• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I Need Help on Transportation

McVeyMac

Re: RE: Re: RE: I Need Help on Transportation

Recovry4x4 said:
Dang! I was going to say if it waits until late August I could get it off the property and work with you on getting it running but I won't be up there until Aug 21 or so. Elohim1 has a deuce and is only 50 miles or so away but I don't know if he has a towbar or even available to help. Just curious, what was the estimate in having it towed/trucked?
Ken,

The quote I got with a fully disabled deuce was over $1,700.00. I could nock off about $500.00 if the truck is drivable onto the trailer, and I (or a deligate) was there to drive it onto the trailer.

Walt

derby

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: I Need Help on Transportation

Not to get too far off subject, but I looked at your deuce and as I recall there is no engine oil or anti freeze in it.the site Mgr.told me that all fluids had ben drained from all the trucks. I am assuming the trans, transfer case and axles are empty also.so go prepared( you probably would want to change it anyway so it would not be a waste to buy it)I also seem to remember a plug on the side of the engine where the heater hose connects is missing .at least i think it was that truck(I looked at five that day) I think it had pedal pressure so brakes might be ok.I hope this will help you .buy the way that is a great looking truck !good luck getting her home.

2deuce

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: I Need Help on Transportation

I would check with your DMV, they all have different rules. Oregon doesn't require a CDL for military vehicles and they have a heavy weight trip permit for towing a trailer. It's $21 for $10 days. Maybe your state has something similar. I also have never been checked by the State Police while driving my duece. Good Luck, Greg

Hookin1

When i bought mine not from GL, i took my bill of sale to the license branch in wisconsin and they issued me a 21 day paper temp tag to get it home.also if you have the vin number you will need to get insurance on it and get a copy from your insurance co. showing that it is currently insured...Take what paperwork you have with the vin number on it to a licencse branch in ohio..they will issue you a 21 or 31 day temp tag for that vehicle...but you have to get it from the state you purchase the vehicle in...In indiana all you need is a bill of sale,that shows where and who sold it, how much paid,and vin number......when you apply for a title in indiana,just be very polite because you will have to tell them it is a retired army truck...because as i have found out,they tend to get a little curious when it dos'nt show up in there vin database....

gmayor

I got a transporter tag from Mo to get a truck out of NY to MO. I also got insurance first. I had no problem coming through PA,OH,Il,IN or MO, I did wear an OD looking T-shirt and ball cap. Took two trips to get it road worthy though. I have also used Landstar-Liggin, You have a choice between low boy and drop deck, drop deck is half the price of low boy. I would store it till ready and go for it, depends on how anxious you are, we all know that feeling.

McVeyMac

The GL site manager at Wright Patterson AFB just changed the rules on me. At first he said that I could not do any maint. on the yard, but said that just outside the gate, there was an area I could work on the truck to add fluids etc. and determine road worthiness. Today when I talked with him, he said that there was no way I could do the maint. even outside the yard.

So this A@# H*#$ just changed the rules on me mid stream. Are there any members near Dyaton where I could have the vehicle towed in order to make it road worthy? Ohio DMV will sell me a 30 day temp. tag, so I will be able to drive it home once it is road worthy.

McVeyMac

Ken,

I have the appointment at Wright Patterson AFB at 7:30 AM on August 21st. As the above post states, the site manager will not allow any maint. period. I hope I can find a member near by where I can have it towed. If so, what are the towing procedures, even if I hire a tow truck? Will you have your Deuce with you when you are in OH? I will need a tow bar if I tow it with mine or yours though. Any thoughts?

Walt

derby

McVeyMac,remember if there is no gear lube you wont tow it far.I found not all the fluids had ben drained in the trucks I looked at, but you don't want to take a chance on them being dry.yours could be ok I did not check diffs,trans and transfer case.just engine oil and anti freeze.I found the guy's at that site pretty pleasant.maybee take a box of doughnuts?