• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I towed a big boat with my m1009, that's the most you've towed?

jrou111

I towed a big boat with my m1009, what's the most you've towed?

I took my M1009 CUCV to go pickup a boat I had purchased last week 250 miles away in Mobile, AL.

Using the 2" ball/pintle hitch, I connected everything and headed back to Birmingham. The truck towed the ~5000+ lb load just fine, braking wasn't too bad either even though the surge brakes didn't work. I did have to be careful of fishtailing due to the short wheelbase of the M1009.

About 25 miles into the trip, the truck's temp light came on. I was doing about 75mph so I slowed down to 60mph and it went away :razz:

I can't wait to see how the truck handles pulling the boat out of the launch :shock: I'll probably put it into 2LOW though to overcome the tall gearing.

I don't have pics of the whole rig, but here's the boat:

Attachments

Last edited:

jag7720

Just a friendly FYI, the pintle on the 1009 isn't rated for that much weight. . . unless you added an aftermarket hitch setup.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/18457-1009-1008-towing-capacities.html

I still don't get it... I know what the "rating" is, but if you look at how that pintle is mounted, it is mounted to the frame... not just the bumper.

it bolts to the 1" bat that bolts between the lift points. Plus there is a plate behind it that bolts directly to the frame.

How is that not "bolted" to the frame and how is that not strong enough?

jrou111

Attachments

wkbrdngsnw

I tow my 18 ft Bayliner (3500lb) with a 1009 every week to the lake perfectly fine. The ramp is a little interesting when the boat drags the truck in with it, so back over the crest of the ramp slowly, but has no problems pulling it out in 2WD. Locking the hubs in before backing down is always a good idea so you don't have to get out when it won't climb in 2WD. I would say that brakes would be a good thing to have since blazers are a little short and tend to jackknife when braking.

I also tow my 1942 WC on a 16 foot trailer occasionally but that is at 35 MPH and staring at the pyrometer the whole time. Although, I do use a weight distributing hitch and the trailer has 2 axle brakes.

Attachments

mangus580

I still don't get it... I know what the "rating" is, but if you look at how that pintle is mounted, it is mounted to the frame... not just the bumper.

it bolts to the 1" bat that bolts between the lift points. Plus there is a plate behind it that bolts directly to the frame.

How is that not "bolted" to the frame and how is that not strong enough?
That has nothing to do with the rating on the 1009. Its the 3.08 gearing that keeps the towing capacity so low. As evident by his Temp light coming on at 70 mph... he was working the crap out of that engine/tranny towing that kind of load with the crappy gears.

As to pulling it out of the launch.... even with my 2000 S-10 blazer, and my jetski, I always used 4low for pulling out of the launch. No slip, no grunt, no WORRIES.... just drive out.

I have seen the civvy counterpart of the 1009 pull a HUGE boat out of a steep launch... in low range... Where 2 trucks chained together couldnt do it (both 2wd). Of course, then the owner of the boat had the balls to ask my brother to put it back in, as it was a little crooked on the trailer!!!

For short distance towing of that boat, you should be fine... I wouldnt do too many more long distance trips with it.

I dont tow with my 1009 now that we have the wifes suburban... even the last M116 I towed with it, with a 5kw diesel genset on it... it was like the tail wagging the dog, and drove like crap.

Of course, your mileage may vary, and this is just my 2cents

jag7720

mangus,

Agreed... but my point was to all the comments that have been posted with regards to the pintle.

Any time the pintle is mentioned someone will inevitably state that the pintle is not rated for heavy towing and you have to get a class III frame mounted hitch. Or else you will rip the bumper off the truck and dogs and cats will start living together.

After the first few times I read these posts I always went out an looked at how that pintle was mounted and it never made sence that it was too weak. It bolts to the bumper twice and to the frame twice (to include the lift points) and the bumper is mouted to the frame.

Just sayin...

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
And a deuce is only rated for a 10,000lbs trailer :wink:

I was using a pintle/2" ball combo rated for way more than the towed weight.

The truck was within its limits, barely. Max payload is rated at 1500lbs and I was at 900lbs.

Let me stir the pot a bit more. . . :)

Go to U-Haul, etc. . . and try to rent a trailer with that, or any, bumper mounted setup and see how far you get. . .

As Mike said, your mileage may vary, I'm out of change :p

jrou111

Let me stir the pot a bit more. . . :)

Go to U-Haul, etc. . . and try to rent a trailer with that, or any, bumper mounted setup and see how far you get. . .

As Mike said, your mileage may vary, I'm out of change :p
I don't know if you've looked or not, but it's not mounted to the bumper. It's mounted to the frame! And I've rented U-haul trailers before with a bumper mounted ball (rated Class 3) on my K3500. As long as it's rated Class 2 or higher for the dolly, or Class 3 or higher for the auto transport.

1stDeuce

I should really be working, but couldn't help but to reply to this one... Consider that when the army rated the deuce to tow 10k, and the CUCV trucks to tow much less than the civy versions, it likely had much to do with the intended driver than the hitch... An 18 year old kid in a truck that isn't his is going to be more than a little hard on the equipment. A M1009 is short, has somewhat poor gearing, etc... Towing heavy, it will react badly given a poor driver, a poorly loaded trailer, bad roads, etc. and the easiest way to prevent that from occuring is to make darn sure that it doesn't see those conditions. The only one that's easy to prevent is the heavy trailer condition.

I wouldn't worry about it at all. The tow rating on a CUCV has NOTHING to do with hitch strength and everything to do with limiting how much absuse the system will see. Trans temps are a large part of the limit as well, as the gearing is less than ideal, and the military conditions could have miles of sand at low speeds in 120+ ambient... Military ratings are for worst case conditions... If you're towing with brakes, at lower temps, and on good roads, you can exceed the rating without issue.

Back to hitches, I'd like to see someone rip the hitch off the back of a 1008 or 1009... I don't think you could do it any easier than ripping off a receiver. In fact, I've seen lots of bent recievers on late model trucks, and I have yet to see any pics of a bent bumper on a 1008/1009... (Pics required for credability!!)
C

john ford

I am hoping to tow a piano (3-400 lbs) a 55 gallon drum of wvo and a 11x11 command tent across the country and back with my m1010,..but am a little nervous; though not so sure I should be after looking at this thread. Should I be?

jasonjc

Off the point here but the boat is too far back on the trailer/or the trailer is too short for the boat. Also if the tough wieght is too low that will cause fish tailing. Getting the boat farer up on the trailer will help this.
As for ripping off a receiver done it on a F350. The company I worked for would buy the cheapist class 5 hitch they could.

jrou111

Off the point here but the boat is too far back on the trailer/or the trailer is too short for the boat. Also if the tough wieght is too low that will cause fish tailing. Getting the boat farer up on the trailer will help this.
As for ripping off a receiver done it on a F350. The company I worked for would buy the cheapist class 5 hitch they could.
It's not a problem anymore because I bought a 2004 F-250 w/ a Powerstroke. I only use the M1009 when I need to back the trailer into the backyard because of the shorter wheelbase.

CUCV85

hope that's not a 6.0L, my cousin had one and said it ended up being junk - dead before 90k, I don't think Ford even has that engine any more to date.

jrou111

hope that's not a 6.0L, my cousin had one and said it ended up being junk - dead before 90k, I don't think Ford even has that engine any more to date.
Once you fix the EGR stuff it's a good motor as long as you take care of it. The reason Ford got rid of the motor was because of tightening gov emmisions requirements, just like the 7.3.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks