• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I think I got lucky buying a Mep803A form auction!

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If I were to remove the genny from the trailer, what would be a fair ask price to sell the trailer?
If you have room, I would hold onto it for a bit. You might find a need for it later.
Those are very strong and versatile trailers and very well built.
Surge brakes are great when properly maintained.
Prices are creeping up and availability going down.
You could always sell the HMMWV wheels/tires and install CUCV rims and still come out money ahead.

Compare a similar civilian trailer to it and you will be shocked at the price.
Would be a shame to sell it right away, only to realize you could’ve used it later.
Whatever you sell it for, it will cost more to reacquire another one.

You can always sell it later, but I wouldn’t rush to do it now.

stugpanzer

Does anybody remember the $100 hammers and the $600 toilet seats and the $3000 coffee makers that the government was paying for back in the 80's? Well right after I got my MEP home, I reached out to a company that distributes parts for the MEP's and asked for a quote for the exhaust flap. I just received the quote and am grateful that I decided to go with a $6 flap from my local Rural King store as the quote I received for a new flap is $465!

Last edited:

stugpanzer

And you didnt even try to turn it over?
First AGM battery is charged, second one on the charger. I couldn't resist to turn her over and she wants to go so after the second battery is on I will be off for some fuel and to fill the radiator and give her a try!

I did get the all important 'Quad Winding' fix in:
20171130_112721.jpg

Guyfang

Staff member
Does anybody remember the $100 hammers and the $600 toilet seats and the $3000 coffee makers that the government was paying for back in the 80's? Well right after I got my MEP home, I reached out to a company that distributes parts for the MEP's and asked for a quote for the exhaust flap. I just received the quote and am grateful that I decided to go with a $6 flap from my local Rural King store as the quote I received for a new flap is $465!

Had to be a typo. No sane person could make that quote, and still look at himself in the mirror every morning. You should post the name of the company, and we ALL write them a mail. We could offer to help raise money for their collective mental evaluation.

stugpanzer

Had to be a typo. No sane person could make that quote, and still look at himself in the mirror every morning. You should post the name of the company, and we ALL write them a mail. We could offer to help raise money for their collective mental evaluation.
Excerpt from the actual quote sent to me:
Quote.jpg

Is it OK for me to post the company?

stugpanzer

Regarding my exhaust. What they (The National Guard Guys) did was put steel plumbing for the exhaust which is fine as it is angled down. The issue I am having now is it is so rusted on there that even after doing some penetrating oil on I can't get it off. Now granted I am not giving it my all because I don't want to mess up the muffler so it seems I might be leaving the exhaust plumbed the way I got it. I might go get some high temp black paint for aesthetics!
Exhaust.jpg

Zed254

The NSN vendors I have asked for quotes from are all like that. The excuse they give is 'we usually deal with larger quantities'. The grease seal retainer I had a couple vendors quote last month came in at $125 and $425: for 1 unit. I plan to buy a whole second corrosion cart to get the retainer I need.

TrailLifeBill

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have one of those too (a wife that is) who thinks I have lost my mind in buying this. It's the usual conversation.......What do you 'need' that for and I always have to explain there is a difference between 'needing' and 'wanting'!
Welcome to the group!! I also had to deal with a little flak from the Missus - until Hurricane Irma arrived to south Georgia. When everyone else was without power, my sweet Genny had us with full lights, A/C, hot showers, internet, and TV - during the worst of the storm. After it was over, Momma was the first to say how much she loved Genny! Just wait for the next ice storm to hit, and she'll come around.

Guyfang

Staff member
Yep, ok I just found it and now it looks much better!

View attachment 710534
Not going to say a word about the wiring. I would have done the same.

BUT, yes there is a but. I will say you havent studied the book enough yet. I am a nag, I know. But its your best friend.

Now a quick load test. Nothing big, just enough to see if the gages work. Then you need to do the fine work. It looks clean, sounds good. I think you got a runner!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks