• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I put Bio in my CUCV!

Croatan_Kid

Filled 'er up with some homebrew today! Smells like somebody is grilling something in the back of my truck all the time....strange, I thought it would smell like fried stuff :roll:

The motor quited right down a good deal and I may have to change the fuel filter again, but other than that, no changes. Right now it's 50/50 and for 2 bucks a gallon, it might be 25/75! I don't want to run it straight homebrew though.

Croatan_Kid

Don't really have much for details, the guy just offered me some a while back and I was actually gunna call him yesterday, but since he came to the shop it worked out just fine.

I think he said he filters WVO quite a bit, heats it, settles it, and then mixes in some injector cleaner, a little bit of #2 and some other stuff. It's sorta turns out looking like rusty sweet tea.

I do have to go get another filter, I was gunna do it after work but it was late.

(did somebody change the title or am I actually going crazy?)

bottleworks

Croatan_Kid said:
I think he said he filters WVO quite a bit, heats it, settles it, and then mixes in some injector cleaner, a little bit of #2 and some other stuff.
Hmm, I would be worried if that is how he is making his "biodiesel". Based off of your description, that is not biodiesel in your tank.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
More like filtered WVO, but nothing wrong with that.

Put a sample in the fridge or freezer and see how it behaves when it gets cold. In the Winter with colder temps, you'll have trouble startiing it with this mix.

Mike_Pop

I ran a 50/50 mix of home brew bio in my M1009 without a single problem...until it got cold outside. It gums up the filters very quickly.

Alredneck

Banned
How do you find local co-ops or folks that brew there owns stuff and sell it, I would be interested in a source down here in florida, they got commercial bio but its almost the same price as #2

rottiedog

hey,

Where did you get yours? I brew my WVO the same way. Seems to work pretty good and I did test many different ratios and 50/50 seems to work GREAT!! Lots fo people at cherry point running waste veggie.....

Mike

Croatan_Kid

A guy that comes into the shop got to talkin to me about it one day and offered me some, so I took him up on it last time he was there.

I've got his name and number. I'm sure he'd talk to you about making it and his process if that's what you're interested in. I think his name is Jeb and he drives a white 93 1-ton Dodge 5.9/5spd. Pretty cool truck!

Oh....it seems to be running just fine, everybody loves the way it smells too! I won't run it when it's cold, cold, but now in the summertime when I'm driving it alot it'll work just fine! I ran the local Newport mudbog tonight and I think I heard soomebody say something about french fries over the loud speaker :lol:

rottiedog

my latest 50/50 mix is not doing too well. I must not have dewatered enough. It did look a little cloudy. Hard starts but still running good. Going to start collection parts for a two tank system. Going to run a 5 gallon deisel tank and use the stock tank for the veggie. THe only issue I have had is with starting. Once I am up and running, no issues with power. Two tank system should take care of the starting and warming up. My plan is to find a switch and solenoid from an old dual tank 'burban and use those parts.

My confusion right now is with the fuel return line. How do I keep that from cross contaminating the other tank.......

On pain killers right now so brain is a little foggy.....

Croatan_Kid

I noticed that mine is harder to start as well, but no power loss either. For as cheap as it is, I can handle it though.

I know another guy that has a real processor and makes actual biodiesel like the guy that was on Dirty Jobs. The stuff I'm running right now doesn't have the glycerin separated from it, but it runs fine.

rottiedog

Yeah, bio is the way to go and the couple thousand that it would cost to get set up would get payed back pretty quick the the price for fuel.

I am going to be out of work for a couple months due to back surgery. While I am sitting around, I will be working on gathering parts for lots of projects that will most likely never get finished. Might try to get one of the M880s to run on propane while I am at it...

M1009 is going to extreame Off road down there in Havelock for some Dana 60s and 4:10s. Should be fun after that!!

rottiedog

CCATLETT1984 said:
its way cheaper than several thousand, I have a complete processor setup for under 400.
If you got the time, can you send me a note with a rough outline on what you have? I already have a water heater and lots of barrels. I'd like to get a 40 to 60 gallon barrel with the cone shaped bottom. Still need a 200 plus gallon storage container so I can stop using all these 55 gallon barrels.

I was quoting the prices of the ready made kits. We have a local guy on craigs list selling complete setups for $2400.

rottiedog

I did

I had to replace a few of the lines and the fuel pump but I don't think it was for the same reason. The bio will eat the rubber but on mine it happened so fast that I think it was because the veggie oil cleaned the system so well that it actually uncovered leaks that were there already. Need to replace the rest of the lines soon but nothing leaking right now....

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks