• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I need an online source for self etching primer and scrungie type sanding medium.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I need to paint a tin can army drab green. It is literally a tin can that held diced tomatoes. I'm repurposing it for my HMMWV tachometer.

I need a self etching primer from a reputable source at a reasonable price. I have the Home Depot green paint already.

I need a sanding scrungie type sponge to roughen up the surface.

Is there a reputable online source?

Does Home Depot or AutoZone carry this stuff?

Thanks,

T

Kbarnes0

I had to read it twice. Thought I read that the HMMWV was full tomatoes. 😂

I've typically prepped with scotchbrite, or the 3M pads from Home Depot.

If it's shinny, might need a start with sandpaper. Maybe 180 grit and the etched primer usually fills sandmarks fairly well.

Ray70

Pretty much any parts store, Auto Zone, Oriley's , NAPA , Advance Auto etc.will have either Duplicolor or some brand of self etching primer.
You can even get the rust Oleum one shown above at Harbor Freight.
Same with the scuff pads, they are everywhere, mostly made by 3M and Scotch ( ie. ScotchBrite pad... )
you can also go with a fine sandpaper too in addition to the scotch brite, stay up in the 280-320 grit range if you aren't planning to put any primer surfacer over the self etching primer.
Also SEM makes a complete line of 2K spray can primer that is both direct-to-metal as well as sandable primer surfacer. most of the others are strictly self etch and require a separate primer surfacer , if doing and finish sanding prior to topcoat.

dependable

This is the commercial grade stuff, it is a two part system, so remember to buy converter too, and have good breathing protection. Comes in quarts and gallons.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks