• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I need an alternator.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have had 3 alts burn out on me or come bad from GL. Each one I took to the local rebuilder, and each time it cost $20 to have him look it over, say the regulator is fried, and that he can't get them for those anymore.

Timstrucks had good take offs for $100 or so. I got a 12v and 24v hummer one I'm going to install on the 109 for a seperate 12v system (eventually)

avengeusa

I just ordered a new, non rebuilt 22SI alternator, 24 volt, 70 amp, current production for big trucks, cheap to rebuild, like 40 dollars for all the rebuild parts......

the deuce pulley works on it, it comes with the fan, and is a 1 wire hookup, all you need to run it is to hook the charge wire to the battery terminal on the deuce

the bottom alternator mount may need ever so slight modifications to make it work, but it is almost a direct bolt in

It will be here thursday, and i will post step by step pics of the install........

bottleworks

new regulators can be had, they are pricey, i was just quoted 175 for one, new current manufacturer
I have had 3 alts burn out on me or come bad from GL. Each one I took to the local rebuilder, and each time it cost $20 to have him look it over, say the regulator is fried, and that he can't get them for those anymore.

You guys need to find better rebuilders.

See:
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/7596-need-internal-voltage-regulator.html
For a source for regulators.

avengeusa

I found a company that has the regulators, it is called obsolete parts in cinci ohio

175 each

too much

finding them is not hard, paying for them is

bottleworks

If the place in VA is unhelpful,

you can try Southern Automotive in Pontiac, MI. (248 ) 335-5555

Their P/N is SAW-11808666 If you're looking for the regulator with NSN 2920-01-180-8666

Last edited:

avengeusa

If the place in VA is unhelpful,

you can try Southern Automotive in Pontiac, MI. (248 ) 335-5555

Their P/N is SAW-11808666 If you're looking for the regulator with NSN 2920-01-180-8666

I called them first, they sent me to the place in ohio, the place in Mi near me will sell regulators to me, but want to sell me 30 at a time minimum, I do not get favor with them being a busines either, I was told on this site to get in touch with them, it was mentioned that someone had gotten a regulator from them for 60 dollars or so, but no luck for me there

avengeusa

obsolete parts
Cinci Ohio
513-731-4134

I already have a new unit on the way, I will repair this one for a spare

Michael

I called them first, they sent me to the place in ohio, the place in Mi near me will sell regulators to me, but want to sell me 30 at a time minimum, I do not get favor with them being a busines either, I was told on this site to get in touch with them, it was mentioned that someone had gotten a regulator from them for 60 dollars or so, but no luck for me there
What was the price for 30? We might could do a group buy?

jfccac

I just ordered a new, non rebuilt 22SI alternator, 24 volt, 70 amp, current production for big trucks, cheap to rebuild, like 40 dollars for all the rebuild parts......

the deuce pulley works on it, it comes with the fan, and is a 1 wire hookup, all you need to run it is to hook the charge wire to the battery terminal on the deuce

the bottom alternator mount may need ever so slight modifications to make it work, but it is almost a direct bolt in

It will be here thursday, and i will post step by step pics of the install........

I'm interested in this install...please keep us updated with your progress...

neb4x4

One reman on e-bay right now for .......$$$$........ Check it out @@@@@
ITEM #### 130298724639

I almost bought one the other day, just to have around in case... But.............

tm america

i checked my local rebuilder today he said he had the delco7197 for 160 wasnt to bad. considering i wouldnt have to waiy for shipping he would have it to me in an hour.plus i believe it have the pulley.

avengeusa

OK,

Mine is up and running, there are some changes........

First

the shaft size is wrong, the std deuce alternator has a 5/8 shaft, the alt I used (22SI) has a 7/8, so i bought a pulley......

You MUST use the deuce pulley spacer from the std deuce alternator to get the correct pulley alignment

A large washer could be made to work, or i can make you one if you do not have one

the front mounts are fine, the rear mount is off, the j-mount alternators have a 4 inch spacing between the front and rear mount

The rear housing of the alternator is in a bad spot, you must rotate it counter clockwise to clear the std deuce block mount with the std deuce diameter pulley

If you have a pulley which is aftermarket and smaller than the std unit you will need to completely filp the rear housing of the new alternator, yup, a 180 degree spin

No wiring harness mods are needed

I can bore your pulley for free, you pay shipping, boring the pulley would be the best and cheapest route to go, I will experiment on Mine first

Mine charges at 27.5 volts and puts out 75 amps

I made 2 aluminum brackets from round stock to secure the rear of the alternator and get rid of the flexing action........

I will post pics later today

I can make brackets for you if you need them, there is an arm that will be longer, or shorter depending upon the degrees of rotation/pulley used

the bushing in the rear of the new alternator has to be removed to use my brackets, nice and solid

need any more help call me 734-682-5107, and i can get the alternators at cost

avengeusa

Here are some pictures of the whole thing, simple, easy, and rock solid, I used a more expensive alternator than i had to, why? I have no clue, but the unit has the same mounting as the lester number listed above..... simple j-mount unit

The unit mounted with the longer of the two brackets, you can see both parts i made to make for a very simple install

The unit with the shorter bracket mounted on the bench with the block mount off the truck for test fit purposes

the adaptor part, this replaces the bushing in the rear of the alternator, and is held in place by a 3/8-16 tpi bolt, washer, and lock washer

the adaptor from the from, shows how it is secured

the pulley and spacer used, Note* In future I would use the std pulley and bore it out to 7/8, use the pulley and spacer, and the short bracket

I hope this helps, like i said before i am willing to help others get the parts and alternator if need be

someone tell me how to post pics.....

Last edited: