• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I think its the Force Washer

swhpaz

I'm swapping out the left front axle seal on a M109. I have every thing out of the axle except the bad inner seal. I can see it except for a large silver ring in front of it, keeping me from pulling it out. I'm new the MV's and I'm certainly new to this kind of mechanics, so please bare with me.

Am I looking at the force washer? When I pulled the axle shaft out there was a plastic or teflon coated washer right up against the knuckle. I originally thought that may have been the force washer. But I have update my pitiful mechanical intuition and believe my force washer is still inside the axle.

My next question is, how do I get that stupid thing out???

Thanks to all!!!!

Chris..

2Deuces wild

You need a large rear wheel bearing puller and slide hammer, install it behind the seal housing and pull hard. The silver retainer will pop out. make sure to silicon the new seal and the housing around the seal retainer ring and make sure the flat side side of the seal is facing outward. Drive the whole unit back into the axle housing. The thrust washer should be on the shaft. Pack the knuckle with grease and the thrust washer. Grease the new seal too i found out the hard way and it leaked. Seal the hub with sikicon too. Change the oil in the diff if its contaminated. Follow the TM for the tork info. Good luck

Attachments

Last edited:

swhpaz

Axle Seal

Ok, the wheel bearing puller I figure I can get fron the auto parts store, where do I get a slide hammer from? What is RTV? What's the best way to get all that back in?

And THANKS for the info!!! Its the last major repair I have to my 109 and then I can dive it all the time...

Chris..

You need a large rear wheel bearing puller and slide hammer, install it behind the seal housing and pull hard. The silver retainer will pop out. make sure to RTV the new seal and the housing around the seal retainer ring and make sure the flat side side of the seal is facing outward. Drive the whole unit back into the axle housing. The thrust washer should be on the shaft. Pack the knuckle with grease and the thrust washer. Grease the new seal too i found out the hard way and it leaked. Seal the hub with RTV too. Change the oil in the diff if its contaminated. Follow the TM for the tork info. Good luck

2Deuces wild

Oh My Bad RTV silicon. Harbor freight has both pullers. I used the 3 1/2 socket to start it in then a flat end punch around the edge until it was seated.

Last edited:

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I do not see any safety stands in the photos above, do my eyes deceive me?

Jake0147

You can avoid the pullers if you wish to. Remove both axle shafts, and use a piece of black pipe to drive the seal holders out from the opposite side.

I don't see a jack stand either, but it looks like one of my "shortcuts" that I picked up from a couple of local truck garages. (They say that OSHA is good with this BTW) If you block a bottle jack to just barely fit (with sound cribbing...), you can remove the wheel and then lower the jack to it's fully lowered position, at which point it is as stout as any commercial jack stand you are going to purchase.

Not as broad of a base as a jack stand for sure, but with common sense it's a lot safer than a lot of other improvised stands I've seen.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks