• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I thought I was DEQ (SMOG CHECK) exempt in Oregon?

edpdx

My renewal came from DMV. It says I need a DEQ Certificate of Compliance. Whoa... I thought that there was some code in the VIN that keyed them to recognize my CUCV as exempt?

Anyone that can shed some light... especially Oregonians.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Kasakstan... :whistle:

edpdx

Good call. I ALMOST forgot about that decal. I can see the bureaucrats at DMV shaking their head now... "No!"

Keith_J

Doesn't this cover it?

The state bureaucrats will only dredge up that CFR and find an exemption to civilian ownership of said vehicle :cookoo:.

Then they will claim since it isn't a heavy-duty vehicle, it must conform to the year model and chassis, forcing you to install the EGR system. Which will cause MORE soot emissions all to reduce a little NOx.

The anti-diesel crowd in most areas objects to soot, technically termed particulate emissions (PM, particulate matter). NOx is an issue in areas that have VOCs and geographic inversions that trap these pollutants, causing smog to concentrate.

TVOLLMER

I didn't have to go through DEQ with my M1008. But I think the it is because my gross weight is over 7500 lbs. In Oregon, I think it goes my weight.

edpdx

Sorry; but all vehicles built since 1975 have to be smogged in the greater Portland area. I was able to get an exemption though. The guy at DMV ok'd it. :driver:

kurtkds

It's Multinoma county I.E. Portland that is the biggest for emmissions. I used to live south of town in the country, but becasue I was in the county i had to get emmissions done. One time I went for an inspection and the tech was literally trying to rip the emmisson equipment off of the engine so he could fail me!!

If i had live 5 miles south i would have been in a different county that didn't have emmisions.aua

2deuce

If you have a M1009 you will need to DEQ it where any other car needs to be DEQed ie, portland metro area. If you have a diesel with a GVW over 8500lbs like a M1008 it will not have to be tested. The fact that your CUCV is emissions exempt and as has no emission controls just means you will not have to have those controls on it that other civilian models must have during testing and that the vehicle will be tested to a different lower standard if it doesn't go over GVW 8500. The standard was low back when CUCV's were built so any pollution controls probably make very little difference anyway with diesels.

I used to have an 81 Isuzu I-Mark and I had to run it through DEQ and all they would do was look at the tailpipe and collect my money.

edpdx

I have to smog my M1009, do you?

I have never had to do it before. Last registration at DMV, the guy gave me an exempt form. He told me to check either:

1. I live outside of the smog area.
2. I have a GVW of over 8500lbs.

I had already paid, and he gave me my receipt as I filled the form out, I asked which box to check. He said the second one. Stamped approved.

This year my registration reminder says I need to be smogged. I called and they told me I HAVE TO!

Do stock CUCVs generally pass? What can I do to sail through this smog emission stuff?

tim292stro

M1009 GVWR = 6400LBS

6400 is not greater than 8500, the registration guy told you to basically falsify your documents...

In California's diesel emissions inspection for older vehicles, we have two parts:

1. Inspection to ensure factory emissions control equipment is in place and functioning.
  2. Snap acceleration test - this is a warm-engine peddle mashed to the floor exercise not under drive-train load (Dyno). If your exhaust pipe belches black smoke you're f-d. There is an opacity chart or optical sensor they place on your pipe to ensure you're not spewing soot.

Generally if your engine is running well with no blue/white haze (worn out engine, bad rings, burning oil), and you haven't removed any emissions control hardware (EGR, CAT, DPF, etc...) you should pass.