• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I want my first deuce soon, where do I start?

Gunfreak25

Hello! Name's Tom, just joined SS today after shadowing the site for awhile. Just never got around to joining. I am looking to buy my own M35 soon. Up until a few months ago I had no idea these trucks were so relatively inexpensive and available. So since fiding that out, I have been tring to do my homework on the deuce and I must say i've learned a good little bit about them. However i've never actually driven one, or even seen one in person. I know, i'm the big noob in town! :oops: So I do have some questions for you guys.
And I appologize if they've been asked before. What do I want deuce for? Why not?! :-D Not a main source of transportation but definately something too neat to be without, maybe cruise around town on the weekends. Maybe take it to the sand dunes once in awhile, would definately make all the guys at the shooting range green with envy!

-I live in AZ, where's the closest place I could go to get a nice, clean and good running M35? My price limit would be around $7000. The less the better. I don't want anything i'd have to put alot of work or money into. Maybe later though since I love working with my hands. Right now i've had my eyes on the M35's that "Idaho Motor pools" sells, they have some very nice ones it seems. But that's a long drive home, and I would like to drive my Deuce home for the "adventure" I guess you could say. There's a place in Texas that looks good too.

-Picking up a deuce in a different state. How would one go about this? Say I picked one up in Texas. Would I fly up there, pick out a truck, and get started on the paperwork? Speaking of papework, i've heard it's not exactly easy or fast to get a deuce fully registered/titled. I don't want to be stuck in a different state for a week shelling out the money for a hotel everynight just because paperwork for the truck is what's taking so long to get through.

-Lastly, what things do I need to look out for in a deuce? I live out in the county ( Yuma's a small town) at my mom and dads house right now. We have a gigantic drive way and plenty of room for parking. So that's one issue I don't have to worry about.

I'd appreciate any insight you guys could give me on my questions. Sorry if they've been asked before, but I am serious about getting an M35 and I would just like to have a good battle plan worked out before I get one. The more I know now, the less chance of some hidden issue popping up when It comes time to get one. Was thinking of purchasing one in the next year, two at the most. So I have time to read. :D

-Thanks guys! -Tom

1qwkgoat

You can find trucks for much cheaper from GL, but there is a trade off in unknown condition of the truck, hassles with GL, waiting on your EUC to clear. SF-97 form to get a title.

Buying from private sellers. Will cost you more. But you get to test drive the truck and go over it. If you decide to buy it you can leave with it that day.

For 7000 you can get a very nice deuce from a private seller

gunboy1656

Take your time find what you want. I got my truck for 4,000 and it is in great shape, a few issues to tackle, but not bad for a 37 year old truck.

If you wanna drive home, go through a private seller. save yourself the headache. Mine got delivered to me from out of state with a clean title, all I had to do was get the VIN checked and put it on a scale. Came out 13,600 pounds empty.

this is my truck.....

Attachments

Last edited:

GoHot229

Think about what you want in a Deuce. Do you want a winch, or a Hard Top? With or without a heater? What is your top dollar your willing to spend?.....decide it and stick to it. Gl, as said is cheaper, but ofset by not knowing the condition and the hassels of paperwork getting it liscensed in your state.Look in resources here in the forum, punch on classifieds and have a look. Guessing... $4500 to $5500 are some prices I'v seen for a Nice Deuce, but you can find them for $2500 up that are ok, just. Good luck and welcome to Steel Soldiers

quarkz

Supreme Galactic Cleric
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Also don't forget that GL charges a buyer's premium of 10% on your purchase so a $5K rig will be $5500+tax+GL's $60 Gov title fee, then you take that to you local DMV, (hope they have titles an M35 before),and pay their fee's.

Also GL won't help you find the stuff missing. Private seller usually has a lead on what is missing, because he was planning to upgrade it when his funds came along.

velociT

I decided to get my first truck through GL.

It's in Georgia, but the awesome members here led me to a affordable shipper.

Currently waiting on the EUC to be approved.

If you don't mind waiting possibly two months for the Government to scrutinize your paperwork, I'd say go the GL route.

Capt.Marion

The first place to start is to find someone nearby with a deuce, and go have them give you the run-down and crash-course on deuce care, maintenance, and driving. After that, you'll for sure want one badly, but will be better prepared to get it.

Nexquietus

I gotta say fellas, this thread is a great example of why this entire forum / community feels much different than many forums I have been to. I am in a similar predicament as Tom, never having seen, touched, nor driven a deuce, and none the less wanting one against all logic. I have hesitated posting a thread of this type, asking for tips and thoughts for the extremely newbie, and here Tom's thread is without a single person nagging him to use the search function or do some research for himself and loads of great tips and suggestions. Well done everyone.

...and please no flaming for the thread hijack :-D...lol just kidding

And Tom, soon I hope to be in your shoes... actively looking, not just wishing from the sidelines.

jim

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is no way in h*** that you will have to pay $7K for a deuce...unless, maybe, that includes shipping, too or you are getting some type of guarantee from a dealer like Winslow or Dave Newman. A really nice M35A2 w/w used to bring that much, but that was before GL. Anyway, you should be able to find a nice deuce for $3,500 or so outside of the big dealers. Make sure the guy selling it has a title. Without that, there is no way I'd pay that amount unless there were extenuating circumstances (the truck was absolutely like new). I, personally, would recommend finding a personal seller as opposed to going through GL since you are new. Most of the trucks coming through GL don't need much work, but there is always the land mine waiting for you. I have bought trucks that needed t-cases, transmissions, head gaskets, radiators, etc. These are things that you won't know you need UNTIL you get them home generally. A lot of guys don't factor shipping in when they bid or buy. Don't be like them. Shipping is part of the cost of buying a truck...like it or lump it. Either way, you should consider this...as opposed to some of the guys that drive halfway across the country in a truck that they just saw and have not serviced and without tags and a lot of times insurance.

Westex

I suggest you look at what you are going to buy before you bid on it. Nothing takes the place of buying a great truck versus a po$.

Gunfreak25

Wow! First off guys, I want to second what was said above. Ya'll have been very kind with your offers by way of PM, and posts filled with great advice. Thank you all! :-D I guess you should all know, that I am 18 years old. That's why I am in this finantial situation. I have no previous work history, so finding a job in this small town has proven to be quite the task for me. Hopefully I will get a small job somewhere soon! When I do land a job, is when I wanted to begin saving up my paychecks for a deuce. I don't have any cell phone bills ( I hate cell phones) So basically every penny I earn will go towards my own deuce. Maybe after half a years worth of wages saved up I will have enough. I will try and find one locally like some of you suggested. The dealers do tend to price a little on the high side it seems. In the meantime while I am sadly "deuceless" I am taking the time to do my homework on them. I've never seen or touched a deuce before, I wish I could find somebody here would take me for a ride along in theirs, but i've never seen a single deuce in Yuma before.

Mr.Wehring, I received your email right now. Thank you very kindly for the offer, but as I said to others who PM'd me with similar generous offers, I am not in a position to buy a deuce to buy right now. My aunt and uncle who live in Somerton, understand my finiancial/unemployment situation, and have even offered to help me with my first vehicle. Believe it or not, both my step dad and mother think it would be a neat idea for my first vehicle to be a deuce.

Well, so know you guys know why I want a deuce. What i'm looking for in a deuce, and a little bit about myself to boot. I have only been a member here a few days yet I feel like i've known you all my whole life! So thanks for taking the time to help me out here guys, it's very much obliged! :-D -Tom

Last edited:

MilitaryRestoration

Welcome to site...! especially being in the younger generation that i'm in as well :) but gradually getting out of :-0 :) 24... At any rate if you are looking for trucks let me know as I've got a few of all that are all gone through ran and field tested that we are getting rid of for cheap due to non understanding neighbors... :-! you can pm me or call me 3606086484 -Todd aka Military Related

steelandcanvas

Tom if I lived anywhere close to you, I would come by your house and take you for a ride...hell, I'd even let you drive it! You have a lot of entusiasim embarking on a new hobby. Green iron and your gun addiction will serve you well, alot of Guys enjoy the same two things. Some words of wisdom: Don't use your Deuce as a daily driver, as you kind of hinted to in your post. Get to know the vehicle inside out, before attempting to do that. Good luck and Welcome!!

Last edited:

Gunfreak25

Well I don't know if it's that shooting star I saw last night. But my luck may have changed a little bit, and for the better! I was talking with my uncle today, who said he still really wants to help me get a first vehicle. I told him about the deuce, how much I really would like to have one and how cheap they can be if you shop around. He thinks it's a pretty cool idea as well, as him and I are hunting guys. A Deuce would make hunting/camping trips very convenient. Plus as he put it, they are cheap to insure and it would be easier for me to drive around in instead of a newer truck.

So my uncle told me I should keep my eyes open for an M35 at a good price, and if I find one in the $2000 range I should let him know about it, and he'll see what him and my aunt can do. As long as it runs fine, that's what matters. I can do all the body work and cosmetics myself since I love doing that stuff. My uncle actually has a deuce. It's a 1943 CCKW. But it's in parts right now, and needs restoring. So if anyone has any leads on a good running M35 in Arizona that fits my uncles price range, let me know! :-D -Tom

roscoe

As stated earlier, its probably not going to be the best for a daily driver type vehical unless you haul stuff regularly. I use mine in my business to haul materials and supplies but it is not that convenient to just jump in and drive around as you would a car. Its kind of like driving a tractor around. You need to let it warm up and check things out before you take off. Also needs quite a bit of room to turn around and park. Then you need to do some checks when you shut it dowm also. Great trucks for working. Good luck.:-D

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks