• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

i want one!!!

adamax

so i've decided i want an m35a2. I've done lots of searching and reading on here and been able to answer most of my questions,but i still have a few more that i couldn't find.first how can you tell the difference between the lds465 and the ldt465. second what year did they start the air shift transfer case. i want to buy a good solid one and am trying to educate myself as much as possible before i go looking. also if anyone knows of a clean one in southern idaho,or northern utah let me know. thanks

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Welcome to the site. The LDS has about 180hp and the LDT has about 130hp in stock form. No need to know the airshift years, so many trucks got the upgrade, there is no rhyme or reason to tell if it will have one. Good luck on your search.

adamax

thanks for the speedy responses i cant wait to get one. thanks porkysplace i read that awhile ago definetly a good read for any new duece onwer.

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Adamax I have an LDT but have also driven a few LDS engines my summary is it reallys does not seem to matter much if the engine is in good shape and you keep up on Maintenance as per the TMs both will last for a very long time, and Oh yea keep the RPMs on both will within the limits, high RPMs = destroyed motor Have fun the M35 series is a great truck and I have enjoyed mine huge amounts!
KK

adamax

thanks guys i appreciate the responses. i plan on using the duece mainly for hauling firewood, but i probably wont be able to resist playing off road with it. one more question how rare is it to find one with the lds motor, the only reason i ask is because that little extra umpf would be nice but i would take either. thanks

whyme

The LDS has the starter on the drivers side under the fuel filters.

as i understood it they swapped it over to the right side when the LDS was transplanted into the deuce. could be very wrong of course.

also the LDS turbo is a little different along with the elbow from the IM to the turbo, though i have no idea if the LDT turbo was utilized on any LDS engines (back to the no rhyme or reason).

whyme

thanks guys i appreciate the responses. i plan on using the duece mainly for hauling firewood, but i probably wont be able to resist playing off road with it. one more question how rare is it to find one with the lds motor, the only reason i ask is because that little extra umpf would be nice but i would take either. thanks
yes it seems to be rare. they seem to have been a product of convenience, basically dropped in an m35 when they had one to do it, whether it was because of lack of an LDT or just someone looking to improve the truck i have no clue.

are you shopping GL or private? i have on occasion seen them on GL but if you are looking for one id say go private.

at any rate you can improve performance of the LDT by increasing fuel pressure but it can be risky so i have not myself.

adamax

id like to buy private if i can find one,im about 1 hour away from boyce equipment but seems like they want a little too much for there's. i've looked on gl but nothing's close enough and shipping would probably be pretty spendy. ill pass on the trade eric, besides you should be able to get 10,000 for that no prob.lol

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
as i understood it they swapped it over to the right side when the LDS was transplanted into the deuce. could be very wrong of course.......
You are right, there is no way the starter could remain on the left side since bellhousings have to be swapped also.

... though i have no idea if the LDT turbo was utilized on any LDS engines (back to the no rhyme or reason)
I had two engines, 5ton LDS465 rebuilt at TEAD, both were equipped with the typical LDT turbo, and both dynoed at 185Hp peak output.

G.