• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I.P. Hyd. head and fuel shut off question

ah1955

Tried to fire up my Deuce after sitting for about three years with the fuel system drained, dumped about 20 gal. fuel in tank replaced all three filters. The in tank pump runs, and I have fuel all the way to the inlet of the IP, but she wouldn't fire, will fire on ether but as soon as that's gone, nothing.
Did a search here and read up on the fuel shut off lever, pulled cover and the lever is free and the spring pulls it to the 7 o'clock position, that if I read right is the run position.
Pulled the plug out of the center of the HH and there is fuel in there, didn't turn engine over, I'm using loaned batteries, that I didn't have last night.
After this long winded back ground my question is, if there is fuel in the top of the HH then can I assume that the fuel shut off is allowing fuel in to the IP with out pulling the shaft out. and when I turn the engine over and the shaft in the HH does not go up and down has anyone been able to free it up by tapping and using any kind of solvent?

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
From your description, it sounds like the button on the bottom of the hydraulic head has fallen off. (like Phil said)

ah1955

Have read several post on the subject, and it does sound like it, but I thought I'd ask. The thing that I don't get is this truck always started right up and ran like a champ, drained the fuel out, knew was going to be parked for awhile. then it won't start. Could see if it quit while running that something fell off, but ran right up till I shut it off then it falls apart.
If I pull the head are the o-rings the only parts I would need to put back together?

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
When you pull the head, you will need to pull the fuel shut off rod out before hand, so the head can be lifted up. There is a "wedge" in the tip of the fuel shut off rod, be careful not to lose that! There is 2 O rings on the Hyd Head and one that the fuel shut off rod goes through, thats a #12.

Post pics once you get in there.

Edit, if the button fell off the bottom, you might need a button retainer, they have a habit of breaking. Let me know.

ah1955

Hopefully I will be doing it this weekend,don't want to leave it apart too long, that's why I'd like to be prepared to go back together.
I read about this wedge coming off the pin on the end of the fuel shut off rod and being careful, just not sure where it can go. I mean does it drop off somewhere that it can not be retreived?

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Usually on the ground, never to be seen again. If working on grass or gravel, put down a tarp.

phil2968

... Could see if it quit while running that something fell off, but ran right up till I shut it off then it falls apart...
I installed a NOS head for member Alanb. We unwrapped the the head and the button and retainer were laying in the paper! There does not seem to be a pattern to them falling off.

ah1955

Up date, Pulled fuel shut off shaft out Thur. after work, got a co-worker to watch the mark while I turned the jackshaft. worked out well, now all set to pull the Hyd. head by my self on Sat.
Now the bad news, the fuel shutoff shaft has a brownish coating on it, don't think it is pitted, hope I can clean it up with solvent and maybe polish it up with fine steel wool. Just hope that the inside of the hyd. head does not look any worse. Will find out tomorrow.

ah1955

Figured that on my way down to the shop I would stop at AutoZone and pick up a can of carb. cleaner, have atf and other oils at work. Figure I have plenty of time tomorrow to clean up parts.

ah1955

Today was a good day, pulled Hyd. Head, found that the clip just came off and the button fell off. Clip was not broken or twisted, snapped back on and seemed to have all three prongs clipped on.
Had two out of the six injector lines fight me, had to work them back and forth, spray them, work back and forth, took sometime but worth it, didn't twist or kink them.
Took a couple tries to get it back in with the red gear lined up, but I got it.
One shot of ether and she fired, left it run for a while shut it down, restarted right up on its own after that.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks