• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I think Ii have a problem with my glow plugs - Lots of white smoke & wont start

darkostoj

I have a 93 M998 and it just got cold here in Detroit and it won't start.

No matter how many times I cycle the the switch to the "ON" position and cycle the glow plugs it won't fire, but it pumps out a ton of white smoke from the exhaust.

The WAIT light will come on for about 5-10 seconds then turn off.

Any ideas on where to start?

Thanks!

papakb

Just watch your voltmeter and see if it dips when the wait light is on. If it doesn't it's time for some new glow plugs.

MarkM

CODE BROWN...It's all going to sh~t !
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had to change out the temp sensor in the block. When cold the injection pump advances the timing for the injectors. Mine starts fine now and the sensor was like 35 bucks and easy to change.

Mark

snowtrac nome

glow plugs should cycle about 15 seconds sounds like you have a few bad ones. change them all out before you swell up the remaining good ones you have.

papakb

Mark, be careful with your terminology.

The sensor in the right rear of the block is called the "cold advance sensor" and advanced the IP when the block is cold. You can test it when the block is cold by disconnecting it. You should hear the advance solenoid in the top of the injector pump click.

The sensor tucked in behind the alternator on the left front of the engine is the "temp sensor" and is only for the instrument panel temp gauge.

The 3rd sensor is the one on the water crossover manifold on the top of the engine and it's for the control box. Depending on your control box it's either a "glow plug controller" or a "temp sensor controller".

Last edited:

snowtrac nome

I remember a ps article back when they were having control box issues, where ps wanted operators to count off 15 seconds, if the wait light stayed on longer than maintenance was supposed to replace the box. Now things may have changed with the latest boxes since I retired there for a while the Humvee series was going through different boxes pretty regularly I remember seeing 3 different types when I was in Iraq.

jackson76550

while we are being careful, you will hear the pump click regardless of what you do with the cold advance switch located on the rear of the passenger side head. the injection pump solenoid clicks.

Mark, be careful with your terminology.

The sensor in the right rear of the block is called the "cold advance sensor" and advanced the IP when the block is cold. You can test it when the block is cold by disconnecting it. You should hear the advance solenoid in the top of the injector pump click.

The sensor tucked in behind the alternator on the left front of the engine is the "temp sensor" and is only for the instrument panel temp gauge.

The 3rd sensor is the one on the water crossover manifold on the top of the engine and it's for the control box. Depending on your control box it's either a "glow plug controller" or a "temp sensor controller".

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks