• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I think my dog has fleas

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Anyone have a home remedy for fleas?

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
LOL, I only posted this to bust on Clinto a bit.

I do use Advantix!

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Never work, this dog is gun shy.

Blood_of_Tyrants

I have found that this year has been really bad for fleas and none of the normal means worked. Baths, powders, sprays, and even the drops on the back like Advantix; none of them worked.

Finally I heard of a medicine called Comfortis from someone. It is an oral medication and starts killing fleas within 30 minutes. Within 4 hours they are all dead. It really works! My daughters poodle was scratching himself bald and his skin was getting infected from the irritation. But the Comfortis did the trick and he hasn't had a flea in over 2 months,

Oh, the medicine lasts about a month and you can get the first dose from a pet supply store, but the additional dosages will require a prescription.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
:oops: yeah, that's what I meant...

ranchhopper

Ticks were really bad here this year two of my brittanies tested positive for lyme disease I had to get all three vaccinated this year.Its surprising the ticks were the big dog ticks and not the small deer ticks that usually carry lyme disease.

wb1895

Food or garden grade Diatomaceous Earth. Do not buy pool grade as it contains chemicals harmful to animals.

It is completely non toxic and is also used in spices to keep them from clumping. Sprinkle areas where the dog frequents ( doesn't take much!! ). I use a powdered sugar sifter. You can sprinkle it on the dog as well, kinda like a flea powder. I sprinkle it in the carpets, under furniture, outside.

Try to keep from inhaling the powder and keep it out of the eyes, nose and ears ( yours and the dog's) It will not hurt anything for the dog to eat it, but I don't recommend feeding the dog large quantities :)

The principle behind the DE is the particulate is smaller then the crevices in the insects' exoskeleton. It basically dries the little buggers up from the inside out.

Last time I checked, you can get it in basically any hardware store. I know how hard it is for you guys, but you might have to ask for help finding it ;)

Melissa ( Walter's better half )

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My basement was infested with fleas out in Maryland. Tried everything. One day I saw a guy catching hornets with bacon drippings...hmmm...crazy idea came to mind.:idea: I kept the dogs out of the basement, bought a bunch of disposable pizza pans and put a layer of vegetable oil in them. The bouncing little b&^t#$Ds bounced right in and couldn't get out. They died by the dozens. After about a month...no more fleas. I kept a pan or two under a bench just in case but never had another problem with them.:D:D:D

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks