• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I painted my CUCV yesterday. (pics)

Bettendorf

I had to cover up the old camo CARC paint. I rented a painting bay at the local Autocraft place on Ft. Carson for $30 and I had to pay $22 for some cleaner to clean their gun after i used it. That price also includes the use of their paint gun. I ordered 2 gallons of Tan CARC substitute from RAPCO for something like $90 shipped. I only coated it twice before I ran out of time but I think it looks very good. I also only used about 9/10ths the 1st gallon so I have enough to do it again, if I need to. I'm very happy with how it looks.

Quick back story. I paided $1,850 for this 1986 CUCV at Ft. Carson back in Dec. 2008.

REGULATOR

It looks a heck of a lot better then some of the ones we've both probably seen come from the paintshop at work!!

I'm just jealous, cause mine has nice freshly painted rims and a crappy faded camo paintjob!! ( soon to be fixed!)

wish you were closer, I'd buy you some beer and have you spray mine!

funny thing was when I first got mine, I instinctively sprayed the rims, tire tool and jack with fresh black paint.. and then layed out and sprayed all my shackels.

flashback to motorpool pre inspection days I guess

Bettendorf

flashback to motorpool pre inspection days I guess
Here's a funny story about the MOPO. So we borrowed a couple M114 hummers from a sister company, take them to the field, and hosed the mud off when we were done. The dirt just would not come off the tire side walls. So, this buck SGT and myself got some black spray paint and start spaying down the wheels. Wouldn't you know it, the sister company 1SG comes by the inspect his trucks and catches us right in the act. I guess he didn't have much of problem with it, luckily. I thought we were thru.

zyrtecx

Good Job! Looks really Good... Need and inverted V and both doors now! Just and idea... I have a tan 86 CUCV that has the inverted V and both doors, it is an eye catcher...

NMC_EXP

Bettendorf:

1. Vehicle looks great.

2. Bettendorf as in Iowa/Quad Cities?

3. I recognize the park where you took the photos - on the slope of Cheyenne Mtn just outside Ft Carson. I hang around Canon City CO as much as possible. Plan to be there in a couple of weeks in my M1009 if I can chase all of the gremlins out of it by then.

Regards

Jim

Bettendorf

Bettendorf:

1. Vehicle looks great.

2. Bettendorf as in Iowa/Quad Cities?

3. I recognize the park where you took the photos - on the slope of Cheyenne Mtn just outside Ft Carson. I hang around Canon City CO as much as possible. Plan to be there in a couple of weeks in my M1009 if I can chase all of the gremlins out of it by then.

Regards

Jim
1. Thanks!
2. Yep. Bettendorf as in the QC. I lived there before I joined the Army in 1999.
3. Yep. I live within eye sight of the park. Maybe 200 meters, straight line distance. I'd invite you to dinner and a chat but I'm heading out of state next week for a couple of weeks. I'll be back by the end of the month just in time to receive the in-laws from Germany.

When are you going to be here?

Regarding your avatar, I prefer a line-of-white.

Jonah

NMC_EXP

Jonah

I live in a little town 90 miles southeast of the Quad Cities. Spent a few nights in Quarters #1 at Rock Island Arsenal when my brother was commander there.

I was planning to arrive in Canon City mid May and depart in the 1st week of June. However I may have to push my departure out a few days due to circumstances here.

I'd like to link up if it can be arranged. I'll send a PM with phone # and email. We own a place in Canon City and plan to retire there. We usually come out to CO three times per year so if we can't get it done this time, there will be other chances.

When I could see two flies fornicating at 400 yards I preferred a 6 oclock. Had to go to a line of white when I turned 40. Now I'd settle for seeing the front post period.

The avatar is a reminder of the good ole days.

Regards

Jim

CutBeef

Painting 2 Blazers...Need paint!

Hey . I need some help with paint. This is my second blazer ive owned and i would like to paint it this month sometime. The place where i picked up my paint is no longer and im thinking about ordering online. What is the best for the money? I just saw a post with a blazer getting some Rapco carc paint. Any good? Durable? Last time i went with a sherwin williams juniper green and sprayed it chunky flat. It was pretty close to 383 green.
Also. Im building 2 jerry can holders for the rear of our blazers. I will post pics when done! We seem to be starting a club here in west michigan. Everybody wants one!
( Yes, that is a Caprice 9c1 crown vic killer behind my old blazer in my pic ! )

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks