• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I think I want one of these FMTV

spankybear

Hello there! First time posting to this forum. I hope I don't sound too strange or if I have missed something when I ask questions about the FMTVs. I think I may want to get me one of these things and have just starting to read about them. Is there a good place to start and find out what too look for one these? You know like common problems or if buying one what are the common things missing that are hard to find. Right now I am leaning towards a 5 ton but would consider a 2.5 ton.

Anyway thanks in advance.

DanM7890

Welcome to the forum!

I would start reading as much as you can. The common problems will show their face in just the threads created. Another good thing to do is read other peoples builds when they go to buy them, then pick them up, and finally start working on them. You will see a lot of the same things over and over again but that's the best way to learn them before you click that BID button.

Sapphire

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi and welcome to the addiction, um, er ... forum!

A couple of quick thoughts on your post:

1) The 5 ton FMTVs are much harder to find. A quick scan of a popular auction site for surplus trucks shows nineteen LMTVs (2.5 ton 2 axle) and zero FMTVs (5 ton 3 axle) vehicles for sale. If you want to know the name of the auction site, please PM me. Forum rules prevent me from discussing specific sites or listings.

2) Try, if at all possible, to inspect any vehicle in person before you bid. This forum is full of tales of folks buying a truck only to find that it's in much worse shape than indicated in the listing. Transmissions, in particular, are really expensive to replace.

3) Unless you already work on heavy trucks, be prepared to buy a fair amount of tools.

4) Do not plan to drive your purchase home or, if you do, be prepared for many unforeseen situations and have the financial resources to hire a big wrecker. Some forum members maybe willing to help, too. Look for threads with "recovery" in the subject line to read of others experiences.

5) The complete set of TMs is available here: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?118919-M1078-TM-s

Hope this all helps!

scottmandu

Hello there! First time posting to this forum. I hope I don't sound too strange or if I have missed something when I ask questions about the FMTVs. I think I may want to get me one of these things and have just starting to read about them. Is there a good place to start and find out what too look for one these? You know like common problems or if buying one what are the common things missing that are hard to find. Right now I am leaning towards a 5 ton but would consider a 2.5 ton.
I have a 2005 M1084A1 and a 2003 M1078A1 on the market.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No rules against mentioning auction sites just don't post any information regarding current or future auctions.

GovPlanet is the main government auction site and then eBay often has items as well. With both of those you're taking a risk on condition and running ability. I would recommend buying from an individual, scottmandu for example, where you have some confidence that you'll be told how the item is and what condition it is in.

I purchased my truck from GovPlanet in non-running condition and got a good deal. It did require a fair amount of work and I was lucky to have friends who could handle things beyond my own capabilities. Having said that, I just located a running, driving, titled truck on a used car lot locally that is about what I have in mine. Mines in better condition and has some upgrades I installed but if I hadn't already had it I probably would have snatched that one up.

Here's a link to my truck thread (WARNING: it's a looooong thread): http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?152882-Working-on-the-M1078-LMTV

spankybear

1) The 5 ton FMTVs are much harder to find. A quick scan of a popular auction site for surplus trucks shows nineteen LMTVs (2.5 ton 2 axle) and zero FMTVs (5 ton 3 axle) vehicles for sale. If you want to know the name of the auction site, please PM me. Forum rules prevent me from discussing specific sites or listings.

2) Try, if at all possible, to inspect any vehicle in person before you bid. This forum is full of tales of folks buying a truck only to find that it's in much worse shape than indicated in the listing. Transmissions, in particular, are really expensive to replace.

3) Unless you already work on heavy trucks, be prepared to buy a fair amount of tools.

4) Do not plan to drive your purchase home or, if you do, be prepared for many unforeseen situations and have the financial resources to hire a big wrecker. Some forum members maybe willing to help, too. Look for threads with "recovery" in the subject line to read of others experiences.

5) The complete set of TMs is available here: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?118919-M1078-TM-s

Hope this all helps!
Thank you for the link to the TMs... Even more stuff to read... I have a question... is the running gear/chassis the same between the 2.5 - 5 ton? I know there's another axe and all but are parts interchangeable? Also want to know how close the TMs are.

About the only place I can inspect DRMO wise is in Washington State. I see that have had them in the past (2.5 ton) but, yes, the 5 ton isn't easy to find.

I know about buying stuff sight unseen... I know the military likes to use the DRMO as their own salvage yard. I bought one CUCV that they took every fuse and dash light... And years passed before I saw any M1009s with front seats :)

Tools are not a problem... have plenty. Just don't have any really big stuff (well unless you count really big hammers:)

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial

]
https://cse.google.com/cse?cx=partn...rchid=5578032#gsc.tab=0&gsc.q=LMTV&gsc.page=1

spankybear

I have a 2005 M1084A1 and a 2003 M1078A1 on the market.
Haven't got to the rules of this place... So I guess i'll IM you about price and all a bit later. The M1084 have the crane? and if I read right the A1 has the electronic engine? C7 is it?

spankybear

No rules against mentioning auction sites just don't post any information regarding current or future auctions.

GovPlanet is the main government auction site and then eBay often has items as well. With both of those you're taking a risk on condition and running ability. I would recommend buying from an individual, scottmandu for example, where you have some confidence that you'll be told how the item is and what condition it is in.

I purchased my truck from GovPlanet in non-running condition and got a good deal. It did require a fair amount of work and I was lucky to have friends who could handle things beyond my own capabilities. Having said that, I just located a running, driving, titled truck on a used car lot locally that is about what I have in mine. Mines in better condition and has some upgrades I installed but if I hadn't already had it I probably would have snatched that one up.

Here's a link to my truck thread (WARNING: it's a looooong thread): http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?152882-Working-on-the-M1078-LMTV
Govplanet is something new to me... and I am sure they are another contractor and all... Did you have your MTV shipped or did you pick it up yourself? I see a few out of my AO and was wondering how well shipping works. What about their inspection report? Would you call it fair?

spankybear

Tburk why do trucks up there go for a premium? Does the logging industry use them?
I believe that it's because all of the smaller cities/counties and Indian tribes use the DRMO heavily and simple supply and demand. I always thought stuff out of Fort Lewis went for a higher price given the condition compared to places like Yermo/Barstow or Hill.

snowtrac nome

I think it is because there is more income there. also as stated looking at the Washington trucks they seem to have less miles on them than trucks at ntc or over on the east coast. another thing to consider might be they are finding their way to Alaska where they are in high demand. and seattle is where every thing coming to Alaska boards the boat.

Shark Bait

Hope this all helps!
For assisting in a search for vehicles, FMTV is Family Medium Tactical Vehicles in which it incapsulates both 2.5 ton and 5 ton trucks. MTV is Medium Tactical Vehicle which is the 5 ton, dual rear axle truck. LMTV is Light Medium Tactical Vehicle which is the 2.5 ton, single rear axle truck.

Dave

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks