltmeter. If it is "open", replace it and the gage will probably work again. You can get a new resistor from www.mouser.com (part number 660-MOS5C301J). This resistor is a different shape than the original. You can leave the old "open" rectangular resistor on the back of the gage and install the new 300 ohm resistor in parallel with it. The old rectangular ceramic resistor will act as an insulator to keep the new resistor leads from touching the metal case of the gage.

Jeff

jawalter

The ceramic resistor is only for the voltage gage. The 300 ohm resistor is one half of a voltage divider circuit. The other half of the voltage divider circuit is the internal resistance of the 12V gage itself (~190 ohms). When 24V is applied to the gage circuit, more than half of the 24 volts is dropped across the ceramic resistor. The remaining voltage is used to move the needle on the 12V gage. It takes ~10.5V to position the needle in the middle of the "green zone" on the gage face. So, if the original ceramic resistor is open, no voltage can get to the gage to move the needle.

Jeff

Jeremiah_Johnson

My Gauge quit working on my 85 M1009 , I tried to install a 12 volt gauge but when switch was turned on gauge would peg out so I removed it . I had read a SS post about replacing the ceramic resistor with a 300ohm resistor from Radio shack $1.27 for a pack of 5 150ohm I soldered two together installed on over the ceramic and reinstated works like a new one..

littlebob

My Gauge quit working on my 85 M1009 , I tried to install a 12 volt gauge but when switch was turned on gauge would peg out so I removed it . I had read a SS post about replacing the ceramic resistor with a 300ohm resistor from Radio shack $1.27 for a pack of 5 150ohm I soldered two together installed on over the ceramic and reinstated works like a new one..
I applaud your ingenuity.

BA232

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Checked my resistor last night and it bad. Shorted the two posts and the needle started moving up so I ordered my resistor. Thanks for the great info!

rizzo

My guage was not working so I figured it was broke. I replaced it with another cucv gauge and it moved the needle and then stopped working. I checked the voltage and it is 29v. both bats are 14.5 or 14.6v.

Is that voltage too high? if so how do I adjust it? (FYI I did get both alternators rebuilt recently.)

I am going to check the resistor now.

rizzo

I read in another thread that 14.5v is ok.

I checked the continuity between the 12v and 24v posts on the back of the gauges and get no reading. open circuit.

I'm guessing because my voltage is a little on the higher side and the resistors are old that is why they blew. ????

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I wonder why they didn't just use a standard 24v M-series gauge instead of a 12v gauge with a resistor?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks