• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I want to tow my Corvette with my Deuce... Suggestions?

merlot566jka

Well guys, I will officially be done with my Naval Career on Oct 1st. 8 grueling years, have 3 different rates (MOS), 2 Aircraft carriers, 3 Assult landing craft, and 2 hand built JTF specific vessels. I have had enough. Time to finish my mechanical engineering degree.

But first I have to get myself, all of my belongings and do it safely from Gold Bar, WA to Edmond, OK. I will be driving the deuce. As planned, everything should fit into the bed of the deuce...just need bows and tarp.

My Corvette, however, wont fit in the bed of the deuce with all of my stuff. So I need a trailer. I did some quick browsing and realized that all of the military trailers are going to require a healthy amount of $$$$ to buy a flat bed. And theyre really tall.... My 96 LT4 Corvette sits about 1.1" off the ground. It has been lowered and can barely make it up any typical automotive lifts. I have had to make some really long ramps for it.

So here is my question, Do you know of a trailer with the pintle hitch that would work on the deuce and isnt a mile tall and over $1000?

Can I put a pintal hitch eyelet on a civilian trailer?

Can a smaller military trailer be modified to carry my Corvette? (it weighs under 3000lbs.)

What would you do?

Thanks ahead of time guys!

-Jonathan Anderson

Beres

I recall a guy putting a low vehicle on a trailer by tilting the trailer itelf. His vehilce was a truck with 4 flats however, not a nice car. I wonder if a tilt/ hydralic bed trailer would work, sort of like a modern car hauler rig. If nothing else a modified car dolly might work. Good luck!

Darwin T

there is a curt receiver hitch that will work on a deuce. before i went with wehring's hitch i was look at the curt and i think the price plus installation was less than $350.00. then you can rent a u-haul car dolly, unless you plan to haul your vet alot. with a receiver hitch you can haul any trailer. if you need them there are 24 volt magnetic tow light that can plug into your deuce plug.

91W350

Corvettes do not belong on a tow dolly.. The hitch and rented trailer sounds viable. Is the engine in the Corvette highly modified? Why not have a friend drive it down or you fly back to get it? I spent a lot of time on the road in Corvettes, fun and capable transportation. Glen

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
When you get to Edmond, look us up. There are a few SS members in Edmond.

We also have a 4th of July and Christmas Light Parade each year. Takes place in downtown Edmond. We usually win one of the top three spots.

As far as the trailer question, with the lowered car your options are limited. Special traile and a tow hitch. Doubt you can do it for under $1000.

You may be able to find a loading dock that you can use to drive the vette onto the trailer.

Last edited:

BadMastard

I'm going with Gimpyrobb and Darwin T on this one, with one small modification. Your deuce is probably going to be kicking up some debris while driving, you might want to consider an enclosed trailer. That is assuming you don't want to put miles on the Vette and have someone else drive. I'm sure you have lots of volunteers for that! Loading dock would work for most taller trailers, and don't be scared, but I have seen cars loaded by forklift. Mind you, 1 and 1/2 clearance is going to be tough no matter what you do! If it goes well, send pics! If it goes poorly, send more pics and we'll all commiserate with you. I admit seeing a deuce pulling a Vette makes me think Beauty and the Beast. Or would it be a vet with a Vette?

hwcurtice

Leave the Corvette or the Deuce with me! I've got, um... well, not nearly enough for either one...

Well, it was worth a shot, right?

I would think any tilt bed trailer would work. And any good welder could put a lunette ring on a civy trailer. You might still need ramps, depending on the rate of tilt.

Don't forget get trailer brakes too... And lights. All kinds of things to consider...

RDUKW

How about putting your stuff in a m105 trailer and loading the vette in the back of the truck at a loading dock. We have seen several people on here with cars in the back.

Ryan

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Put a hitch on the Vette, and tow the Deuce with it! (be sure to post pics)

Go to your church, ask the pastor/minister for a few names of people out of work, then ask if any of them want to drive your car and ride a bus home, at your expense + a few hundred.

natem

Do what I did, sell the vett. More $$$$ for green stuff it's more fun anyway. You can't trail ride in a vett and 155+ just gets ya in trouble! (please don't ask how I know[thumbzup])

Nate

papercu

Just put the vette in the glove box and who says you can't trail ride in a vertte. Wayne
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xR9hiDRVIlk[/media]

Nonotagain

Do what I did, sell the vett. More $$$$ for green stuff it's more fun anyway. You can't trail ride in a vett and 155+ just gets ya in trouble! (please don't ask how I know[thumbzup])

Nate
That may be true, but women in short skirts look fantastic getting into and out of a lowered Corvette. [thumbzup]

Most women don't care for green iron, my girlfriend included.

I vote for a trailer hitch on the deuce and a U-haul car trailer for the car. If the trailer deck sits too tall, just ride the deuce wheels up on a 6x6 and that will lower the trailer deck in the rear.