• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I wanna go fast up hills!!!

AKJEEP

Ok. Maybe not "fast".
But I'd like to climb a 7-9% in 4th and maintain around 45.
So I'm asking (begging) for economicly feasible power tips.

1965 M35A2 non-turbo

Yeah, I'm looking for a turbo around here as we type....

What else? Someone mentioned 'turning up the fuel'. :?:

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't think i'd turn up the fuel much with out a turbo. Espacilly if you don't have a pryo. Do you have a airshift T-case? If so, lockout hubs helped my seat of the pants acceleration. They are not cheap though. Is it cold enough up there to take your fan off?

AKJEEP

Just the manual shift T-case.
I doubt this ol' beast has a thermostat. Never seen the gauge hit over 165 even on a hot summer day up hill 2000 RPM at 30 mph
I could probably get away with losing the fan, but I don't think it'd like me if I let it idle anywhere (winter or summer)
Since the T-case is only hi-lo range, I'd like to be able to unlock the ft end, so I'll probably go hubs at some point

jwaller

if your not getting up to temp you need to fix that. these things must run around 200 to be efficient and prevent wear and spitting oil and vapor out the draft tube. as far as getting more power. there isnt much to do. strap on a turbo and turn up th efuel with a pyro and you'd be happy. conversion wont cost more than about $200.

AKJEEP

Where is a good place to get the conversion?
If I find someone who can ship parcel post, it makes things affordable. UPS likes to rape us around here....

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Akjeep, these subjects have been covered in great detail thru many threads on this forum, I suggest you do a search.
Your optemp seems about normal for the multi, I run with a custom made piece of plywood in front of the radiator almost at all times to keep the temp up to 175°F or so. Only hits 200 under heavy load. At idle, don't expect more than 160, ever, the engine burns about 2 quarts of fuel/hr at idle and I guess with the fan it wont get up to temp.

A turbo conversion involves replacing the exhaust system also along with a timing change, all covered in past threads. I think it could cost you closer to $1,000 unlesss you hold out and look for really good deals on the parts. It should include a pyrometer and boost gauge also, which alone will cost you 100 bucks.

The conversion is well worth it, but when driving these things, learn to take your time and enjoy it.

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
With a turbo (or maybe without, I don' know) and a little fuel you can climb 2%-3% grades very well. You might be able to hold 40 in 4th on a 5% grade. Turning up the fuel more will fly you up that grade, but will the engine melt before you get to the top? That's the issue, you can only keep the fuel pedal on a turned-up duece nailed to the floor for so long before the temp rises to a dangerous area. So, you have flown about 1/3 way up the hill! Once you do this, you'll see what I'm trying to say.

I think this is a good model: The temperature is like a bucket with a small hole in it. There is a faucet with a valve that fills the bucket with water. The water level indicates the temperature, the water flow through the hole hole represents the rate at which the engine exhaust heat can be disposed of, and the amount of water flow from the faucet represents the rate at which heat is being built up. The faucet valve is the gas pedal. Open the faucet wide and the bucket fills up quick.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Some people are using nitrious but that can get expensive and in AK may be hard to get.
You might consider propane injection to give you a boost, there are fairly inexpensive kits out there or if you are a good fabricator you might do it yourself.
Or if you really want to pass those slow moving vehicles how about a JATO system. :shock:
If your not familiar with JATO do a google. 8)

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Took a while to find it, but this image shows a portion of the dash superimposed on a view from the driver's seat while driving up a 5% grade.
Pictures were taken within seconds of each other.
The deuce was empty except for the K-boom, so the GVW was about 16,000 at this time. My multi is turboed.
Patrick drove this interstate two days ago, Sunday morning, and posted a picture going South at about the same spot.

Attachments

beetle

Hey guys & gals. I've owned my deuce for about 7 years now .The first thing I learned was, if you are in a hurry, take the F150.Deuces are not made for speed. They are made to get you there no mater what you have to run over or thru. My deuce taught me how to relax , enjoy the ride, enjoy the attention & most of all it taught me patience.Friends of mine who are speed demons are always fixing something on their truck or installing some new gadget to get more. I spend my time getting mine dirty & having a blast.So forget the speed & enjoy the ride for what it is . The Kenworths might pass you on the highway but they can't come play in the mud & water. Happy Halloween. Beetle

Westech

CPL
I have the fuel turned up on my Deuce and it will hold a very steep hill at full speed but BOY does it get hot!!! You can make a multi really crank out the power but it just gets too damn hot. I have my pyro after the turbo and I wont run it for long when the temp is over 1000*. If Im not looking and it goes to 1100* you can smell all the paint and junk start to burn off things and I take it as that's not good. There is a 11% grade by my house and I can hold 35 mph on a good day but that is teasing the 1100* mark. Like what was said before.. if you need to get there fast take the pick up.

jwaller

I just bought a used turbo off egay for $100. another $100 in fittings for the oil and return lines and remodel the exhaust pipe a bit and your 7/8 the way there. if you have any skill with your hands it's a very simple swap.

AKJEEP

I agree with Beetle for the most part. The Deuce is NOT for speed.
I'm just trying to decide if it's worth it to "hop it up" or if I should just live with 20mph up the highway.

My ol' 57 Willy's wagon had a bumper sticker on it I'll have to find/duplicate:

"I may be slow, but I'm ahead of you!"

jatonka

Hi AKJEEP, Nice to see a new member on the SS. I spent a year and a half Between Galbraith Lake, Fairbanks and Delta Junction in 74-75. Where are the hills? Seriously, I spend a lot of time on M35 modifications and building new stuff for them and I own a lot of them and I've never made one go fast up hill yet. Just enjoy yourself. And let me know if Connie the beautiful blonde is still at the Evergreen in Delta Junction. John T

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Heat is a result of turning up the fuel. More power, more heat. You can cool the intake charge with an intercooler. You could also do water injection too. I'm no expert one either of these things though. Does anyone know what propane injection does to EGT? I know it gives a power boost.

AKJEEP

jatonka said:
Hi AKJEEP, Nice to see a new member on the SS. I spent a year and a half Between Galbraith Lake, Fairbanks and Delta Junction in 74-75. Where are the hills? Seriously, I spend a lot of time on M35 modifications and building new stuff for them and I own a lot of them and I've never made one go fast up hill yet. Just enjoy yourself. And let me know if Connie the beautiful blonde is still at the Evergreen in Delta Junction. John T
Guess ya didn't drive the Taylor much while you were here.
But that's a rare trip for the Deuce. Mostly where I go with it is in the White Mountains off the Steese towards Circle. Not bad hills (in a pickup), but slow goin' in my Duece.

I don't ussually stop much in Delta. I'll ask my buddy when he walks in - He's from there.
What year(s) were you around?

I've found a 5-ton with turbo that someone swiped part of the turbo itself off......This should be a step in the right direction I think. What other than the exhaust will I need?

(I know this has probably been discussed several times in various other threads - I appologize for bringing it back up - just didn't see specific answers to these questions)

houdel

OK - Lets get serious and summarize here:
1. FORGET nitro or propane unless you are a real freak.
2. INSTALL a PRE turbo pyrometer so you know what your engine is doing BEFORE you fry your turbo (which is easily done if you do not monitor your EGT).
3. Crank up your fuel adjustment untill you reach about 1100F on a loaded, long uphill haul. Exceed 1100F ONLY if you have a fat wallet.
4. Once you have achieved step 3, STOP! Anything further CAN increase power, but will significantly flatten you wallet! Be happy with what your Deuce will do with 1100F EGT and learn to live with it, unless you have a lot of bucks and time to spend on replacement engine parts!
5. Remember the Deuce is intended primarily as an off road tactical vehicle, NOT a high speed OTR vehicle!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks