• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I want a flat black painted CUCV (like the two that I saw on the way home from work)!

sandsock

I was shocked to see these beauties on the drive home because I hadn't seen a legit Active Duty motor pool residing CUCV since my 1985 patrol vehicle was turned in during the mid90s for a cursed 25mph governor limited Clinton-era Daihatsu Bongo ice cream truck that we tried our darndest to break so we wouldn't be embarrassed driving it around. The 1985 was a gem once the motor pool rigged up what looked like a household circuit breaker on the starter cable because they were tired of replacing inline fuses. We were sorry to see it go because even though the heat wasnt as good as our new 1994 SuperDuty, the Daihatsu had really no heat whatever from the crappy little motor right under the seat but apparently had been purchased for fuel economy...

I think when its time to paint my personal 1986 that I may just buy and case of flat black Rustoleum Rust Reformer on a nice sunny day....
IMG_20180416_173648238_HDR.jpg

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A better, and certainly more durable paint would be the flat black that Caterpillar uses for a trim paint on their equipment. It brushes well or sprays. Just go to the parts counter at a Cat dealer and ask for a gallon.

85CUCVtom

My blazer was flat black when I bought it. I prefer camo or OD on these vehicles.

Whatever paint they used on my blazer was rolled on. I think it was maybe Behr paint but I'm not too sure, it was a very thick finish though. If I did it again I would buy the flat black paint that Rapco sells.

Drock

I'll admit the flat black looks good. But I've grown to love the faded camo on my M1028. It hides dirt, scratches, and imperfect bodywork.

sandsock

Ha! You busted him! He thought he could pull a fast one on us! :mrgreen:

Seriously, I prefer the OD service body on the truck in the background. It's always nice to have a place to lock up some tools.
Nope......just might take a while :grin:

Too shiny.... but the 1974 M880 Dodge refugee from DRMO that I had for a range truck had a sexy dark green finish, Dana PTO winch, toolboxes and only 18K miles which was pretty amazing for a two+ decade old truck at the time....someone probably got a great hunting vehicle because it was cherry. I wish I had at least the foresight to take pictures of it and the 1985 M1008 but film camera was expensive

I also like the "CUCV 1" on the 1009, it might be time to bust out the stencil set from Hobby Lobby

Last edited:

Boat Guy

I've seen a CUCV that was rhino-lined on the exterior. I am still thinking if I like it or not.
Mine is done inline-x I believe; pluses are a good durable "finish" minuses are a) I'd prefer it green like the one I drove in the service and b) that sucker is hard to find in the dark!

Last edited:

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would like to paint over my cammo and make mine tan. I was involved in Desert Storm from beginning to end, flying combat support and regular trash-haul missions into various airfields. The only time in my career I ever drove the M1009 was in Riyadh, one of the ground support guys let me baja around in the sand in his. We got stuck on the ground later when a sandstorm blew in- it was so thick we couldn't see 50' down the runway. We sat in the hammerhead for over an hour waiting it out. It was hot too, because we shut down the engines to save fuel. We tried to start the APU but when I turned on the AC all that talcum dust blew out into the cockpit.

So my memories are related to the tan CUCVs.