• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I want a shelter for a CUCV

Blythewoodjoe

I have been looking at building a custom set of bows and a cover for Bob D. Deuce and then it hit me, Put a shelter in the back for trips. I think the one's used for the CUCV are just the right size. X, Y, AND Z are about what the custom bed of my truck measures. Any body have one near me in SC that I could look at or even buy. I would like to smoke one over before I try to buy one. It would be nice to load one in the back of the truck to see how it looks before purchasing one too. Also anybody know what they weigh?

Thanks,
Joe Trapp

nf6x

Feral Engineer
RE: Re: I want a shelter for a CUCV

The basic HMMWV-sized (and also CUCV-sized, I think) shelter is the S-250. It's T-shaped in cross section to allow for the wheel wells in the trucks it's meant to go in. You might not want that feature if it's not needed for your custom bed. I think there are also similarly-sized shelters without the wheel well cutouts, but I don't know what they're called.

The basic deuce-sized shelter is the S-280. I don't remember if I've seen pictures of your truck before, but I'm guessing that you have a shortened deuce with a shorter than normal bed?

There are many other shelters with different "S" numbers that are very, very similar to the S-280 and S-250 shelters, with various modifications for particular applications. The most common differences are different arrangements of ventilation openings, different electrical connections, etc. For example, my deuce-sized shelter is an S-448, but it's basically the same as an S-280.

There are also completely different shelters, so if you find one for sale, measure it before you buy!

You can find the dimensions that you want here:

http://www.gichner.us/s-250-G.pdf

Blythewoodjoe

RE: Re: I want a shelter for a CUCV

Yes, I think the S250 is what I saw on a web site. It will be perfect. My custom bed is only 74" wide on the inside and 8.5' long. All the square one's I have seen are too wide. My sides are 18" high so again the S250 will be perfect. It will leave a little room at the back but that's OK. I think it is a little taller than what I want but you cant have everything. One of the reasons I want to put a shelter in the back for trips is the fact that I have a diesel powered cooler that I want to mount in the front over the cab and duct it into the cab as well as the shelter. It's 24" tall and just under 6' wide. I will be able to hang meat in the back on the next Aberdeen trip. No more sweaty privates (or officers for that matter).

Thanks for the info. It is a remote chance Celebrate Freedom foundation has one sitting around I can look at.

Joe Trapp

Blythewoodjoe

RE: shelter

I thought you might have some. I may have to plan a trip down your way next month. I'm starting a job that will keep me real busy for the next month.

Thanks,
Joe Trapp

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks