• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I want a shorter deuce

rustystud

You said shortening a Duece is potentially life threatening, that's ridiculous.

If the majority of people on this site can be trusted to drive old, out dated, extremely heavy trucks, why is modifying one for there needs any worse if it's done correctly?

I just can't see how it would be less safe or drive worse than a bobbed Duece. I completely agree there will be more tire wear. I think most Duece tires suffer from dry rot before they wear out, seems like a non issue to me.
I can tell two things about you M01028. First your young, second you where never in the military driving one of these rigs. Me, I have been a heavy diesel mechanic for over 35yrs plus my 4yrs in the Marines. I know what these vehicles are capable of and I know there short-comings. Also going to trade school and 4yrs apprenticeship I learned a lot about steering geometry, wheel base, axle turning radius , and a number of other interesting things about vehicles. All this to say, driving a vehicle that has been extremely modified from it's factory settings without proper research only leads to trouble. I sure your one of the offroad crowd that finds owning a military vehicle to be super keen ! That in itself is fine, but these vehicles cannot be modified like your jeep or bronco without consequences. Your statement that these are extremely heavy trucks made me laugh. You have never driven a 100,000lbs truck down the road have you ? That is a heavy truck. These deuces are a light to medium truck but still can cause a lot of trouble if modified incorrectly. You said "if done correctly" , well who has done it correctly ? Where is the documentation on it ? Just because someone has done once or twice does not mean it was done right. Or that it is safe to drive. Recovry4X4 said it very well that "locked tandem axles does effect front tire wear" . In a 4X4 vehicle you have a total different dynamic then a 3 axle vehicle. That center axle really effects the steering and stability of the vehicle. Now you cannot argue that a 4X4 rig that has monster tires under it doesn't effect the handling of the vehicle right ? Well shortening a 3 axle vehicle will also have a serious effect. I would sign off on this modification if I could see the test results of a standard "40mph collision avoidance test" . That would tell me if the vehicle has the stable steering and handling abilities to be safe on the public roads. But until that time I will continue to say that it is unsafe. So now the ball is in your court to "prove" me wrong, not just throw mud at me.

M-1028

I can tell two things about you M01028. First your young, second you where never in the military driving one of these rigs. Me, I have been a heavy diesel mechanic for over 35yrs plus my 4yrs in the Marines. I know what these vehicles are capable of and I know there short-comings. Also going to trade school and 4yrs apprenticeship I learned a lot about steering geometry, wheel base, axle turning radius , and a number of other interesting things about vehicles. All this to say, driving a vehicle that has been extremely modified from it's factory settings without proper research only leads to trouble. I sure your one of the offroad crowd that finds owning a military vehicle to be super keen ! That in itself is fine, but these vehicles cannot be modified like your jeep or bronco without consequences. Your statement that these are extremely heavy trucks made me laugh. You have never driven a 100,000lbs truck down the road have you ? That is a heavy truck. These deuces are a light to medium truck but still can cause a lot of trouble if modified incorrectly. You said "if done correctly" , well who has done it correctly ? Where is the documentation on it ? Just because someone has done once or twice does not mean it was done right. Or that it is safe to drive. Recovry4X4 said it very well that "locked tandem axles does effect front tire wear" . In a 4X4 vehicle you have a total different dynamic then a 3 axle vehicle. That center axle really effects the steering and stability of the vehicle. Now you cannot argue that a 4X4 rig that has monster tires under it doesn't effect the handling of the vehicle right ? Well shortening a 3 axle vehicle will also have a serious effect. I would sign off on this modification if I could see the test results of a standard "40mph collision avoidance test" . That would tell me if the vehicle has the stable steering and handling abilities to be safe on the public roads. But until that time I will continue to say that it is unsafe. So now the ball is in your court to "prove" me wrong, not just throw mud at me.
Is it not ok for someone to have a different opinion, experience or knowledge than you? Real classy to get personal and constantly remind us how your better than the rest. You don't know me, end of story.

To the OP, shorten that truck buddy, if you need help let me know.

rustystud

Is it not ok for someone to have a different opinion, experience or knowledge than you? Real classy to get personal and constantly remind us how your better than the rest. You don't know me, end of story.

To the OP, shorten that truck buddy, if you need help let me know.
It is OK to have a different opinion, but when you attack me with your comments without anything to back up your statements then I will show you the "error of your ways" . You where the one to take this to this level , not me. As far as being better then everyone else, where did I ever say that ? Again the personal attacks coming from you. There are plenty of people who have a vast knowledge of Military Vehicles on this site. I never said I was one of them, but I do have knowledge from my years of working in the truck industry and my time in the Marine Corps. One of the reasons I stay on this site is to help others who do not have my skill set, while still learning from those who have the vast amount of Military Vehicle knowledge. Others like "Doghead" , "Gringletaube" , "Clinto" . "Patracy" , "Peashooter", "JasonS", "M-35tom", "cranetruck", and so many others. Some new like "Chainbreaker" , and "Lt Dan" have come a long way in a very short time. So my original answer to you, to be " less snarky" still applies.

Last edited:

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I say if you want to build it, Do it. Yea a little more tire wear and the only outher problem I see might be the rears wanting to push the front straight end instead of it turning when on wet or snow covered ground.

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What I think should be considered but has not been mentioned is the length of the drive shaft from the t-case to the front rear axle. Double u-joints was mentioned and is important but you also have to have enough length adjustment as the rear walking beam articulates. The shorter the drive shaft, the longer the required spline travel. Of course this assumes the truck will still be off-roaded. For a street truck, limited suspension travel negates the concern.

M-1028

What I think should be considered but has not been mentioned is the length of the drive shaft from the t-case to the front rear axle. Double u-joints was mentioned and is important but you also have to have enough length adjustment as the rear walking beam articulates. The shorter the drive shaft, the longer the required spline travel. Of course this assumes the truck will still be off-roaded. For a street truck, limited suspension travel negates the concern.
I think it would be fine, the driveline has almost no angle at ride height. If I had to guess the factory u joint will handle around 20 degrees of angle. Anyone know how much the tandems move? I'd say axle droop will be the deciding factor, doubt the axle would compress enough to bind the u joint.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What I have found about age is seems like the young ones are smarter comming out of the Gate than us old ones were at that age.They have had so much more exposer to info with the web and lots of friends building and running some wild stuff. Yes I like to keep it simple but in the real world that don't allways fly.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Droop is pretty considerable. If I had the rear axle on my M275A2 on the rubber bumpers, the slip yoke was about as far out as it could travel. It would certainly be an additional consideration.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Not that it helps much, but both of those short trucks were listed for sale in Georgia about two years ago. I want to say they were in North East GA.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks