• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I wanted to pick your brains and see if you could help me with what could be a major

TaylorTradingCo

problem

I had what I think is the same problem on one of the first Deuces I ever bought. I got it home and it drove great. I pulled it into a parking space and the next time I went to drive it it wouldn't back up. It was just like you said, you let out on the clutch to back up and it would start and then kind of bounce back.

What I found was that if I could move it forward a good bit, it would unstick whatever it was. It wouldn't do it all of the time and there was no way to predict when it would happen. Coincidentally, this truck was the most cherry of any I have ever had. It only had what I believe to be 3000 miles on it. The gauges all matched the paint and everything appeared as new.

I think it was in the transfer case or one of the rear axle differentials. I never did try hard to figure it out.

Some guy came along and thought he had to have it, so I let him.

Derek Taylor

RANDYDIRT

I will give you 10 bucks if it isn't the parking brake. I had the same thing this past winter. Reach between the cab and bed from the passenger side and pull the parking brake actuator towards you. You probably just need some lube or a new return spring. Do not try to force it to release by moving the truck, as it may oblong your E-Brake hub, and then we have big problems.

Lonesome715

I think you all might be right. I am going to spend more time on the parking brake in the morning and se if that is the issue. I had two on two different trucks freeze up on me in the past. This time it is not froze up, but I do not know what it is doing when I put it in reverse.

Lonesome715

I think I found the issue. Thos of you that told me the parking brake might to be to blame were correct. I thought because it was releasing it was fine. But when I back up it does grab. So now I ask, what is the best way to repair it properly? I have had nothing but trouble out of these parking brakes so I would love to remove it altogether. But, that is most likely not a very sound decision.

Lonesome715

I just got out there with a bunch of rags and brake clean. That was a greasy beast. Even after cleaning it the brake assembly still wants to grab when in reverse. Do I have to take it apart to repair this problem? Or is there and adjustment I can make from under the truck? Please dumb down your answer becuase this job is new to me.

Capt.Marion

I guarantee you there's a section in the TM on adjusting the parking brake. There are (I think) two adjusting screws/bolts on the parking brake mechanism that you use to adjust it... you don't have to take it apart.

I have never done it myself, but I've had the process explained to me, and I've spent a while sitting under the truck studying the whole contraption.

I have had my parking brake lock up on me (I had the truck parked right in front of the garage, so it was interesting), and I had to pull forward to get the parking brake to unstick, and then I was good. Haven't had it happen since. However, since yours keeps sticking, it sounds like you have to adjust yours.

Last edited:

Capt.Marion

Also, to clear up the Sprag Transfer-case confusion:

The sprag transfer-case automatically engages the front axle when the rear axles loose traction. This is used on all M39/M54 series 5 tons and all M809 5 tons, as well as some older, non-rebuilt deuces.

The airshift transfer-case uses a switch hanging on the bottom of the dash (it says 'IN' and 'OUT' and has a light on it for when the front axle is engaged) that uses compressed air (hence the name "air-shift") to engage the front axle when you flip the switch to "IN."

If your truck is an '87, it definitely should have an airshift transfer case and NOT a Sprag.

badgmc56

Lonesome, First thing to check is if all pivot points of the parking brake assembly are free and lubed up. Next thing to check , is there clearance betwwen the parking brake drum and shoes when the parking brake is released. If not then somthing is holding the shoes to the drum or you need to back off on the adjustment. The adjustment is kind of a pain to get to. Mine was so hard to move I had to remove the trans tunnel cover to get at it with the right kind of wrench.

Lonesome715

I found the adjustment rod and it is very easy to do. However, I do not think it is an adjustment issue. It only haapens when the truck is going in reverse. The last time it was stuck I smacked it with a hammer and it let go. That is what I had to to on two other tucks. But those froze up after the parking brake was enguaged. Plus, they require multiple hard smacks to unfreeze. This situation is a little different. I already took it apart because at the very least I figured it needed a good cleaning. I also wanted to inspect it. It is a pretty simple assembly. However I am still not certain after it is reassembled, cleaned, and lubricated the problem will be fixed. Does every thing look normal in the photograph?

Thanks for clearing up the srag issue. I always thought the older trucks that do not have the lever on the dash were full time six wheel drive.

Attachments

RANDYDIRT

Reach between the cab and bed from the passenger side and pull the parking brake actuator towards you. There are 3 springs on the E brake, the inner pull, the outer pull and the mustache. On my truck the outer pull-back is the weakest spring. It will lock up in reverse if the outer spring doesn't pull the shoe free.

Lonesome715

That souds like that might be my problem. There was only one spring up in the top area and the mustache spring. Where can I locate a diagram of where the srings are suppose to be?

Lonesome715

Not yet. I can only work on it on the weekends. This coming weekend I will pull the drum so I can clean that as well. Then I will reasemble it and see out it does.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
in winter it is not uncommon for the cable to freeze with water that has gotten in it. sounds like your cable is not releasing freely.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks