• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I need help removing my axle seal

zeisshensoldt

I'm having quite a hard time trying to remove the inner axle seal on the passenger side. The slide hammer doesn't seem to be doing anything at all besides breaking my hand and wrist. Are there any other ways of doing this?

Attachments

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sometimes there are flanges inside the housing, that the seal backs up against. If so, your not trying to pull that out too? Stick your finger in there, and see. There are also (usually) grooves cut into that backup flange for a puller. You might have to rotate the puller. If that doesn't work, find the grooves, stick a hacksaw blade in there & cut the seal to loosen it.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Yank harder. Many members here can explain how. :-D

I use my slide hammer to get them out and it's workout.

deuceman51

1/2 or 3/4 pipe works very well. Like the guys said, you just as well tear down both sides and run the pipe through from the other side. about 3 good hits and it's out. That is how we always do them.

m35a2cowner

Check out a different type of puller if you don't want to take the other side apart.. There should be something that has a threaded bolt that you tighten (look in a catalog and then hit tool rental or auto parts store that rents tools) If I remember correctly I rented one (3 Jaw large slide hammer) from NAPA. I am sure there are other types that will work as well.

Heavysteven

Two options I can think of;
1. Keep hitting it harder.
2. Disassemble the other hub and use a pipe.

Last time I did mine I used a slide hammer on both sides. If i had to do it again I would have disassembled both sides and used a pipe.

Home depot or Lowe's carries a variety of pipe in different materials and sizes.

zeisshensoldt

Both seals have been removed with the fantastic pipe suggestion. Now I'm stuck with trying to remove the driver side steering king pin plate. Hitting it with a 4 pound hammer doesn't even budge it. Does it just pull off the studs or does the steering arm etc. need disassembling first?

Attachments

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
There are tapered/cone washers under the nuts. I have had success buy tapping the sides of the steering arm left and right to wiggle them out. I have heard that others screw the nut onto the stud(to protect the threads) and whack down on the nut to loosen the cone.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks