• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I want a 5 ton

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here's a somewhat comparable truck at auction. $10,100 final bid means more like $12,300 at invoice. And you still have to retrieve it.

74M35A2's truck has the winch which adds $1500-2000. A private sale truck also gives you the ability to test drive it and look it over in much more detail, which adds considerable value.

Attachments

74M35A2

Not offended at all. Very OK to give general ranges and example.

Mine had old paint in the river pic. New paint job below.

It is a time vs risk vs money thing, like anything else. You can get a 923/5 for $2300 from auction, and that $7700 you saved will go a long way on upgrades, repairs, or even buying 2 other ones! Or, you can spend $10k or so, get a nice one, and not have to work on it, just show up at car shows and be the hero.

Last week I pulled up next to a Lamborghini at a restaurant parking lot, and everybody ran away from the ghini and over to my truck, I felt like I had one that drags on the floor! Most people here own multiple cool toys. I just own this one, so I politely bow out to all of them. I paid more, and that is OK, because it is the only one I have and I like it.

925FP.jpg

101coolcars

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I really enjoy restoring things and do that for a living. I painted my m1028 with CARC paint myself. Im getting old and the truck is so much bigger that what im used to im not sure i could actually do a really big job on one of these monsters. one really has to respect guys building and restoring these trucks. your truck looks really nice, i hope mine comes out like that.

Last edited:

74M35A2

I've never had any formal training or experience with body work. Before and after.... if I can do it, anyone can.
We can tell. Looks like the inmates painted your front bumper. Hopefully the pics are in reversed order! :driver:

Just kidding bro.

Last edited:

JohnnyBM931A2

As some people have already hinted at, if you have a choice between the A1 with the 250 Cummins, or the A2 with the 8.3 Cummins, go with the A2. More than double the fuel mileage, and I believe the 8.3 makes about 200ft lbs more torque. You also get the CTIS system which is great when it works properly. I also learned recently that the 8.3 is very good at starting in cold weather, and I'm guessing you get some of that in Colorado ;) And for that reason, I would also go with a hardtop truck.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ha.. Maybe used :razz: If you buy one new you're looking at $1000 or so. That's for the fiberglass version that people are making now. NOS steel hardtops in the crate/box are more like $3000 :(

I'm talking about difference in value of an auction truck in decent condition with hardtop vs without hardtop. Are you going to pay $3k more for a truck because it has a hardtop?

I bought a hardtop recently in nearly NOS condition for $400.

NovacaineFix

I'm on the fence, but I may be selling my '70 M818 in the near future. [my situation has changed recently] I love the truck and like 98G stated, they drive strong and sound great no matter what series you get. It all depends on what fits you, well, and your budget.
Look at it this way, they are the same as regular trucks, just bigger and heavier and usually have many more parts.

Alway get many thumbs up when driving, took it mountain trail driving and I think the truck had as much fun as I did.
Good Luck with whatever truck you

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
As some people have already hinted at, if you have a choice between the A1 with the 250 Cummins, or the A2 with the 8.3 Cummins, go with the A2. More than double the fuel mileage, and I believe the 8.3 makes about 200ft lbs more torque. You also get the CTIS system which is great when it works properly. I also learned recently that the 8.3 is very good at starting in cold weather, and I'm guessing you get some of that in Colorado ;) And for that reason, I would also go with a hardtop truck.
9mpg is what to expect out of an 8.3. 5mpg is what to expect out of an NH250. This doesn't fit my definition of "more than double" although it is substantial.

I've had multiple examples of both motors. I don't have a strong preference either way. I'll take a nice truck with a winch and an NH250 over a rustbucket with an 8.3. For two otherwise equivalent trucks I'm not willing to spend an extra $2000-3000 for the 8.3.

If you tow heavy in hilly terrain, you want the 8.3. Otherwise it isn't a big deal either way. If you're choosing your 5ton based on fuel efficiency then a 5ton probably isn't for you.

CTIS is something that I prefer not to have (a recent change of mind) It is a potential point of failure that will disable you and leave you stranded on the side of the road - ask me how I know.

These are my opinions, derived from my experiences. Yours may vary. My experiences include over 10,000 miles in A2 variants over the past year, and probably double that in A0 and A1 trucks.

Last edited:

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There's three things you want to have decided prior to purchase -

1) configuration : cargo, tractor, expansible van, etc....

2) which motor do you want

3) is the PTO winch a must - have?

Everything else is fairly easily changed. You can put super singles on a truck that didn't come with them. You can easily and cheaply change a soft top to a hard top. Troopseats and cargo covers are easily added (everything from the bed up in NOS condition should be $1300ish , $700 at most for just a good cargo cover)

You can add that PTO winch to a truck that didn't have it, but it is a lot of work and almost always just better to get a truck that already has it.

98G

Last edited:

infidel got me

5 ton

I chose the A2. I have several good friends that own either variant. I was able to drive both the A1 and A2, and the A2 was the clear choice. It made good power through all gears and just seemed to have a better feel to it [maybe it was just me] Not a big fan of carrier bearings, and the A1 does have one on the front drive shaft. If the ctis is working, I guess it's a plus but I agree with a few other members, can leave you stranded [removed non-working ctis systems off both mine] I can add/remove air as needed. You should be able to find a good deal on a runner for 5 grand. You can then add what goodies suit your needs with the left over cash you have. Another word of advise-- the warn electric winch WILL NOT PULL OUT A STUCK 5 TON-- it will pull out a stuck Toyota or 4 wheeler lol. Maybe you can drive either model and decide from the test drive. Either way 5 tons are awesome trucks, A1 or A2.

Last edited:

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Im getting old and the truck is so much bigger that what im used to im not sure i could actually do a really big job on one of these monsters.
Welcome to my world.

I tried breaking down one of the super singles once.....and once broke me of the habit.

I have a tire dude that will break them down, repair/replace the tire for 35 bucks. He is my new BFF.

In my neck of the woods shop time for these trucks is about 75 bucks an hour but my truck has only required shop time once since I owned it and that was to have an aftermarket temperature gauge installed. I could prob have done it myself but I have to work outdoors so I took the path of least resistance. To have the gauge installed and the whole truck lubed was a shade over 200 bucks. Money well spent in my book.

There is absolutely no way you can by a comparable civilian equivalent of these trucks (mileage on the clock, condition, capability, etc.) for the money. It ain't going to happen.

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What is the point of a heavy trailer, to haul heavy stuff. Get a wrecker (A1, A2, your choice) to haul the trailer and you always have a way to load and unload the trailer.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
What is the point of a heavy trailer, to haul heavy stuff. Get a wrecker (A1, A2, your choice) to haul the trailer and you always have a way to load and unload the trailer.
A wrecker is a marvelous beast to have but they bring with them a bunch of challenges.

Unless you already own a tow service or have the money to pay commercial tow insurance you will not be towing (even flat towing) with the wrecker legally.

Trust me on this, been there, done that, didn't even get the T-shirt.

I was told I could tow a pintle type trailer such as the M105 but not a heavy trailer with another large vehicle on it.

I use the one I have on loan for the boom more than anything.

Military wreckers are also "toads in the road". Slow on flat ground and really slow on hills.

Jeepsinker

If you have any issue with the weight of parts while servicing hubs on the deuce, then the 5 ton is definitely not for you. The brake drums alone weigh as much as the hub and drum on the deuce. Something close to 100 pounds. Don't understand why the 1061 is too heavy for your deuce. My deuce pulls my 1061 fine, even loaded down on hills and long grades. Stops better than the truck does by itself too.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks