• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I wanna go fast up hills!!!

Westech

CPL
mine is post turbo and I run it up to the 1100* teaser mark and no problems at all. But if it goes just past 1100* or I keep it there for a couple min you can small things starting to burn. (not good I think) But so far no problems besides a little slober from the head gaskets. I tell ya.. my multi runs just 100% great I really can count on it, but just everything esle sucks lol

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can keep mine in 4th at 40MPH on a 3% grade at 900 degrees post turbo. I wasn't looking and caught it at 1000 deg in 3rd coming from Bjorn's to HWY 77 and let off right away. The real question is, what's the graph of pre vs post turbo temperatures? It's not so simple perhaps due to RPM, load, and the fuel curve of the pump.

houdel

MY ERROR! Yes, by all means I should have said PRE TURBO pyrometer. Original posting has been correcter. Thanks for the sharp eye, Ken.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
With all this talk I finally went down to the local gauge house and got my thermcoupler and lead. Had the NOS 23 yr old gauge checked and it works great. They got quite a kick out of the gauge. When I swap the turbo on the wrecker, the manifold will be tapped.

houdel

It took me less than 15 mins. to drill and tap my exhaust manifold. Taking off all the pieces so I could get to the turbo to remove it and reinstalling everything was about a 4 hour job!

AKJEEP,

If ya really wanna go fast just drop in a Chevy 502 like this M211 owner did.

Imagine going 56 mph at 2350 rpm?
Kick the rpm up to 6500 and pray you don't blow a front tire going 85+ :shock:

Oh, and if you wanna stop? (Insert hair on fire icon here)
Your results may vary.

AKJEEP, I love your state. My dad took our family there in a 1959 Chevy 3/4 Ton NAPCO 4X4 for the summers of 1960 and 1962 (spent the whole summer there). I have been dying to return ever since. I couldn't think of a more pleasurable drive in a deuce than return trip up the Alcan. I understand that it is paved now?

Attachments

houdel

Just remember, Deuces DO NOT go up hills fast, unless you make a few mods. Deuces are designed for moderate highway speeds, like 40-50 MPH, but mostly for low speed and off road tactical uses. You CAN mod a Deuce to go up hills really fast, but not for very long before you blow up some really expensive pieces!

AKJEEP

Thanx Lee.
Again, let me state I have no fantasy about zippin' along in a Duece!
Like the bumber sticker says - "I may be slow, but I'm ahead of you!"
I just wonder sometimes if 20-25mph is an average speed up a 12% grade at 2000rpm for a 68 M35 or if there is something I should be addressing (ie. fuel press, inj cleaning, etc.)
I can probably find a turbo unit laying around somewhere, but I wanna weigh:
a. if it is a pain to change over,
b. if I'll gain much,
c. if there's something else that needs to be addressed first,
d. or if it sounds about right for the ol' beast and if I start screwing with a turbo, for instance, it'll hamper performance on the lower end, which is where I primarily use it. It spends most of it's time crawlin' through the backcountry at low speeds and I don't want to sacrifice that for the occasional highway run from trailhead to trailhead.

AKJEEP

Amd Polverone, yeah, most of the Alcan is paved now. The Canadians take their highway maint very seriously. The trucks and equipt you see them using to patch a section of road would squish a duece without noticing.
And I wonder if the old NAPCO Chevy I found abandoned along a trail near Fairbanks may have been yours! I'd thought about salvaging it and trying to restore it, but some one found it and it dissappeared last summer.

But my Duece will never see a GM motor! I'll run my multifuel until it gives up, then I'll either drop in a spare or canabilise the truck for one of my many other projects.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks