• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I think its an mep813

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I got ahold of a 10kw 400hz genset with the acoustic suppression kit. I have also secured a 60hz gen head to swap on. Now I need to know if the 400hz head is good for anything other than scrap. Would an airport find it useful? Also, I think I might just sell the ASK kit, what would a fair price be? Wish me luck, I will be converting this to 60hz soon.

Edit, looks like this is an mep112a.

Last edited:

Wrench Wench

I've often wondered if a good use for 400Hz genheads might be sticking a set of wind turbine blades on it and sticking it way up on a pole. (With proper braking and governing, of course.) The power coming from the genhead wouldn't be 400Hz, but it wouldn't be 60Hz either. Just rectify it, whatever it is, and then if it's more than the pack voltage of a battery bank, use it to charge the batteries. If not, meh. It was a trash item otherwise anyway.

Gotta go read an article in Circuit Cellar to get an idea about how DC-DC converters actually work.

DieselBob

I got ahold of a 10kw 400hz genset with the acoustic suppression kit. I have also secured a 60hz gen head to swap on. Now I need to know if the 400hz head is good for anything other than scrap. Would an airport find it useful? Also, I think I might just sell the ASK kit, what would a fair price be? Wish me luck, I will be converting this to 60hz soon.

Edit, looks like this is an mep112a.
You will also need the VR and the bridge rectifier assembly from the 60Hz unit, they are different.

gimpyrobb

DB, I have rounded up those parts too but thanks for the heads-up. I just wanted to make sure nobody had a use for this stupid 400hz gen head before I sent it to china. I'll try to post some pics soon.

Wrench Wench

I wasn't delusional. I was not implying that a DC-DC converter would act as a motor-generator. I was thinking more in terms of a Maximum Power Point Tracker to level out the VAs coming from the wind-driven 400Hz genhead, rectified before applying even charging voltage with variable current to the battery bank.

gimpyrobb

I wasn't delusional. I was not implying that a DC-DC converter would act as a motor-generator. I was thinking more in terms of a Maximum Power Point Tracker to level out the VAs coming from the wind-driven 400Hz genhead, rectified before applying even charging voltage with variable current to the battery bank.
Not calling you delusional! I have NO PROBLEM reading up on stuff I know nothing about. Whatever you just posted might as well be Swahili for all I know.

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You will also need the VR and the bridge rectifier assembly from the 60Hz unit, they are different.

Bob,

You are correct, the VR and Bridge board are different. But so are a lot of other components. Pretty much all of the gauges are different, the CT/CVT assembly is different, the main 3 phase breaker and almost every component inside of the output box is different.

Like the gimpy one said though, we have all of that stuff to change it over for him. A complete working control panel from a 60 Hz machine, a complete output box from a 60 Hz unit and the 60 Hz gen head About the only thing that will need done is for the governor to be re-adjusted to the slower speed ranges of the 60 Hz sets.

DieselBob

I kind of figured that even more items where different but those I knew for sure without having to check and he had only mentioned the gen head. Are the harness connectors plug and play between the 2 units ?

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
yeah, the main wiring harness going to the fuel pumps, started, safety switches and the like are all the DC side, so they are the same connectors (the DC side shouldn't care between 60 and 400 Hz). Since the connectors for the generator head go to the output box, they will be correct since they are going to a 60 Hz box.