• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I suck at the TMs... Need some guidance on removing starter and broken bolt

iacucv

So I got the remaining bolt out for my starter, is it easier to remove the flex plate cover, drop the front driveshaft, or what to get the starter out of the way to try to drill the broken bolt out?

Also, its broken off pretty deep in the block. I can tell its gonna be a real PITA. Wish me luck on that....

wayne pick

Remove both the cover and driveshaft, this will give you plenty of room to work. There will more than likely be a ridge on the bolt where it twisted off. A small punch can be used to tap the bolt out counter clockwise. If that fails, use a left handed drill, You might get lucky and back it out that way. Lastly, drill a hole in the bolt and use an extractor. Try not to snap the extractor off, been there-done that, A huge PITA, Good luck!

dependable

Using a reverse(left hand) drill first often works and saves a lot of grief. Remember to tape up front u joint caps and tie the shaft out of the way, hate it when it comes down and hits on the head.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Never seen the broken starter bolts covered in the TMs. More a seat of your pants repair.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
You may think you suck at the TM's but you're doing quite well as a mechanic. I on the other hand would have done only what was in the TM and then when the bolt broke, hauling it over to a real mechanic to drill the thing out. I suck at being a mechanic but I'm above average on the TMs.

iacucv

Carnac, its not done yet lol. Thanks fellas, i could just pull everything and make it work, but its not time sensitive so I figud I'd check with you guys that have done it before. Hopefully make it as easy as possible.

iacucv

Well due to all your guys help, I still managed to screw it up. Broke a brand new sears craftsman e z out off in the block. I think I can weasel it out with a needle nose pliers, but got frustrated and quit for the day. We will see how it goes when the rain quits.

wayne pick

Once you get the broken extractor out, you may have to re drill the bolt all the way through using a bigger drill and extractor. If the bolt is that tight, a left hand drill probably won't help much. You may eventually have to drill out the bolt completely and Heli-Coil it. I did both starter bolt holes on my M1009 starter last week. DO NOT snap the drill bit, it's hardened and will be almost impossible to drill out. Go slow with light pressure when drilling and use WD-40 or PB Blaster as cutting oil.

Triple C

Here's a tip to help you keep your drill bit lined up on the broken bolt. Cut a section of the broken bolt (a part without any threads) about an inch long. Drill through the center of the bolt section with the same size bit you are going to use on the motor. Place that on the drill bit with about 1/4 inch of the bit protruding through the spacer. You now have a spacer to keep your drill bit centered on the broken bolt when you put the drill bit in the bolt hole. That keeps the drill bit from wandering off the bolt and into your bell housing or block. I agree with the group, use a left twist drill bit. I have walked a couple out that way without even having to use the easy outs. Good luck!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks