• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I Took the Plunge: 71DeuceAK's 1986 M928A1 Project

71DeuceAK

Well, since the news has officially gotten out there, I will make the official announcement. I took the plunge and am acquiring an M928A1 that needs a motor. It may just be a head gasket but I'm assuming the best I'll get out of it is core charge or a scrap cash out until I get to go meet the truck in person.

It must be a really early release, as it lacks ABS...so pre 1999 right? It has NDTs yet is an A1, but I assume the NDTs went on after the original Super Singles wore out?

It's painted fire department yellow and has a pumper bed right now, which I will likely somehow get rid of. I have a possible lead on an M927/8 bed, but if not I may make it living quarters and move out of the college dorms. No grass, no property taxes...

She needs a few things but I strongly believe I can bring her back. I have always wanted a 928 so when this came up at a price I could afford I was all but sold.

Special thanks to Steel Soldiers and its members for getting me to this point! Later, I'll do a thread in the "Member Recognition" board with specific names and commendations.

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds like a fun project!!
The Navy and USMC trucks did not get the ABS upgrade. As far as I can tell anyway.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would think the FD put the non directional on for stability in rough terrain with the water load. Very unusual for an A1 to be retrograded to duals by the military.

Good luck fixing the 855. It's a big motor to be swapping.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Even some army trucks got out without ABS. Have a 932A0 with 11.00 Michelin XL's . No air dryer, No abs. Dash reads CARC 11/87. Has 98 hours and 300 miles on it. So who knows. Has army markings in the cab but i strongly speculate it has lockers. So maybe it was a USMC and army truck. <shrugs> I brought back a 931A0 RRAD truck with NDTs on it and an A2 fuel tank and has A2 spring can brackets. You never know what the gooberment did or what someone else did. I do know these trucks came right off the lot at camp shelby so things were not cut off or switched up.

71DeuceAK

Even some army trucks got out without ABS. Have a 932A0 with 11.00 Michelin XL's . No air dryer, No abs. Dash reads CARC 11/87. Has 98 hours and 300 miles on it. So who knows. Has army markings in the cab but i strongly speculate it has lockers. So maybe it was a USMC and army truck. <shrugs> I brought back a 931A0 RRAD truck with NDTs on it and an A2 fuel tank and has A2 spring can brackets. You never know what the gooberment did or what someone else did. I do know these trucks came right off the lot at camp shelby so things were not cut off or switched up.
Interesting! I can believe it though.

I believe the A2 type fuel tanks became a standard thing, even as a replacement on A0/A1 when needed.

71DeuceAK

OK! The reality of this thing is finally starting to sink in: I am pretty much a 5 ton owner, as soon as monetary resources change hands.

98G and Lindsey have kindly volunteered their amazing help and resources to help me get this thing moved to storage at Lindsey's premises for safekeeping. I've got a lead on tires which should hopefully at least make it roll. I've talked to Wes/Simp5782 about potentially hauling it closer to Alaska at some point in the future.

This started happening the beginning of this month but time has been flying by and life has been crazy. Short of waking up in the mornings and it dawning on me that "I'm soon to be a 5 ton owner" and talking to others privately about it, today it finally really hit me.

These darn trucks changed my life in so many ways. I cannot even describe what it feels like now having one unless something insane happens (which it shouldn't).

I don't think very many people had an M928A1 as their first vehicle project, but here I am. I've always lived car-less and gotten around in other ways, so a (not currently moving under its own power) 5 ton as my first project is a non-issue in my situation.

Plans are a tiny home situation, or even just revert it to a proper M928A1.

lindsey97

It's the wrong color but I know how to fix that.....

Haul it? It will most likely run when it finally leaves my place. Most other junk does, junk being in reference to my collection of green and yellow iron.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Ive got an NTC365 big cam here in Memphis and the M915 front mount so it will be similar to the mounting I am doing in mine. The 915 trucks sit between the frame rails like the M939 and M809 series trucks so it should be a near fit. With a little offset needed to be corrected since the bellhousing is offset on the small cams.

Or i have my take out engine. Would need a piston and liner just to be safe on #1 cylinder but everything else is fine and complete, minus the injection pump.

I would go with a big cam for the cost that they are and the size of the truck.

71DeuceAK

Others do definitely seem to also share the opinion that it's easier than I think to make it run. Just had coffee with a couple other M939 guys last night who really got a kick out of the project.

Wes, I'll contact you...

71DeuceAK

Provided I can get away from school, and/or other stupidity doesn't arise, (Like fighting with the financial aid department!) it looks like I'll be going to go see this thing in about a month.

Mos68x

Great! If your at least moderately mechanically inclined you shouldn’t have much of an issue rebuilding that engine. I’m almost finished with my 8.3 rebuild, just putting the finishing touches on it...and trying to find all the bolts that disappeared lol

71DeuceAK

I'm in this weird predicament where I know where every grease zerk on an M939 series truck is, but can't even fix a Briggs & Stratton lawnmower. Is that any indicator?

71DeuceAK

OK! Sounds like I've even got someone volunteering to try and make it run even though I can't make it to the truck in person for some time yet.

I'm getting pretty excited nevertheless!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks